Ride1up range per battery charge

I wondered about that...same applies though. Give 'em a call and see what you can find out. Ride1up is also here in CA, San Diego - Aventon is near LA.
My hunch is that you cannot easily make program changes with these various controllers out of china. I would be happy to be wrong. ;)

Most companies that aren't Trek/Specialized are operating on a similar basis. Partnered with a Chinese factory like Motorlife, enwe, etc etc. Juiced, Radrover, Aventon, Luna, etc. There isn't anything inherently wrong with this, but it not as simple as just slapping a logo on their models as I'm sure you would expect. I also do a load of customization with frame geometry, components, features, etc. It's just the simple fact that the entire manufacturing process is tied to Chinese or Taiwanese factories. They want to grow as well and don't have the patience to wait for my business, or iGo, or Rambo, or M2S, or whoever that company is to grow large enough for their capacity; so naturally, they market to everyone they can. Our process is also quite similar to the hundreds of other bikes which you have mentioned and tested. Our business models, designs, and missions all differ a bit, but again, the process and supply chain is quite similar. course we want our site to be as sales'y/promotional as possible, but I am a huge advocate of transparency.

Except Aventon owns their own factory. This is per the staff and management at Aventon. So what else in your paragraph is also not accurate ?

Hello Browneye, sorry, I meant the ride1up 500, not the Aventon 500. (I liked the Aventon, except for the abrupt accel in PAS 1 and the no zero throttle.)

The ride1up has 9 assist levels, and I am hoping that an owner can comment on changing to 5 levels and setting the power/speed on each level.

Hey, yes, you can change the PAS to 5 levels instead of 9. The display manual will tell you how. We have it on our support page under 'owners docs'

Except Aventon owns their own factory. This is per the staff and management at Aventon. So what else in your paragraph is also not accurate ?
The Aventon factory owner is Chinese. They have been in business a long time, so now they don't make bikes in partnership with other companies. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, just not much of a different story. Just a different approach.

Hey, yes, you can change the PAS to 5 levels instead of 9. The display manual will tell you how. We have it on our support page under 'owners docs'
I spoke with ride1up customer service a few days ago, and he said there is no way to adjust the number of levels. Not sure who is right here?

Reviewed manual and do not see any mention of changing # of PAS levels. Also went into setup menu of the controller itself and saw no settings related to PAS.

Hey guys, sorry if one of our support reps gave you the wrong info, this is Kevin, the owner. You can indeed switch the PAS options to 3, 5 or 9 levels.
Here is the LCD manual for the 500.
And here is the LCD manual for the 700
These are also located on the support pages under owners docs.

For the 500 series, here are the instructions:
◆Assistance Level Settings Assistance Level option In assistance level settings, there are 8 modes to select: 0-3, 1-3, 0- 5, 1-5, 0-7, 1-7, 0-9, 1-9. The default value is 0-5. To select the mode of assistance level, press the UP/DOWN button to increase or decrease until the desired setting is displayed. To store the changed setting and access the PAS ratio settings page, press the MODE button.

Hey guys, sorry if one of our support reps gave you the wrong info, this is Kevin, the owner. You can indeed switch the PAS options to 3, 5 or 9 levels.
Here is the LCD manual for the 500.
And here is the LCD manual for the 700
These are also located on the support pages under owners docs.

For the 500 series, here are the instructions:
◆Assistance Level Settings Assistance Level option In assistance level settings, there are 8 modes to select: 0-3, 1-3, 0- 5, 1-5, 0-7, 1-7, 0-9, 1-9. The default value is 0-5. To select the mode of assistance level, press the UP/DOWN button to increase or decrease until the desired setting is displayed. To store the changed setting and access the PAS ratio settings page, press the MODE button.
Very impressive to have this level of user choice and customization !!

I bought a Ride1up bike about 3 weeks ago, and I am having an issue that I would like to see if others have experienced also. The range of the battery is important to me. The range for this battery is 25-50 miles per charge. After my first charge I barely squeaked out 20 miles riding mostly at Level 7 (out of 9 levels) and just a couple of moderate hills. I emailed Kevin, the owner, and asked if I had received a good battery. His response is that that mileage sounded normal for the conditions and that maybe check the psi on the tires and it may take a few cycles to get the battery "up to speed". The psi was low so I filled the tires. I have charged the battery six times hoping that a few cycles would improve the mileage. Once I got 21 miles before the battery cut out, but it is usually 20 miles per charge. If 20 miles is the standard for normal usage, then why is the low end not rated at 20? I ride about 12 miles a day, so the difference between 20 and 25 miles is the difference between charging once every two days and having to charge it every day. That is significant. Is any other Ride1up owners getting only 20 miles per charge? How on earth could a person get 50 miles out of a single charge? (BTW, I have been riding electric bikes for over 3 1/2 years and have had experience with about 6 different ebikes, so I am not a newbie to ebikes).

I know this is an old thread but if you're riding all the way up at level 7 I don't know how you would expect to get the highest quoted range out of the battery? My ride1up 700 series regularly gets that many miles. I wrote it the other day for a 33 mi and it was still showing 34% charge. However I'm mostly on flat terrain and I'm using PAS most of the time between level two and four, occasionally I'll bump a little higher for a steep section. If you're on level seven then I would imagine the battery is doing most of the work so it won't last nearly as long.

I know this is an old thread but if you're riding all the way up at level 7 I don't know how you would expect to get the highest quoted range out of the battery? My ride1up 700 series regularly gets that many miles. I wrote it the other day for a 33 mi and it was still showing 34% charge. However I'm mostly on flat terrain and I'm using PAS most of the time between level two and four, occasionally I'll bump a little higher for a steep section. If you're on level seven then I would imagine the battery is doing most of the work so it won't last nearly as long.
On these Ride1Up bikes, it doesn't tell you much when you state PAS levels with the exception of PAS 0 unless you give your percentage or actual power output (which also varies depending on the battery's charge). For example, PAS 4 on one bike may be set to 20%, and set to 80% on another, which is more likely if one is using 0-9 and the other is using 0-5. So, those bikes would give very different results when both are set to PAS 4.

Range will vary tremendously based on various things. I get amazing range riding in PAS 0. lol But moving between various PAS levels and using plenty of muscle power, using <130 watts except on some big hills, I got 75 miles on my original charge as received and could have gone further.

Another note - don't go by the percentage in the display. I changed mine to voltage first thing. You can reference the voltage chart on Ride1Up's site to see how that translates into the actual percentage of charge. For example, my battery came charged to 51.5 V and showed 98% on the 700's display. But the battery chart shows this is 80% charged. So, I just changed the display to always show voltage instead of percent.

On these Ride1Up bikes, it doesn't tell you much when you state PAS levels with the exception of PAS 0 unless you give your percentage or actual power output (which also varies depending on the battery's charge). For example, PAS 4 on one bike may be set to 20%, and set to 80% on another, which is more likely if one is using 0-9 and the other is using 0-5. So, those bikes would give very different results when both are set to PAS 4.

Range will vary tremendously based on various things. I get amazing range riding in PAS 0. lol But moving between various PAS levels and using plenty of muscle power, using <130 watts except on some big hills, I got 75 miles on my original charge as received and could have gone further.

Another note - don't go by the percentage in the display. I changed mine to voltage first thing. You can reference the voltage chart on Ride1Up's site to see how that translates into the actual percentage of charge. For example, my battery came charged to 51.5 V and showed 98% on the 700's display. But the battery chart shows this is 80% charged. So, I just changed the display to always show voltage instead of percent.

I did the same. I fully charged the battery until it wouldn't accept any more and then measured the voltage on it and set that to be 100%. I found when I first got the battery I could ride for 20 miles and it's still read 100%. My question was is the voltage reading displayed accurate? I figured when I sent the reading of 100% to be accurate I said 0% to be down around 41 volts where Kevin said the battery pretty much stops power in the motor. And then all of those intervals in between I just did an even divisions so if I do put it on percentage it should be relatively accurate.
I realize that the PAS levels are customizable so it's hard to know what his level 7 is but I doubt he got the bike right out of the box and adjusted level 7 to be a low percentage. Again I don't know why anyone would expect to set the PAS level really high for the entire ride and expect long range. Just like if you were using purely throttle you wouldn't expect much out of it.

I did the same. I fully charged the battery until it wouldn't accept any more and then measured the voltage on it and set that to be 100%. I found when I first got the battery I could ride for 20 miles and it's still read 100%. My question was is the voltage reading displayed accurate? I figured when I sent the reading of 100% to be accurate I said 0% to be down around 41 volts where Kevin said the battery pretty much stops power in the motor. And then all of those intervals in between I just did an even divisions so if I do put it on percentage it should be relatively accurate.
I realize that the PAS levels are customizable so it's hard to know what his level 7 is but I doubt he got the bike right out of the box and adjusted level 7 to be a low percentage. Again I don't know why anyone would expect to set the PAS level really high for the entire ride and expect long range. Just like if you were using purely throttle you wouldn't expect much out of it.
I've never charged mine above 51.5 V or let it drop below 44 V yet. But I don't do much biking this time of year. It's supposed to be nice this weekend, though, so I'll be out on it again.

My chain hasn't fallen off yet. But I've only dropped down to as low as second gear briefly on one ride, and I'm almost always in the top few gears riding on paved roads.

Last edited:
I've never charged mine above 51.5 V or let it drop below 44 V yet. But I don't do much biking this time of year. It's supposed to be nice this weekend, though, so I'll be out on it again.

My chain hasn't fallen off yet. But I've only dropped down to as low as second gear briefly on one ride, and I'm almost always in the top few gears riding on paved roads.
I'll be on mine Sunday and Monday. In 800 miles I've never had the chain fall off, knock on wood .

What is the maximum charge rate for the 500's 13Ah battery? I would also like to know the maximum charge rate for the optional 16.7Ah and the 17.5Ah batteries.
I need to charge the battery fast. Here are examples of 3A and 4A chargers.

Answering my own question: at least 3 amps for the 13Ah battery. It went from 47.3V to 53.4V in 1:45 time.

Back