Review - Voilamart Ebike Kit 26" Front Wheel 48V 1000W?

Ebike_Lover

Hi Folks

I used the below kit to build an electric bike recently. Has any of you guys used this hub motor? How's the review?

https://www.amazon.com/Voilamart-El...ay&sprefix=voilama,aps,184&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I built 2 different types of battery myself - used the below batteries to produce 52+ Amps

3.2 V 5400 mAh LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate 32700 Battery Cells 32650
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-2-V-5400...Cells-32650-/283331667422?hash=item41f7e225de

18650 Li-ion Batteries Flashlight Rechargeable Battery 2200mAh 3.7V
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-Li-i...hash=item2cd3b18270:m:mO4CD_2iX75wRiAbmEtUx5g

Even though I have a powerful batteries, I hardly go at 16mph speed with pedaling (100% effort). I was expecting the speed to be at least 25mph with zero effort. I was expecting a drastic improvement with the 2nd battery I built using the Li-Ion batteries, but the speed is exactly the same.
I am now considering buying either a new controller for the hub motor OR buy another 1000W hub motor. I am confident about the battery but not 100% sure about the hub motor performance. Would really appreciate if any of any of you guys can provide some guidance to me.

Thanks.

How abut some details about the two batteries? Construction? How many cells? How do you know it has 50+ amp capability?

16 mph with maximum pedal effort suggests you're doing most of the work and the mptor is doing nothing. Something is wrong.

Hi Harry,
I used 52 cells in series for "3.2 V 5400 mAh LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate 32700 Battery Cells 32650" batteries and confirmed consistent 52+amp with a multi meter. Similarly I used 49 cells in series for "18650 Li-ion Batteries Flashlight Rechargeable Battery 2200mAh 3.7V" batteries and get a similar reading on the multi meter.
I feel the motor is not performing the way it should have... maybe because the controller which came with the motor is limiting it (no way to program it?).
Thanks

Sorry to say that I believe you are using the wrong terms here. You didn't really wire 52 or 49 cells in series? That would make a battery of 150 to almost 200 volts. I am also puzzled when you say you measured 52 amp with a multimeter.

Your statements about your batteries causes concern. Lithium batteries are quite dangerous if wired wrong, or not charged properly, so I would hope you have all of that covered first.

You have two different kinds of chemistries here. The batteries will have different voltages at full charge, so you need two different chargers or a charger where you can set the proper voltage.

You didn't mention any battery management systems (BMS). You will need a BMS specific to each type of cell, LIFEPO4 or 18650 LiMn. Running without a BMS is very dangerous.

I think the cells you picked are not good enough to run a Voilamart motor at 1000W but should provide the few amps needed to run at 15 mph.

What load did you use to measure the 52 amp? The hub motor with the tire off the ground won't draw that much. I used two 5 ohm 225 W resistors in series to try to get 4.8 amps out of the 48v LiFePo4 battery I bought from e-bay rated at 50 A. It failed, voltage collapsed to 8.8 from 51.5. So I bought another new battery from a vendor that wasn't into fraud.
I don't know of any dvm that will read 50 amps DC. You would have to use a precision shunt rated for 50 A and measure the millivolts developed across it. They only shunts I have are limited to 5 amps max. You can read 50 A AC with an amp clamp, but batteries are DC.
Most cells for bicycle motors have a 3 or 3.5 A continuous draw limit. So battery builders use 10-15 stacks of 14 cells. Flashlight rated cells have more like a 1 amp limit. The BMS makes the different stacks charge evenly near full voltage.
The guy who soldered his own battery here in town, I only saw him and his bike at the grocery one time. I have been going down there with my battery installed weekly since October. I bought it from lunacycle.com If you live in Canada, grin technology is reputable. If you live in Hong Kong people recommend Em3ev.
My 1000 W 48v power wheel from e-bay will push my bike shown left to about 20 mph with a 17.5 ah 48 v battery from luna. I can't pedal that fast to help it with 52:14 sprockets.

Last edited:
This is awesome info buddy, thanks for sharing. I live in Fremont, California so Luna should work out for me I guess. I'll share your data with my buddy who helped me build the battery. Thanks again

Hi Folks

I used the below kit to build an electric bike recently. Has any of you guys used this hub motor? How's the review?

https://www.amazon.com/Voilamart-Electric-Conversion-Intelligent-Controller/dp/B07Q7FJ8ZY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=6P9XBUK5N8LH&keywords=voilamart+electric+bicycle+kit&qid=1557184182&s=gateway&sprefix=voilama,aps,184&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I built 2 different types of battery myself - used the below batteries to produce 52+ Amps

3.2 V 5400 mAh LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate 32700 Battery Cells 32650
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-2-V-5400...Cells-32650-/283331667422?hash=item41f7e225de

18650 Li-ion Batteries Flashlight Rechargeable Battery 2200mAh 3.7V
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-Li-i...hash=item2cd3b18270:m:mO4CD_2iX75wRiAbmEtUx5g

Even though I have a powerful batteries, I hardly go at 16mph speed with pedaling (100% effort). I was expecting the speed to be at least 25mph with zero effort. I was expecting a drastic improvement with the 2nd battery I built using the Li-Ion batteries, but the speed is exactly the same.
I am now considering buying either a new controller for the hub motor OR buy another 1000W hub motor. I am confident about the battery but not 100% sure about the hub motor performance. Would really appreciate if any of any of you guys can provide some guidance to me.

Thanks.
Hi, Are you aware that this particular kit has a blue wire going to the controller that needs to be disconnected to access the 1000w? When the blue wire is connected it's only 250w. When disconnected it will travel at 28mph+ but when connected it only does 16mph. Hope this helps.

Hi Bogsy,
Yes I recently disconnected the blue wire and now I am flying :). Earlier I had connected it coz my battery kept tripping when I used to increase the speed. With the new battery/controller in place now, haven't had the tripping issue. I am going at 25+ mph for now, which is plenty for me. In fact I reduce the throttle so I can get some exercise done as well.
Thanks for the comment.

Yep, tell me about the controller for this motor. I've had 3 of them burnt out on me. The motor itself is fantastic value but the controller is a piece of crap. Did you find a compatible replacement? If so can you provide a link or give me the details of where to buy them? Glad you're finally flying bud....:) I've not had this much fun since I was a child. Take care. :)

I agree with you Bogsy, loving the experience. I live in the Bay Area and my work is near FaceBook. I make it to work much faster than my colleagues in car :)
I thought of upgrading the controller for the motor but I did not. I just built a new battery pack with a new BMS. That did the trick for me. But I agree with you, if I change the controller, it would definitely upgrade my experience.
By the way the battery BMS system has a bluetooth component so I can get all the battery info on the phone (% remaining, miles, temperature etc)
Thanks.

Back