Review Ride1Up Prodigy V2 XR (chain version)

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
I acquired the Prodigy V2 XR chain version, and it boasts a premium feel, offering solid stability at high speeds. The attention to detail at this price point is remarkable, drawing parallels to my Specialized Vado 4. While not an apples-to-apples comparison due to the Vado's larger battery and less powerful motor, the V2 stands out with its Brose 90nm (380%) motor, surpassing the Vado 4’s Brose 70nm (320%). Riding mostly in ECO mode, I estimate around 85 miles on a single charge at roughly 60% support, with a preference for the Tour setting at 100%. The 4-piston disc brakes outshine those on my Trek 8s, and Ride1up has crafted a quality e-bike with notable features, including a well-performing "unbranded" air fork. While desiring a light-off feature and ANT+ support for my Garmin, I acknowledge the absence of these features on my Trek 8s, which was priced at $4500.00 (USD). The Prodigy V2 operates whisper-silently, and its speed, reaching 28mph effortlessly even in Sport mode, makes it a formidable choice. Considering the competitive price, Ride1up's offering will be challenging to beat. Without hesitation, I highly recommend the Prodigy V2 and would purchase it again.

Attachments

• 20240210_162748.jpg
    20240210_162748.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
Nice review. Those are good looking bikes that I took a look at. My problem is the one size fits all geometry. This is why I prefer actual, long established bike companies like Specialized that make different frame sizes as opposed to just using longer or shorter seat posts. I have a Vado in an XL that fits my 6’3 frame perfectly. The Prodigy looks like it would be a bit too small for me.

Nice review. Those are good looking bikes that I took a look at. My problem is the one size fits all geometry. This is why I prefer actual, long established bike companies like Specialized that make different frame sizes as opposed to just using longer or shorter seat posts. I have a Vado in an XL that fits my 6’3 frame perfectly. The Prodigy looks like it would be a bit too small for me.
Thanks for the comments. Yes, this is a nice bike, especially for the price. I am 6'2, and it is a tight fit. I purchased a longer seat post (400mm), and that solved that problem. I did advise another rider in a separate forum concerning which bike to pick; the Prodigy V2 or the Vado 4. The Vado 4 at $3250 is the best deal going. The V2 is $2400, but what you do get for the $850 difference is Mission Control, Specialized's dealer network, and the massive 710w battery. Those three to me are worth the extra pennies....yet, folks that are on a budget, and who don't travel to far on their rides (20 to 30 miles), the V2 is hard to beat in my opinion. I also own a Trek Allant 8s, and still the Vado 4 is my favorite.

I am considering the Prodigy V2 step-through w/ the CVT (Gates belt). Saw a YouTube review that they got more miles than estimated. Only going 20-30 would concern me. Why do you think it would only get 20-30? Appreciate your thoughts on that.

I am considering the Prodigy V2 step-through w/ the CVT (Gates belt). Saw a YouTube review that they got more miles than estimated. Only going 20-30 would concern me. Why do you think it would only get 20-30? Appreciate your thoughts on that.
Greetings. Let me try to explain. I have seen similar videos on YouTube in reference to the Prodigy V2, claiming as high as 73 miles in TOUR mode. In my testing, I have only registered roughly 50 miles in Tour mode (almost 100% support), which is still excellent. ECO mode, which is almost 60% motor support, for me, would yield an estimated 80 miles on one charge. Now, I am north of 250lbs, so my range may be lower than others. I also used to own a Giant Fast Road EX Pro with 80nm and a 500w battery, and the Prodigy V2's current range, matches that ebike's. The Prodigy V2 is more powerful than the Giant, but is noticeably cheaper, so the Prodigy V2 really is a good purchase. I have no regrets. Hope that helps.

I've noticed that my travel speed through the air is related to my battery usage. Going faster (or against a strong headwind) reduces my range. Easy, leisurely pedaling contributes to longer range, similar to how driving an automobile at a slower speed on the highway will add range. This is one factor to consider in anecdotal range claims since everyone's different and the conditions they're pedaling in are different.

Thanks for the writeup! I think I've almost decided to get the belt drive V2 (welcome anyone's input/review of that as well!). But had a question about the rear rack that's standard on the Prodigy V2 - it looks a little funky in terms of the setup - have you had any issues attaching panniers or other bags to it that aren't sold by Ride1Up?

I've got some TwoWheelGear panniers that I love and use daily to transport suits/shirts to work, and am a little nervous they might not fit due to the weird double piping on the rack and square-looking tubing.

Thanks for the writeup! I think I've almost decided to get the belt drive V2 (welcome anyone's input/review of that as well!). But had a question about the rear rack that's standard on the Prodigy V2 - it looks a little funky in terms of the setup - have you had any issues attaching panniers or other bags to it that aren't sold by Ride1Up?

I've got some TwoWheelGear panniers that I love and use daily to transport suits/shirts to work, and am a little nervous they might not fit due to the weird double piping on the rack and square-looking tubing.
Greetings. The V2 has been great, and when I did have the rack, I ran standard Basil and Topeak bags with no problems. The rack is very sturdy, and panniers would not be a problem. I removed the front and rear racks because I just wanted a fun bike to ride single track on and explore. I also own a Vado 4 and Trek 8s…they both have their fenders, and they are the go-to bikes for bad weather or rain. Hope that helps…
Prodigy V2 no fenders.jpg

Back