Review of PXCycle E-XC+28 mph urban electric mountain bike

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
A great price for a mid-drive Ebike, but remember that this is a Kickstarter campaign. ;)

Portland-based PXCycle’s E-XC series of urban electric mountain bikes was already popular with its rider base. But now the bike shop is launching a new version of the e-bike that takes it another step further. With a new mid-drive motor and the same rugged utility-oriented design, this is an e-bike you’ll definitely want to check out. Like most e-bikes these days, there seems to be a pretty big disparity between the MSRP and the sale price. While the PXCycle has a list price of between $2,995 to $3,395 for various power levels and battery capacities, you’ll find the e-bike on sale when it hits Kickstarter for 50% off of those prices. That. Is. Huge. We’re talking $1,695 for a 600W mid-drive e-bike with over 500Wh of battery and plenty of respectable components that are built to last. There’s also going to be a 36V version of the bike with a still-respectable 400W of power with a sale price of just $1,495.

PXCycle E-XC+ tech specs
There are multiple models of the PXCycle E-XC+. Below are the specs for the version I tested.

• Motor: 600 W mid-drive
  • Top speed: 20 mph (32 km/h) on throttle, 28 mph (45 km/h) on pedal assist
  • Range: 20-60 miles (32-96 km)
  • Battery: 48V 11Ah (528Wh) semi-integrated, removable
  • Frame: 6061 Aluminum
  • Suspension: Suntour spring suspension fork
  • Brakes: Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
  • Extras: LCD display with speedometer, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, odometer, 5-speed settings, thumb throttle, built-in rear rack, and bolt-on front rack, included front and rear fenders

For anyone interested in this bike, I recently got a chance to test ride it. I am often in Portland and since I was interested myself, I contacted the owner who let me check out a preproduction bike similar to what electrek got to review.

First off the owner, Gunther is great. I stopped over for what I thought would be a 20 minute quick look at the bike but ended up chatting with him about ebikes for hours. I learned so much about ebikes and he is very passionate about them. The bike is very solidly made but surprisingly light. I came in thinking 65 pounds because that what was listed on his website, but I found out that was an error and it weights between 52 to 56 is depending on frame options. The bike has a really powerful mid drive motor that on the test model was silent to my ears. The owner told me that he has tried most of the ebike motors on the market and this is the one he prefers for power and reliability. I don't have much to compare to as I have limited e bike experience but the power was so smooth, it was like there was no motor, just a really easy to pedal bike. I loved how strong the built in racks were and how at the indigogo price point of about 1800 dollars you get a solid mid drive bike, that has full fenders, racks and is light and well designed. I will be ordering one myself when the indigogo starts on March 2nd. I was really impressed with the company and the value of the bike. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of getting this bike. I am new to this forum. I have been lurking for a while but I didn't have anything to post so I never signed up.

I was working at Gunther's shop when his first container hit town and assembled the first one out of the box and sold it to the first guy who came through the door. I also have ridden them and agree that the motor is strong and reliable with an excellent torque sensor. It is a 48v system opposed to 36v which some companies are starting to do, such as the Spec Mahle engined bikes. I'm surprised he didn't have one to sell you right away because he had another container shipped over last fall and I guess he must have sold them all.

It is hard to get Gunther to stop once you get him going for sure.

I was working at Gunther's shop when his first container hit town and assembled the first one out of the box and sold it to the first guy who came through the door. I also have ridden them and agree that the motor is strong and reliable with an excellent torque sensor. It is a 48v system opposed to 36v which some companies are starting to do, such as the Spec Mahle engined bikes. I'm surprised he didn't have one to sell you right away because he had another container shipped over last fall and I guess he must have sold them all.

It is hard to get Gunther to stop once you get him going for sure.
Yeah he is sold out of the version 2 and I would wait for the version 3 (indiegogo version) anyway as I think the price reduction and improved motor are worth the wait.

For anyone interested in this bike, I recently got a chance to test ride it. I am often in Portland and since I was interested myself, I contacted the owner who let me check out a preproduction bike similar to what electrek got to review.

First off the owner, Gunther is great. I stopped over for what I thought would be a 20 minute quick look at the bike but ended up chatting with him about ebikes for hours. I learned so much about ebikes and he is very passionate about them. The bike is very solidly made but surprisingly light. I came in thinking 65 pounds because that what was listed on his website, but I found out that was an error and it weights between 52 to 56 is depending on frame options. The bike has a really powerful mid drive motor that on the test model was silent to my ears. The owner told me that he has tried most of the ebike motors on the market and this is the one he prefers for power and reliability. I don't have much to compare to as I have limited e bike experience but the power was so smooth, it was like there was no motor, just a really easy to pedal bike. I loved how strong the built in racks were and how at the indigogo price point of about 1800 dollars you get a solid mid drive bike, that has full fenders, racks and is light and well designed. I will be ordering one myself when the indigogo starts on March 2nd. I was really impressed with the company and the value of the bike. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of getting this bike. I am new to this forum. I have been lurking for a while but I didn't have anything to post so I never signed up.
Thanks for the independent review!

Looks PXCycle has now introduced 2 additional models of the E-XC with better specs... 😉

The pXCycle is available in a few different models with varying specs and accessory loadouts. They all include an urban mountain bike frame with front suspension, hydraulic disc brakes, and a mid-drive motor with a torque sensor for engaging pedal assist. The major differences between the models are the speed and power specs.

The entry-level pXcycle EX-C 250 has the lowest power limit pre-programmed into the motor, limiting it to 250W of power. The bike can reach a top speed of 20 mph in the US or 25 km/h in Europe. There’s no throttle, which keeps the bike classified as a Class 1 e-bike in the US and a street-legal e-bike in Europe. The bike sports a small-ish 36V 10Ah battery, though the range is still listed as up to 60 miles (96 km) thanks to the efficient pedal assist operation of this model. On higher pedal assist settings though, expect to see lower range figures. The pXcycle EX-C 250 is currently available for $1,295, which is a 50% discount from its $2,590 MSRP. An additional $200 can upgrade you to the pXcycle EX-C+, which comes with a larger 36V 13Ah battery, integrated LED lighting and both a front and rear rack.

For those seeking more power and speed, the pXcycle EX-C+ 400 is priced at $1,595 and swaps in a 48V 10Ah battery that boosts the top speed up to 28 mph (45 km/h)
. This model peaks at 600W of power and also includes the built-in front and rear racks as well as the integrated LED lighting.

Anyone looking for the highest power will want to check out the pXcycle EX-C+ 600, which peaks at 850W of power and sports a 48V 14Ah battery. The bike also includes the same integrated LED lighting and front/rear racks as the previous “plus” models. All of the bikes can accept a throttle add-on for those that don’t want to be stuck pedaling 100% of the time. The bikes also sport backlit displays, 9-speed Shimano drivetrains, alloy pedals and all-terrain tires.

"Throttle enabled", "48 V" and the battery capacity expressed in Ah means FlatSix911 you're wasting your life for reporting a low class Chinese ebike. Don't tell me you'd need a voltmeter to determine the battery charge 🤣

I'm sorry but I'm in nasty mood tonight.

I'm new to ebikes but not to battery systems, but what's wrong with listing it as V and Ah. It's more information then just saying the watts because it let's you know how much power you can pull at one time. I also Don't think you can call this low class as it uses top quality battery cells and one of the better motors on the market. Well for the American version. I have no idea about the 250 w euro version.

"Throttle enabled", "48 V" and the battery capacity expressed in Ah means FlatSix911 you're wasting your life for reporting a low class Chinese ebike. Don't tell me you'd need a voltmeter to determine the battery charge 🤣

I'm sorry but I'm in nasty mood tonight.
Different strokes for different folks... this bike is competing with the DTC market, not the big 4 OEM brands. 😉

With a powerful mid-drive motor and higher-end components than you’d expect to find at this price, the company is taking aim at some other popular urban e-bikes on the market.
In a table posted on the sales page, pXcycle compares the EX-C+ to e-bikes including the Mate X, RadCity, and Juiced CrossCurrent X. I don’t know how well the range figures would hold up in a real-world heads up test as they all have fairly similar battery capacities, but the other figures such as weight, torque, and that mid-drive motor all speak for themselves.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-05-at-9.25.54-AM.jpg

Last edited:
Or some people just don't know how wh's are calculated so they can figure it out for themselves.

Hint: VxAh = Wh's

It's better than lots of folks on here saying they have or want to have a xxx watt battery in order to peddle their bike further...

To be clear this is not Gunther's first container load of bikes, it would be his third. He has spent the time to solidify his lines of supply and and get the best components speced as possible for the price point. He obviously wants to expand on that and going CS funding will allow him to bring in more bikes and to me, that even thought the Gen1 bikes @ 1800 were a bargain, then as now there is no comparison as per the above chart and that lays it out nicely.

These DC bikes can be all over the place price, build quality and most of all customer service before and after the sale wise. Although most have never heard of PXCycles obviously they have struck a chord with Micah and he tested his Gen 2 and liked it also.

Problem is that there are other bikes upcoming hovering around the $2k pricepoint that are more sophisticated like fully integrated batteries etc. like the excellent Zen ones coming out.

Or some people just don't know how wh's are calculated so they can figure it out for themselves.

Hint: VxAh = Wh's

It's better than lots of folks on here saying they have or want to have a xxx watt battery in order to peddle their bike further...

To be clear this is not Gunther's first container load of bikes, it would be his third. He has spent the time to solidify his lines of supply and and get the best components speced as possible for the price point. He obviously wants to expand on that and going CS funding will allow him to bring in more bikes and to me, that even thought the Gen1 bikes @ 1800 were a bargain, then as now there is no comparison as per the above chart and that lays it out nicely.

These DC bikes can be all over the place price, build quality and most of all customer service before and after the sale wise. Although most have never heard of PXCycles obviously they have struck a chord with Micah and he tested his Gen 2 and liked it also.

Problem is that there are other bikes upcoming hovering around the $2k pricepoint that are more sophisticated like fully integrated batteries etc. like the excellent Zen ones coming out.

You said, "Problem is that there are other bikes upcoming hovering around the $2k pricepoint that are more sophisticated like fully integrated batteries etc. like the excellent Zen ones coming out."
I have tried to look Zen up and all I can find is shops in ny and Portland permanently closed. Do you have a link to Zen. Thanks

There is a thread on here about the ZEN bikes but I think that unfortunately due to the current situation bike companies are having getting parts that they are not on the market yet.

A great price for a mid-drive Ebike, but remember that this is a Kickstarter campaign. ;)

Portland-based PXCycle’s E-XC series of urban electric mountain bikes was already popular with its rider base. But now the bike shop is launching a new version of the e-bike that takes it another step further. With a new mid-drive motor and the same rugged utility-oriented design, this is an e-bike you’ll definitely want to check out. Like most e-bikes these days, there seems to be a pretty big disparity between the MSRP and the sale price. While the PXCycle has a list price of between $2,995 to $3,395 for various power levels and battery capacities, you’ll find the e-bike on sale when it hits Kickstarter for 50% off of those prices. That. Is. Huge. We’re talking $1,695 for a 600W mid-drive e-bike with over 500Wh of battery and plenty of respectable components that are built to last. There’s also going to be a 36V version of the bike with a still-respectable 400W of power with a sale price of just $1,495.

PXCycle E-XC+ tech specs
There are multiple models of the PXCycle E-XC+. Below are the specs for the version I tested.

• Motor: 600 W mid-drive
  • Top speed: 20 mph (32 km/h) on throttle, 28 mph (45 km/h) on pedal assist
  • Range: 20-60 miles (32-96 km)
  • Battery: 48V 11Ah (528Wh) semi-integrated, removable
  • Frame: 6061 Aluminum
  • Suspension: Suntour spring suspension fork
  • Brakes: Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
  • Extras: LCD display with speedometer, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, odometer, 5-speed settings, thumb throttle, built-in rear rack, and bolt-on front rack, included front and rear fenders

I’m on there site and I’m looking at the E-XR which is a step through. However I’m not fing the spec for this bike. I really need the weight as I have to lift this into the truck. Also what motor and battery does it have. Portland is a 6 to 7 hour drive but welling to drive if it’s with it

Great review of an amazing sturdy ebike. Love that @Bosch is starting to get the middle 🖕. Controller @22amps, this would have about 1kw peak. It's 20amps only. Bosch is the brand that started this class 1/2/3 nonsense legislation push in Eu and in Us .

Back to this ebike: that rear rack welded to the frame🥇👌, i know only of Evelo and R&M that have similar ones.

This one looks a lot better then Juiced and a few others. Can buy 4 of this ebikes for the price of 1 specialized frameset.

Only read the title, but got a good laugh! Urban E-mtb? How many technical single trails do you find in a city?

Back