Review of my slightly custom City Commuter with 4100 miles on it.

Florida Al

I'm 53 moved to Florida & in a little over a year I've put 4100 miles on my City Commuter.
Heres the changes I made, I had Pedego send me a " Standard Stem " a Promax was sent out & love it, looks better & I though the adjustable handlebars were " gimmicky " & a weak point but they seem to be holding up fine for people but i'm glad mine is gone. My gear shifter broke like most & I've been riding it as a single speed, I like it this way, bike pulls so well I keep it on the smallest cog & bike is more enjoyable, no thinking about shifting gears, this bike has so much torque sometines I thiink I could chirp the tires, LOL.
Added an Air Zound air horn, Basil Panniers for wide bikes, they are excellent as I fish the Gulf & load them with gear water & sometimes fish.
What I did is after the first set of Fat Franks wore out a couple thousand miles ago I installed Big Apples, bigger, fatter, taller, now she's a true 29er { I needed to remove the fenders to run these big tires } but the ride is softer, nicer, they wear so slow & drumroll, no flats yeat on this bike, either set @ 4100 miles, thats amazing this is my 4th e-bike & flats were common, also easy on brake pads, still original. Oh also no more the Slime tubes I use Schwalbe tubes. & I'm into KHS bikes & have a FS KHS MTB & others I added OEM KHS decals as a tribute & a sexier look then PEDEGO lol..
It's a good bike, not perfect but good, oh & I have the 15AH 36 volt battery & I weigh 160 & I'm just under 5'9" & have the traditional boys bike style not the stepthrough but the original Pedego saddle killed my crotch, very happy with cheap roadbike saddle & a couple cheap gel covers zip ited on, good comfort now.
DSCI4508.jpg

I had Pedego send me a " Standard Stem " a Promax was sent out & love it ...

1. My early 2015 Interceptor III has a standard stem and it is almost impossible to tighten it enough to prevent the bars from moving down.
2. Do you mean Promax handlebars? If yes, which model? The handlebars on the Interceptor are too wide, otherwise they are OK..
3. I immediately took off my fat stock saddle for a well-oiled Brooks B29 and never looked back.

Hi Bob, The stem I requested & they sent me is a regular, normal non adjustable one because I anticipated a lot of miles being put on the bike { 4200 just over 1 yr. so far | & I wasnt comfortable with the " adjustable stem " used for the adjustable handlebar feature, I thought it added a weak point in the bike & was more of a gimmick then anything else & I still do. On 99.99% of the bicycles there is no " adjustable handlebars " the stem's height is adjusted then the handlebars then the seat is adjusted to move closer or futher away, walla your done.
Yes the Pedego saddle is big & for my body it hurt me, I have a nice setup now using cheap road bike saddle with gel cover & I wear bike shorts, they really help on hot rides in Florida .
The fact they sent me out an upgraded battery { mine is a 36 v 15 ah as well } for free on the recall & other pretty decent customer service & the fact I'm on my second set of tires & havent had a flat tire & the fact it's a good looking fast bike that doesnt look like an ebike @ all with the panniers has me sold on the bike, gets me out on a sunny day to fish, picnic exercise & get stung by bees which happened the other day but that is life, LOL..good bike though enjoying it.

Did you get Promax handlebars? If yes, which number or model? The handlebars on the Interceptor are too wide. Thanks!

I fished the Middle Keys for many years. Last boat was a Grady White, great for the Gulf Stream. In 1999 I moved to Gatorville (Gainesville) then 2 1/2 years ago moved to Steep Santa Fe NM, which is why at age 86 I got the Interceptor.

After fishing age 6 to age 76 I just upped and quit fishin'. I do miss the FRESH fish I uster bring home.

Did you get Promax handlebars? If yes, which number or model? The handlebars on the Interceptor are too wide. Thanks!

I fished the Middle Keys for many years. Last boat was a Grady White, great for the Gulf Stream. In 1999 I moved to Gatorville (Gainesville) then 2 1/2 years ago moved to Steep Santa Fe NM, which is why at age 86 I got the Interceptor.

After fishing age 6 to age 76 I just upped and quit fishin'. I do miss the FRESH fish I uster bring home.
Hi Bob, I'm using the stock commuter style handlebars, I would ask Pedego if the HB's are interchangable between the 2 models I bet they are & put the commuter style on, the reach may be an issue move the seat forward. Thats why I bought the city commuter is the pull back bars arent really user friendly to rack up miles with too wide.
Hey man I caught a snook yesterday morning in my back yard low 30 lb.'s, redfish last week, get out & get fishing, good for you.
take care , Al

I caught a snook yesterday morning in my back yard low 30 lb.'s

I think Snook is maybe the BEST eating fish, bar none. I'm finally done with fishing at age 86 after a lifetime starting age 5 or 6 fishing creeks, streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, surf, ocean bays, Keys bridges, the Gulf Stream. But you keep on enjoying fishing and eating those unimaginably great FRESH fish.

Many thanks for the handlebar info. I will talk to Pedego.

god bless 86 wow, my dad is 91 lives across the street still going strong.
Yes snook taste mighty fine, strict rules on keeping 1 fish slot size only off season now all returned to fight again.

Re: your Dad. After serious running, biking and swimming for 40 years, at age 70 I got a trainer to show me the right way to do weight machines. I've been doing 15 machines 3 times a week ever since. Keeps me limber, balanced on my feet and reasonably strong.
FWIW, I followed all the strict snook rules ... but them line siders are dee-lish!

Weights are key a lot of people dont realize how important it is to lift the heart & to build testosterone, enjoy the bike !
Alan

Last edited:
Back