Review of 2018 Raleigh Retroglide

Thanks, I saw that previously. That guy is a salesman at a shop that sells the Retroglide, I’d like to see Court’s review. But it’s a decent video look at the bike. Not a big deal, just interested in the Retroglide in case I get a second bike to go with my Interceptor. Love the looks and changes in the 2018 model.

Last edited:
i just got a 2018 Raleigh Retroglide and I love it. I am a bicycle and e-bike no-nothing and it was suggested as a good fit for me. It totally is and I am riding more than I have in 40 years. I am looking for panniers that will be good for getting groceries that will fit on the thick tubing of the welded on rear rack. I tried some Linus roll up ones but the snaps aren't long enough to go around the tubing. I would like ones I can keep on but are also easily removable. I liked that the Linus came with a padlock! I would appreciate any ideas to explore. Thanks

i just got a 2018 Raleigh Retroglide and I love it. I am a bicycle and e-bike no-nothing and it was suggested as a good fit for me. It totally is and I am riding more than I have in 40 years. I am looking for panniers that will be good for getting groceries that will fit on the thick tubing of the welded on rear rack. I tried some Linus roll up ones but the snaps aren't long enough to go around the tubing. I would like ones I can keep on but are also easily removable. I liked that the Linus came with a padlock! I would appreciate any ideas to explore. Thanks

JC Lind bikes in Chicago sell heavy duty colorful double panniers with removable shopping bag insert by a Dutch company Clarijs that have a reinforced ring hole in the back you can thread a cable lock through. They sling over just about any rack that is six inches wide. Or from the same company you can get single panniers that clip on the rack and have either a handle or shoulder strap.

Last edited:
Those JC Lind bikes are really cool!

Sure are, I came close to buying a Workcycles GR8 earlier this year with the intention of swapping over my BBS01 motor, but decided to upgrade my existing bike with an IGH instead.

I was just thinking how cool these bikes would be with a Bafang mid-drive, but on these bikes I'd want a rack mount battery like Pedego so I could conceal it with some stylish panniers. I'd hate to ruin the look of these bikes with a battery blimp on the downtube.

on these bikes I'd want a rack mount battery like Pedego so I could conceal it with some stylish panniers. I'd hate to ruin the look of these bikes with a battery blimp on the downtube.

I hear you, E-BikeKit sell a generic 2-tier battery rack, and RackTime make versions for Shimano Steps and Bosch systems, perfect for Dutch style step through frames. However I was considering putting a seat on the rack of the GR8 and wouldn't have wanted to raise the height further with a battery rack, but while the big brother FR8 frame has space for a battery behind the seatpost there isn't this space on the smaller GR8 so in the event of purchase I was considering adding the sturdy frame mounted front cargo rack and carrying the battery in a basket, with a passenger on the back it would have distributed the weight.

I picked up my Retroglide a few days ago from the local bike shop. I ordered the grey one but it looks more white than grey. I'm a little disappointed on the color. I only have 30 miles on the bike so far but I'm very happy with the bike. It's very solid feeling. The fenders don't rattle over bumps and the bike has a very comfortable upright feel to it. I added a throttle but don't seem to use it much as the pedal assist is great. I'm going to add a rear basket for grocery runs and probably not much else. All in all I am happy with my purchase.

Mark

E-bike.jpg

I showed this very bike to my wife as she wants a step through with battery on the frame downtube.. I think it's a great looking bike but she wants more of a trail/mtn. bike. I don't think anyone makes what she wants.

Sorry it took so long to go live! Here's my review of the Retroglide with video embedded below. I was a little put off with the price considering there were no motor inhibitors on the brake levers and the 160mm disc brakes were hydraulic. TranzX makes decent motors, but it just uses a cadence sensor vs. torque or multi-sensor. Wins include the larger 11-32 tooth cassette, great aesthetics, multiple colors, and dealer support. https://electricbikereview.com/raleigh/retroglide-ie/

I know you said it list for $2230, but Raleigh has it listed for $1899. and some shops are selling for $1499. I think it's not bad for the price.

Back