Repurpose IZIP E3 Dash Battery/Charger

topaz024

Hi All,

So my lovely IZIP E3 Dash just got stolen :(

I was thinking of getting the REI Novara Gotham because of the Gates Carbon Belt Drive + Nuvinci N360 CV transmission, and eventually converting it one day (when I have a house and a garage to protect the bike!)

My question is, I still have the IZIP Battery + Charger--would these be compatible with a Bafang BBS02 or BBSHD conversion kit?

Thanks for reading :)

Sure, the motor will work with most any 48V battery. You will need to find a battery cradle.

The battery of my 2015 IZIP Dash has four terminals with the following voltage. The control panel has 4 assist levels. Can any body figure out what terminals are used on different assist levels?
batt 1.jpg

Possible scenarios are the following:
level 1 = terminal A, 14 volts
level 2 = terminal C, 24 volts
level 3 = A+B, 34 volts
level 4 = B+C, 44 volts
I assume on throttle mode, all terminals are open and then amp is controlled by degree of twist on the throttle.
batt 2.jpg

Another scenarios would be;
level 1 = terminal C, 24v
level 2 = A+B, 34v
level 3 = A+C, 38v
level 4 = B+C, 44v
And ;
level 1 = terminal B, 20v
level 2 = A+B, 34v
level 3 = A+C, 38v
level 4 = B+C, 44v

And lastly;
level 1 = C, 24v
level 2 = A+B, 34v
level 3 = B+C, 44v
level 4 = A+B+C, =/> 48v (whatever max output the battery can provide)

This will give me a good idea on what assist levels to alternate so all the cells will be equally used (for balanced consumption). Or I could use the throttle every now and then to balance the battery.

I know there is a built in BMS that also balances the battery but I don't think it can balance that quick when you are actively using only some group of cells in the battery.

Last edited:
I wonder why the three extra voltages appear, but I do doubt that the EZIP uses specific cell groups at different voltage levels to run its four PAS levels. Bike controllers use frequency not voltage to control motor speed.

Taking a different higher level view, running one PAS level on only selected cell group(s) wouldn't use all the battery watt-hours available for use. You would get less range riding slow on PAS 1 for example, and wear out the battery sooner.

Are there perhaps a set of accessory lights on the bike that run at 14 volts?

I wonder why the three extra voltages appear, but I do doubt that the EZIP uses specific cell groups at different voltage levels to run its four PAS levels. Bike controllers use frequency not voltage to control motor speed.

Taking a different higher level view, running one PAS level on only selected cell group(s), wouldn't use all the battery watt-hours available for use, and would impair range.

Are there perhaps a set of accessory lights on the bike that run at 14 volts?
I would guess that this is obsolete method of power modulation. It looks like it uses a switching mechanism to choose among the terminals. Not as sophisticated and efficient as the current PWM/MOSFET systems.

I don't get a huge difference in range. PAS 1 = 20 miles, PAS 3-4 = 14 miles.

Last edited:
I hope I am wrong with my assumption. I hope all battery cells are used on all three terminals through voltage step down. I wonder what method, simple resistor or mosfets.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the theft. I actually have several parts from a iZip Dash that got damaged in shipping. I believe I have the motor, battery dock, bottom bracket and some other parts. I sold the battery already and the display was broken. Let me know if you might be interested. I could let it go pretty cheap. Or if you want I could just sell you the battery dock and you can use it with a Bafang motor.

Back