Replacement Wheels for 2019 Domane+

jpa2825

Got into a fight with a pothole on my 2019 Domane+ last week. Good news, I stayed upright. Bad news, LBS says I "smoked" both wheels. Bent (not broken) spoke and bulges on the rim at each impact point. LBS is recommending Velocity for $500-$600 installed.

Bike is heavy (~48 lbs) and I am about 220 lbs so durability is more important than weight or aero.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I don't have much experience shopping for or replacing wheelsets (thankfully).

Got into a fight with a pothole on my 2019 Domane+ last week. Good news, I stayed upright. Bad news, LBS says I "smoked" both wheels. Bent (not broken) spoke and bulges on the rim at each impact point. LBS is recommending Velocity for $500-$600 installed.

Bike is heavy (~48 lbs) and I am about 220 lbs so durability is more important than weight or aero.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I don't have much experience shopping for or replacing wheelsets (thankfully).
WTB makes a ebike spec wheel called ATZ

jpa2825 - could you mention what is your current wheelset that was destroyed? I don't see the specs anymore on the Trek site. What is the rim width? What is the front and rear axle standard? From the pictures it appears to be a centerlock brake rotor mount. You could rebuild your wheel with new spokes and rims if that option was overlooked.

I bought a second set of wheels for my 2021 Domane+ HP for gravel use, so I did a lot of research. I ended up with a custom built set of relatively high end components that was about $1,100 for the set. Certainly there are options for custom built, but expect a 4-6 week delivery time assuming the pieces are available. As I wanted a stronger wheel but not overkill I used a 28 spoke build with a 3 cross lace pattern.

I think the 2019 had the same clearance for wider tires as the 2020/2021, which means you can use 24 or 25mm internal width rims.

For more strength look for more spokes (I expect your destroyed setup was 24 spoke), a 3 cross lace pattern for more strength over a 2 cross, and definitely not a radial spoke pattern for the front wheel for this bike. Certain rim make/model are stronger than others, you can do your research, but look for something targeting "gravel" usage and it should be making the tradeoff for strength vs weight. Make sure the hubs are centerlock rotor mount if that is what your current setup has. Because there is hub design and manufacturing tolerance greater than your disc brake tuning and shifting tolerances, your bike will need a tune up with the new wheels. The brake calipers will need to be centered, and the rear derailleur H/L will need to be centered. Your disc brake rotors and rear gear cluster will of course need to be moved to the new wheelset.

I think these are interesting to compare. They don't mention spoke count, which is odd, but you can count them in the picture. You will see the the "g" or "gravel" is 24 spoke and 2 cross, and the "hg" or "hybrid-gravel" (which they mention as ebike specific) are 28 spoke and 3 cross.

These dt-swiss hybrid-gravel wheels look to me as a good example of a stronger wheel.

People talk about Hunt wheels. Their suitable offering is a 28 spoke 2 cross pattern. They talk about max weight on their spec page, so it is a good reference. Their delivery is a bit far in the future though.

Please consider my links here as a reference to learn more about what would be suitable for you, rather than a specific product recommendation as I don't have any experience with these specific products.

jpa2825 - could you mention what is your current wheelset that was destroyed? I don't see the specs anymore on the Trek site. What is the rim width? What is the front and rear axle standard? From the pictures it appears to be a centerlock brake rotor mount. You could rebuild your wheel with new spokes and rims if that option was overlooked.

I bought a second set of wheels for my 2021 Domane+ HP for gravel use, so I did a lot of research. I ended up with a custom built set of relatively high end components that was about $1,100 for the set. Certainly there are options for custom built, but expect a 4-6 week delivery time assuming the pieces are available. As I wanted a stronger wheel but not overkill I used a 28 spoke build with a 3 cross lace pattern.

I think the 2019 had the same clearance for wider tires as the 2020/2021, which means you can use 24 or 25mm internal width rims.

For more strength look for more spokes (I expect your destroyed setup was 24 spoke), a 3 cross lace pattern for more strength over a 2 cross, and definitely not a radial spoke pattern for the front wheel for this bike. Certain rim make/model are stronger than others, you can do your research, but look for something targeting "gravel" usage and it should be making the tradeoff for strength vs weight. Make sure the hubs are centerlock rotor mount if that is what your current setup has. Because there is hub design and manufacturing tolerance greater than your disc brake tuning and shifting tolerances, your bike will need a tune up with the new wheels. The brake calipers will need to be centered, and the rear derailleur H/L will need to be centered. Your disc brake rotors and rear gear cluster will of course need to be moved to the new wheelset.

I think these are interesting to compare. They don't mention spoke count, which is odd, but you can count them in the picture. You will see the the "g" or "gravel" is 24 spoke and 2 cross, and the "hg" or "hybrid-gravel" (which they mention as ebike specific) are 28 spoke and 3 cross.

These dt-swiss hybrid-gravel wheels look to me as a good example of a stronger wheel.

People talk about Hunt wheels. Their suitable offering is a 28 spoke 2 cross pattern. They talk about max weight on their spec page, so it is a good reference. Their delivery is a bit far in the future though.

Please consider my links here as a reference to learn more about what would be suitable for you, rather than a specific product recommendation as I don't have any experience with these specific products.
Thanks for the wealthy of information. I am obviously going to need to get more knowledgeable about these things. Should be fun and you've given me some great starting materials.

Don't know the answer to the questions but I attach 2 pictures that might provide some assistance. The 1st shows it "was" a Paradigm wheel with Schwalbe G-ONE tire. Google suggests Paradigm is a Bontrager brand which makes sense as it was OEM. By my count, it looks like there are 24 spokes. Just Googled 3-cross, 2-cross and Radial and after reading a quick article I am guessing they are 2-cross but it's hard for me to know and guessing the fact that the picture is of the back wheel makes it harder.

The LBS was talking about 32 or even 36 (I think) spokes in the Velocity they were recommending. I think maybe they were recommending "rebuilding" the wheel with the Velocity wheel.

I hope to get an update tomorrow or FRI and will fill in any blanks they provide. Any additional help would continue to be appreciated as I'm already learning.

Attachments

• Back Wheel Picture.jpg
    Back Wheel Picture.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Domane 5299.JPG
    Domane 5299.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 263
Thanks for the wealthy of information. I am obviously going to need to get more knowledgeable about these things. Should be fun and you've given me some great starting materials.

Don't know the answer to the questions but I attach 2 pictures that might provide some assistance. The 1st shows it "was" a Paradigm wheel with Schwalbe G-ONE tire. Google suggests Paradigm is a Bontrager brand which makes sense as it was OEM. By my count, it looks like there are 24 spokes. Just Googled 3-cross, 2-cross and Radial and after reading a quick article I am guessing they are 2-cross but it's hard for me to know and guessing the fact that the picture is of the back wheel makes it harder.

The LBS was talking about 32 or even 36 (I think) spokes in the Velocity they were recommending. I think maybe they were recommending "rebuilding" the wheel with the Velocity wheel.

I hope to get an update tomorrow or FRI and will fill in any blanks they provide. Any additional help would continue to be appreciated as I'm already learning.
By default it would be 2 cross. For sure they aren't suggesting rebuilding with 32 or 36 on the same hub, as the number of spokes is hub specific. Most hub models come in a selection of several different spoke counts. You could rebuild with 24 spokes, stronger rim, and build as a 3 cross, but 3 cross vs 2 cross wouldn't have made any difference with your bent rim from impact ... maybe no rim would have been spared. A rebuild might not be the most cost effective anyway, especially if the hub isn't anything special. I would think 36 spoke count is overkill. I was going to build my 2nd set with 32 count, but 28 was what was available for either the rim or hub, and I am in a way glad as I think 28 is enough for my purpose (It is a road bike after all), and more spokes start to look busy aesthetically for a road bike if you care about such things.

By default it would be 2 cross. For sure they aren't suggesting rebuilding with 32 or 36 on the same hub, as the number of spokes is hub specific. Most hub models come in a selection of several different spoke counts. You could rebuild with 24 spokes, stronger rim, and build as a 3 cross, but 3 cross vs 2 cross wouldn't have made any difference with your bent rim from impact ... maybe no rim would have been spared. A rebuild might not be the most cost effective anyway, especially if the hub isn't anything special. I would think 36 spoke count is overkill. I was going to build my 2nd set with 32 count, but 28 was what was available for either the rim or hub, and I am in a way glad as I think 28 is enough for my purpose (It is a road bike after all), and more spokes start to look busy aesthetically for a road bike if you care about such things.
Thanks for the additional feedback. Haven't heard back from LBS yet.

Is your comment about rebuild maybe not being cost effective a suggestion that just buying new wheel + hub would be cheaper / better? If so, what are the key questions to ask?

Assuming you want to ride in the near future, availability will be a major issue. The simple option is to get DT Swiss or Mavic wheels that fit, either would be hard to beat

Assuming you want to ride in the near future, availability will be a major issue. The simple option is to get DT Swiss or Mavic wheels that fit, either would be hard to beat
Stopped by the LBS this weekend when I was out riding (on the old Conduit+) and my guy said the wheel builder was leaning this way as well. He is supposed to call me this week about DT Swiss e-bike wheels which would end up costing about the same as a rebuilt (~$500). I'm hoping availability is better as I have a ride on the 17th I am hoping to have the Domane+ back for. (May be wishful thinking.)

Talk to them about 650b vs 700. Many people like the larger tires that can be used on the 650b rim.

Talk to them about 650b vs 700. Many people like the larger tires that can be used on the 650b rim.
For the 2020/21 Domane+ the rear frame geometry is such that a reduced diameter wheel (650b) doesn't give any more tire clearance.

Back