Replacement front wheel for Haibike

reinhardtius

Hi Everyone,

I have a Haibike XDURO Trekking S RX (2017). The front wheel sits in the front fork over to the left side, as opposed to sitting right in the middle of the fender (yes, the fender is aligned). When I brake using the front disc brake, the wheel shifts toward the left side, and as a result, it rubs on the fender, and the whole front end shakes. Today, I tightened the axle carefully, and it now sits more in the center of the front fork, but it is still not centered, and when braking, it shifts toward the left.

The hub is an XLC EVO, which some on this forum have said is junk. The wheel is a Ryde Trekking Taurus 622x21c (according to the writing on the rim). I think it is a 28x2. I can't find replacement wheels, races, bearings, or axles, so I welcome your suggestions for a replacement front wheel. If you know where I can find a replacement hub and axle, I would consider that, too, especially because the rim and spokes appear fine, and I also don't want to buy a new tire and tube if I can help it.

Thank you for your suggestions. URLs to vendors/product pages are especially helpful.

Reinhardtius

When I brake using the front disc brake, the wheel shifts toward the left side, and as a result, it rubs on the fender, and the whole front end shakes. Today, I tightened the axle carefully, and it now sits more in the center of the front fork, but it is still not centered, and when braking, it shifts toward the left.

The rims are very good and they are tubeless ready. I think I shipped you an extra tire as well and they have a lot of life left.
From my memory, SKS Fender struts can move a bit and give an impression that it is not perfect. So, it could be a simple adjustment of the fender struts.

A tune-up every 4-6 months will minimize any unwarranted repairs and you will extract max life out of components. I kept very consistent tune-up every 4 months and the bike served me exceptionally well.
The front hub is mid-tier not junk. I would check with a local mechanic and see if the QR skewer has gone bad or something of that nature.

If the hub needs service, they can just replace the hub with an XT or Deore (costs anywhere from $18 to $30, see links/post below).

XT: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deorext-m8000/HB-M8000.html

Deore: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m6000/HB-M6000.html

If you really want to replace the wheel, you can look at something like this depending on your budget:

low budget: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alexrims-D...ike-Wheel-36-Spoke-9X100-622X18/173970963468?

$100+ budget: https://www.ebay.com/c/2254369835?iid=274062127364

Make sure to check the centerlock and disc rotor compatibility. A good mechanic will be able to tell you within a minute just by looking at it.

DT Swiss, Alex rims, Velocity, RYDE are all very good brands for wheels.

I would start by taking it to a good mechanic and have them see whats wrong. If it is just the hubs, that is a simple replacement.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a faulty wheel bearing. Do the spokes ring tight (tap on them and listen to them and they should have a slightly "ping")? Maybe the wheel needs to be examined.

I can't find replacement wheels, races, bearings, or axles,

Here you go:

The wheel needs to be laced to this hub and can be done any decent mechanic.

1571887357790.png

Folks, you are all very kind and helpful. Thank you.

My local bike shop Omer and Bobs took a look at the bearings look fine as did the races. They repacked them with grease and tightened everything, and things are better. But, the wheel still flexes to the left (the rotor side) when you brake hard. And, when it shifts to the left, the tire hits the front fender, and the whole thing shakes. The fenders are too small for this amount of flexing.

I think a front wheel replacement makes sense down the line. I like the idea of a replacement wheel like the DT Swiss R24 Spline Disc Front Wheel wheel @Ravi Kempaiah mentions, but I cannot see if that wheel is built for heavy duty e-bikes. I assume a 700C roadbike wheel is not appropriate. Anyone else have recommendations for a good front wheel replacement (700C) for me? Open to suggestions.

when it shifts to the left, the tire hits the front fender,

There is a simple way to move the fenders up, so it doesn't come in contact with the tires.
A small metal piece is connected to the fork bridge arc and if you place it correctly, it might help.

I'll try to adjust it again tonight :)

Thinking of which.. I realize the front tire is larger compared to the rear. It is the Schwalbe Big Ben.. if you switch them out to the Energizer I sent you (identical to the rear), that should help too.

Back