Replacement controller options?

I've had this controller setup for a few months now and we've been using it sporadically. It's been decent, although we've had the controller shut down a few times when using the higher assist levels, maybe because the battery voltage got too low on an older battery. The battery was fully charged, but putting it on P3 to P5 and going to full throttle will usually only last a minute or so before it shuts down. It will usually reset without a problem and work again. We did need to turn the key off once which cuts power to the controller, and then turn it back on to sort of reboot it. I guess keep in mind that the stock Lectric XP controller was designed specifically for this motor and battery combination where this KT controller is sort of a universal one. It's got a higher output so it puts more of a demand on the battery.
Now, however, the controller won't work at all because rains managed to fill the display with water. The screen cover actually curled up on the edges and let water in, which is weird, I don't know why that would happen. There wasn't even a battery IN the bike, so no power to anything. Usually these bikes are stored outside under a waterproof cover, but a bad storm blew the cover off while we were out of town and when we got back, the display was full of water and wouldn't turn on. Also, my bike that still has the OEM display (OEM known to not be waterproof), that was also full of water and wouldn't turn on. So both bikes are broken for now.
We're waiting to see if KT customer service will help us with it since the KT display is supposed to be waterproof.

Attachments

• 20220823_211221.jpg
    20220823_211221.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 174
...., although we've had the controller shut down a few times when using the higher assist levels, maybe because the battery voltage got too low on an older battery.
That's interesting. I've had the controller cut the power to the motor when my battery was really low but I've never had it totally shut down. My battery at the time was really low and only occurred with extended throttle use. I haven't done it yet, but I'm considering modifying C4 from 4 (default 40 volts) to 0 (default -2 volts, or 38 volts). This way the battery voltage would have to drop to 38 volts before the controller cuts out.

I've left my bike out in moderate rain a few times with no effect to the controller or display. That must have been some storm. Was BOTH the controller and the display damaged by the storm? Let us know what the folks at KT Ebike say.

w3curtis, thanks for the information on the C4 setting. I was going to ask KT if it were possible to lower the cutoff voltage, and it sounds like it is. I'll have to observe for a while what the voltage is on my OEM Lectric 1.0 bike when I'm low on battery and using the throttle to see if it's a good idea or not to do that on my wife's bike with this KT setup.
And yes, the storms have been bad. It's 'monsoon season' in northern AZ, so sudden high winds and lots of rain on the open plains we're currently on. I can't be sure if the controller is affected or not since the display is dead. My thought is that the controller is probably fine, there hasn't been a battery in the bike since this happened.
And thankfully KT customer support agreed to send us a replacement display, I just have to pay the $10 for shipping. That was nice of them, since I think AliExpress only covers 75 days and it's been a little over 90 days now.

Just as a follow-up, after chatting with KT on I think Facebook, or could have been WhatsApp, they sent me a new KT-LCD8S WP USB display. I had to reprogram the controller, so maybe the settings are stored in the display? But after that it's working great. They stood behind their product so I'm happy.
Also, I rode the bike using throttle only with a fresh charged battery and the controller hasn't shut down so far, so it looks like changing the C4 setting helped with that. I think it was because we were using one of the original aging batteries and the voltage was dropping below 40V.

Been around 8k of throttle only use on my XP 1.0 the controller gave out and started giving me a code Error 09. Ordered a new controller from Lectric for the 70 bucks; hopefully this solves my issue.

You are WRONG. None of lectric controllers have waterproof connectors. Only their LCDs , they claim are waterproof which they arent really. Thats why you see a lot of people put ziplock bags on them lol.
The screen isnt the controller. I have ridden in rain a few times with zero issues and wash my bike with a hose I am not saying put in the swimming pool but they are pretty good with the weather proofing.

Back