repainting of the e-bike

crawford1982

He guys, How do you think is there sense to repaint the e-bike. I mean to restore it somehow.

On my bike I have a lot of scratches. ..

Maybe it is a crazy idea, but maybe someone had similar experience.

Could be either! It all depends ;) What bike do you have and what sort of paint is on there? Are you trying to do touch-ups or a complete whole frame job? If its the latter, that involves pulling all of the electronic components and pretty much any bike component depending upon the type of finish. Maybe a couple of pics would help us sort this out.

I've been toying with the idea myself, but my bike is very much a tool for job and the patina of scratches are just part of it. There is one scratch that bugs me though, as it was due to my laziness in strapping a ladder inside the back of my van properly, and it fell and hit the bike. I wasn't happy with my self.

I have a hankering to nut and bolt the whole bike, and to spray it all orange. The downside of doing so, is that it'll soon get scratched again, so isn't really worth the effort and expense.

Putting wear and tear and scratches into some form of context. This is my rear chain and seat stays after one year of use.

wear and tear..jpg

If the bike is sentimental to you, and you value it's appearance, then it could be worth it. Minor scratches could also be worth re touching, but a full nut and bolt rebuild with respray, is never going to be financially viable.

I used to complete very high end restorations of classic GP racing motorcyle's, and I always felt that the best part of the bike, was also the part that was never restored (if that makes sense) Loosing the original patina, takes away too much authenticity.

Last edited:
I tore down my old French racer, and had it powder coated.. Bought some decals from England and it looks fantastic.. better than new.

It is not financially smart to do a repaint, unless it's something you plan on keeping for a long time. I can't think of any electric bike I'd want to keep a long time.

I'd buy a bottle of Noxon polish, clean and partially strip the bike and give it around 4 coats of polish. You'd be surprised how much it comes back. Use touch up paint for deep scratches.

I have a hankering to nut and bolt the whole bike, and to spray it all orange. The downside of doing so, is that it'll soon get scratched again, so isn't really worth the effort and expense.

Hmm, thanks for sharing your experinec. I will probbly postpone it till summer. My bike looks scratched. And I do not like its current black color. I want to paint it in green. What paint did you use?

I just picked up a used stealth bomber in black. It's got some scratches and I am contemplating complete tear down and custom metallic blue paint job. This will give me a chance to service some things and be sure all nuts tightened to spec.

I've rebuilt jetskiies and cars. It's a good way to get to know your ride.

I just picked up a used stealth bomber in black. It's got some scratches and I am contemplating complete tear down and custom metallic blue paint job. This will give me a chance to service some things and be sure all nuts tightened to spec.

I've rebuilt jetskiies and cars. It's a good way to get to know your ride.

+1 - if you're relatively handy and have a bit of time you CAN do a first rate job if you remove everything and sand and do it all 'right'. Even rattle can with polishing and clear coat. It's a pretty darn small area to repaint. And you learn how the bike goes together. Multiple coats of clear over the color gives a lot of protection and covers minor blems.

If you aren't capable of stripping the bike of all hardware and putting it back together (youtube, you can), don't try to paint it.

Thx MLB..... I'm just working the bugs out of the bike since I bought it used. Once I get the mechanicals sorted, and after I get my NEW stealth... I'll take this one down for custom paint for my wife. She like Deep dark metal flake blue...... so it will be so.

Back