Registering Bike

dm nelson

Last year I had a couple of nice bikes stolen from my house. They were locked in the garage and taken while I was away on holiday. Found out the hard way the importance of registering bikes. The police & others request details to help recover bikes. As there is no program to register bikes here in my small town, I've been using the Project 529 on-line service. A useful site to compile the info you will need to share with law enforcement, neighbors, insurance company... I've got pictures of the bike, registration number and reciept all in one place. I also like their decal that shows the bikes are registered. If there is no city or local option for registering your nice bike, this is a great option, imho.

https://project529.com/garage

Attachments

• flwrs-1-2.JPG
    flwrs-1-2.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
Some of us may have local city, college or police bike registration opportunities. Are others registering e-bikes, if so, where?

I did three bike registries for my two RadRovers and two GT Transeo 3.0:

Pay Site - National Bike Registry: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
1 bike for $10 for 10 yrs, 5 family bikes for $25 for 10 yrs, etc... They send you a certificate you can keep at home and/or car, plus a sticker to place on your bike. I did the 5 bikes for $25 for 10 yrs. Option to register your bike as stolen or search to see if a used bike is stolen.

Free site - BikeRegistry.com: http://bikeregistry.com/reg_login.php
Create an account to enter your bike info like picture, make, model, year, type, color, size, and Serial number. Option to register your bike as stolen or search to see if a used bike is stolen.

Free site - Bike Index.org: https://bikeindex.org/
Pretty much the same as BikeRegisty.com. Create an account to enter your bike info like picture, make, model, year, type, color, size, and Serial number. Option to register your bike as stolen or search to see if a used bike is stolen.

I'm planning to take my e-bikes on several trips in the southwest. I had a very hard time trying to figure out which bike registry website is used the most by law enforcement when I travel and/or in my local area (ABQ, NM). The last two were free and I figured it couldn't hurt for a little extra coverage for the 10 minutes it took to enter the data.

I also ordered two Boomerang CycloTrac GPS Bike Security for the e-bikes.
The black unit came in and the white unit is on back order until the end of October: http://boomerangbike.com/how-it-works/

It cost either:
- $200+$5 per month for Verizon coverage
- $250+12 months of Verizon coverage

The self contained USB rechargeable weather resistant cell phone module attaches to your bike at the water bottle studs with security bolts. The security bolts are long enough to still attach your bottle holder on top of the Boomerang. You download the Boomerang CycloTrac app on your smartphone to track your bike in real time or review trip data. There is also a web-base program you can log into to track the location of your bike or review your workout data. You can arm your bike from the phone app only and a 100-110 dB audible alarm will sound if disturbed and you will also get an smartphone notification at the same time.

I sometimes need to stay overnight on the road and have to leave the e-bikes on the hitch rack. Having the Boomerang with alarm+cell notification, 5 foot 14mm Xena chain, and 18mm Xena XUL-210 U-bar with 110 dB alarm will hopefully slow them down enough or make enough noise to discourage them. I also have the Blackvue DR650gw 2-channel front/rear camera on my SUV to record if the worst happens.

I did three bike registries for my two RadRovers and two GT Transeo 3.0:

Glad to know of this alternative site for bike registration that offers a certificate & sticker. Having bike's serial number, receipt and images in one place are useful in the event of bike's disappearance. I'm impressed with the security options shared, also. Someone scheming to take a bike should look for an easier target without those locks, alarms, camera & gps. I'm thinking about attaching a big dog that bites to my bike.

Back