Rear Shock Replacement

Bruce L

Thinking about replacing the rear shock on an Evelo Aries. What is on the bike now is an HLT-620. I can't find out anything about it. But I suspect it is basically just a metal spring in a can with some kind of dampening. I'm wondering if an air shock would work better for a smoother ride, and then which one to get?

Thinking about replacing the rear shock on an Evelo Aries. What is on the bike now is an HLT-620. I can't find out anything about it. But I suspect it is basically just a metal spring in a can with some kind of dampening. I'm wondering if an air shock would work better for a smoother ride, and then which one to get?

It is just a spring in a can for the most part. I doubt it has much actual dampening. Does the shock have a spring rate on it? My guess is its about 500-1000. What is the eye to eye measurement? Measure bolt to bolt with no weight on the bike, by lifting the rear if the bike by the seat post.

Depending on the spring weight and measurement will determine if you can use an air sock or not. If its a high spring weight over 800lbs+, you will have a hard time finding an air shock that could hold that kind of pressure (at least not an afordable one :) ). The good news is you can get a proper spring shock with adjustable dampening for rather cheap that will work wonders compared to the stock pogo stick shock.

Most people say coil shocks are more plush, but air shocks are lighter. Not sure a pound here are there will make much difference on an already heavy e-bike. I would find a compatible proper coil shock, and save the money for other things. Now if your had a Haibike and planned to do some serious XC, then my answer would be different. You should see a huge difference IMO if you replace that pogo stick with a proper coil shock.

Lee

Thanks much for your thoughtful reply to my question. I saw where someone else has done a rear shock upgrade on an older version of a bike like mine. He used one of the Rockshox Monarch products. I saw it in a YouTube video where he was being interviewed about modifications to his bike. Link to the video below. I tried to track him down, but was not able to. He was supposed to be an ambassador for Evelo in San Diego, but currently not listed on the Evelo web site.

The HLT-620 can be adjusted by turning the body which just shortens or lengthens it, thereby changing the pre-load on the spring. It also changes the height of the bike in the rear. Lengthened all the way out the center to center distance is about 6 and 5/16 inches or about 161 mm. There is some leeway on length for other shocks to be put in there. There is about a 3 to 1 mechanical leverage with the geometry of the swing arm/shock mount design.

Not planning to do any serious XC. But I do plan to keep considering this and would still appreciate any further input.

BL

A better shock can be a wonderful improvement.
IF the coil spring is the right size for your weight that is still as good as it gets. Air works great on single hits, but multiple quick back to back bumps can't be responded to very well.
Air gives you the ability to make 1 shock work for my 235lbs and my gf's 120lbs. Easy adjustability is great, but it won't be as "good" for either of us, as a coil spring shock (with real dampening) with the right coil for ME and a different one for HER. Same with forks.
Make sense?
If you are the only rider, and want ultimate? Coil springs and dampening that fit you.

Last edited:
I replaced my ebike shock with a coil. I went with the same spring rate, but the new shock has actual adjustable dampening. The original just seemed like a spring with no dampening at all. The new shock rides much more plush. The adjustable damping can be adjusted (slow to fast) for the terrain.

Not to mention air shocks are EXPENSIVE LOL

Back