Rear brake up grade

kmccune

My "Maxfoot" 26" FTB has mechanical front and rear 180 mm brakes, generally works good except when I was riding some very rough mtn roads( steep) the back brake has a tendency to get extremely hot,I am satisfied with the front brake.My question is can I put a 203mm rotor and cable pull hydraulic on the rear?
The biggest shortcoming of this bike is its 82# weight fine on the asphalt and grades less then 10% After riding this bike on the poorly maintained and very rough roads am thinking of upgrading to gravel or EMTB.

I would upgrade to an EMTB. I have a Specialized Turbo Levo and live in an area that is uphill or downhill with the only level riding being in town. My brakes are very good and always stop evenly. I do go through brake pads every 500 miles. Being 70 years old, keep my speeds under 22 mph on downhills so I probably use my brakes more than others.

My "Maxfoot" 26" FTB has mechanical front and rear 180 mm brakes, generally works good except when I was riding some very rough mtn roads( steep) the back brake has a tendency to get extremely hot,I am satisfied with the front brake.My question is can I put a 203mm rotor and cable pull hydraulic on the rear?
The biggest shortcoming of this bike is its 82# weight fine on the asphalt and grades less then 10% After riding this bike on the poorly maintained and very rough roads am thinking of upgrading to gravel or EMTB.
it all depends on the bike and if there is room for the larger rotor and the brake caliper you can get adapters that let you use a larger rotor but it depends on your bike. I would not go for one of those cheap Chinese calipers they don't look like they are very good quality.

it all depends on the bike and if there is room for the larger rotor and the brake caliper you can get adapters that let you use a larger rotor but it depends on your bike. I would not go for one of those cheap Chinese calipers they don't look like they are very good quality.
Thanks,I overspent and ended up with a" Lectric XP" despite all the hype not suitable for me," Big Orange" is a cruiser, and its very good at that,I do not know how they configured the motor, believe me that thing punches above its weight, had it over 30 mph on the way home and has a seating stance that works for me ( lower vertebra spondylitis) the trouble is, it climbs rather. well despite this descending is a real hussy .There is plenty of room on the back for a larger rotor, if I can shed a few EBikes, upgrading or moving on to something will probably be my goal.
Thanks, Kevin

I would upgrade to an EMTB. I have a Specialized Turbo Levo and live in an area that is uphill or downhill with the only level riding being in town. My brakes are very good and always stop evenly. I do go through brake pads every 500 miles. Being 70 years old, keep my speeds under 22 mph on downhills so I probably use my brakes more than others.
Very sage advice I believe, if the "great Pumpkin", ( my Daughters term of endearment) doesn't respond well to upgrades,I may very well look into acquiring an EMTB.( so-Levo eh? will have to check them out) and the "GP" does jolt everything in an unfriendly manner on the rough roads{ trying to dodge the "ankle breakers" at 20 mph is not fun}its only threw me a couple of times.
Thanks ,Kevin

Back