Really Confused

LloydK

Okay, I'm torn among three step thru bikes and close in price: RAd City ST, Magnum UI 6 and the Ride 1 UP 700 series. All three have their pros and some cons. What I'm most concerned about is customer support after purchasing the bike. I'm new to e-bikes but have done a lot of trolling through the various forums this past month which has led me to this point. BTW, I'm 70 years old, 5'7",165 lbs. with no major health concerns, at least at this time!
I'm convinced about wanting a step thru configuration. Most of my riding will be on pavement or firm crushed stone pathways in and around the Wash. DC area.

I like the clean look of the Ride 1 Up but am weary about their customer support and the company is only 2 years old. Rad City has a great support network pf previous buyers but I haven't had an opportunity to ride or even see one in the "wild." The Magnum is also a good looking bike but may have more power than I really need, however I haven't rode one.

I would really appreciate some input and experiences from you, good or bad. Thanks for sharing.

I myself ride an ocean current. It is the older model with a lower center bar which I like for emergency off situations. My wife rides a Rad step through which she loves. We would have bought another ocean current with the lower center bar but they stopped making it so she bought the Rad. I do more riding in Michigan since my wife left her electric bike in Florida why we sell our house in Plymouth her. I have a few thousand miles on my juice bike now and have a problem which I am trying to solve about periodic drag which just started after a bad bike accident. The red came with a bent brake disc and they jumped on the situation and got us a brand new one immediately. Juiced bikes has also been pretty decent in info and supply of parts. Sometimes it takes just a little while but they get it to you. I say whatever bike fits the situation you are in best go for it! I am 71 and ridee about 27 miles a day average. Michigan does not have the best road situation lots of potholes and sunken sewer lids. Safe travels! When you say hi to another biker nod your head. But don't take your hands off the handlebars!!! Hud!

I’d go with Rad. They’ve been in business for years now and their customer service appears to be great.

Of those three brands only Magnum has shop dealers in the DC area, there’s one at Bethesda Metro if that’s near where you are

We have a Ride1up 500. Their customer service is responsive. They usually answer e mails same day or next day. Ride1up also has a owners facebook group and the owner is active on there as well. I also have an Espin Sport, similar style to the Ride1up 700, but it is a lower bar but not a step thru. I am a little younger than you and a little taller. Some days I wish I had gotten the step thru model, the Espin Flow, as I think handling would be easier. Our next bike, for my husband, will be a fat tire step thru, Espin Nero. Maybe he will let me borrow it. I am also near DC. We are in MD. near Rock Creek. There are several mobile bike services in our area. We used velofix to check and adjust our bikes and we were very satisfied. It would be nice if you could test some bikes. I know you can now rent some e bikes in our area.

Good luck with your choice Lloyd, but you failed to mention the Aventon Level which is in that category and a very good affortable bike with an excellent company support.

I was interested in the Aventon and spoke with their customer service people but was quite disappointed with their responses to my questions about their bike. It was also noted to me from some former local bike shops who used to rep them that they were not very responsive when it came to supplying parts.

I've inquired of several bike shops that carry Magnum bikes but unfortunately they have nothing on the floor, everyone seems to be back ordered. Nevertheless, I'll keep trying.

Thanks for your input.

I was in your same boat just. I came across Pedego and was sold.
While I like their product. I was really sold on their after the sale support and dealer network. They have dealers in Alexandria and Frederick.
I want no after the sale headaches.
While I believe they are competitively priced. I do not believe they are the best buy around however I do believe they offer some of the best support around.
They have been around a while and have a decent following particularly with older riders who want superior customer service and are willing to pay for it.
For the most part I do believe you get what you pay for.
Although I have not had my step thru very long, So far I'm very satisfied.

Lloyd, I’m have nothing to do with Aventon, only a customer and have a Pace 500. I purchased it a year ago last June and quite happy with it and the customer service was second to none. Unfortunately, during this Covid crises, customer service has been terrible, not only Aventon, but from what I hear, all of them. It would behoove all of them to boost their communications. This is an extremely integral part of sales. Again, I’m sorry, but my experience
Had been excellent. Shame on all of them.

Lloyd, I’m have nothing to do with Aventon, only a customer and have a Pace 500. I purchased it a year ago last June and quite happy with it and the customer service was second to none. Unfortunately, during this Covid crises, customer service has been terrible, not only Aventon, but from what I hear, all of them. It would behoove all of them to boost their communications. This is an extremely integral part of sales. Again, I’m sorry, but my experience
Had been excellent. Shame on all of them.
Shame on all of them for having difficulties with record high demand in the middle of a world-wide pandemic? I'm sure they had to revamp some offices for correct social distancing, having employees work from home if they are in hot spots, and having impossible delays in shipping. I'd say we should be grateful they are shipping and dealing with customers at all. Easy for people sitting hunkered down in their homes to complain about how they can't get a quick response from people that are taking risks at their workplace. Shame on complainers. Having a running eBike is rarely a necessity of life

You’re right Rich C and I apologize., but I do think it’s important to respond to their calls and emails. It doesn’t take a full cadre to answer calls and respond to emails.

Okay, I'm torn among three step thru bikes and close in price: RAd City ST, Magnum UI 6 and the Ride 1 UP 700 series. All three have their pros and some cons. What I'm most concerned about is customer support after purchasing the bike. I'm new to e-bikes but have done a lot of trolling through the various forums this past month which has led me to this point. BTW, I'm 70 years old, 5'7",165 lbs. with no major health concerns, at least at this time!
I'm convinced about wanting a step thru configuration. Most of my riding will be on pavement or firm crushed stone pathways in and around the Wash. DC area.

I like the clean look of the Ride 1 Up but am weary about their customer support and the company is only 2 years old. Rad City has a great support network pf previous buyers but I haven't had an opportunity to ride or even see one in the "wild." The Magnum is also a good looking bike but may have more power than I really need, however I haven't rode one.

I would really appreciate some input and experiences from you, good or bad. Thanks for sharing.
What ebikes have you actually ridden? A couple of test rides will clear up the confusion pretty quickly. Even if you just rent one for a day, you can learn a lot. My 2 cents.

You’re right Rich C and I apologize., but I do think it’s important to respond to their calls and emails. It doesn’t take a full cadre to answer calls and respond to emails.

Well uh, yeah, it does. JensonUSA, a local retailer, gets over a thousand calls a day. Simply put, they just can't get to them all. If you're not buying a bike because someone didn't respond quickly enough to you then that's on you.

For OP, there is surely something to be said for buying from a reputable local dealer, especially a Trek, Specialized, or Giant - the 'big-3'. If you have any issues they'll be there to support your purchase. Their bikes are nicer too.

I bought a 2020 Rad Rover Step through and really like it a lot. Support has been great and they have lots of videos for do it yourself repairs and maintenance. I was actually interested in the Rad City until I found out the Rover has twice the torque.

Back