Really big rider

MBR

I weigh about 300lbs. I'm also a fairly experienced distance cyclist, slowly completing multiple half century rides in the last year. When biking I have to be in the right mindset, because it's not easy for me, and this mindset is not what one needs when leaving work late at night.

Hence I'm looking for an e-bike.

I tested an ST1 last weekend and thought it was amazing. It made biking fun, and not the exercise in self flagellation that I normally turn it in to.

I guess the question is, with price not being a concern, is the ST1 my best option? Should I be looking at lower powered hub motor bikes? Am I screwing everything up if I want to carry an extra battery and 15lbs of gear for a 50-60 mile ride?

If you liked the ST1 experience this is a decent time to buy because the ST2 is launching soon. Some offer city kits but you can always do that yourself. I'm heading out for a 58 mile ride this morning, 2nd battery racked, 15 - 20 lbs on my back - totally doable. Now I'm only a buck 80, and worked my way up to those distances, so we all have to train for our distance goals. Get a BodyFloat from day one, should help with comfort and keep your stoke up! Cheers and welcome to the forum. -S

Reactions: MBR
I do not think you can go wrong with the ST1. Based on your distance sounds like the Platinum is the model you will want to have the added speed. I commute 32 miles one way mostly flat with the last 5 miles climbing about 300 feet. I am able to make it all the way on a battery charge on the city setting. I weight in at 240 and carry about 15 or so pounds in panniers.

Yesterday I had to fight a head wind and I ran the battery out about 1/4 mile from my house so I am pretty pleased with the performance. Based on your needed distance a second battery will get you there without issue. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

MBR my hat is off to you in continuing to cycle despite it being a chore. With multiple back operations, age and other self induced health concerns such as smoking, I too had trouble mustering up the mind set required for regular cycling. I see a lot of people with issues that got them away from the joys of getting in the breeze. This is where e-bikes really shine. Hills flatten out, the extra loads are reduced to figuring out how to carry them securely, and our legs become those of a ten year old again. The yellow jersey crowd sometimes jeer and denigrate us, if a magic wand were available to turn back the clock and remove all my impediments sign me up.

Ebikes give me that magic wand and the freedom to experience that joy again. The ST1 you are considering sounds like a good fit, if you have the opportunity to try out a few different brands and models I would encourage it, you are likely to live with your choice for quite some time. As Shea said above customizing your bike to your needs is easy to do with the plethora of bicycle accessories available.

Thanks for the support everyone.

I'm primarily getting an e-bike as a way to get around San Francisco, commuting and otherwise, so mostly 6 to 10 mile round trips with some hills. I started looking at the Elite because of that. Then my brain started wandering... I sometimes bike down to Palo Alto, a relatively flat 45 mile trip. But I have to plan a day around it, because I'm slow. With stopping, I average sub 10MPH and I'm shot at the end of the day. I started hearing about the ranges on some of these things and I realized that I can have the experience that some of my friends have, of doing 45 miles in 2.5 or 3 hours and then getting on with the rest of the day.

I also just realized that the website is using my FB picture. That's the Aids/Lifecycle ride from SF to LA. That photo was at rest stop 4, 3 days in. It was an experience, but it was brutal on my body - both the ride and the year of training beforehand. I don't lose weight from cycling, instead my legs just stop fitting into pants. Most people consider a cadence of 90 normal, for me 70 is a stretch goal. I guess I'm a born weightlifter who happens to enjoy cycling. The electric bicycle made me feel like a cycling natural. It was certainly work, but it was fun.

So here's the next question. Normal frame or step through? I think the normal one looks better, but with a rack and street clothing, stepping through just seems so practical. Is there any major difference in frame stiffness?

Stromer makes some of the best e-bikes in the market. Carrying stuff is all dependent upon your conditioning. If you can handle the extra weight and the decrease in range then there is no issue for you. I find the Stromer products to have strong frames, very good comfort, and strong customer service. Step-Thru is what I recommend for everyone. It does not affect performance or structure only aesthetics. The new ST2 coming in March 2015 is fantastic and has a stronger motor and larger battery plus new communication technology. It is 2X expensive but sensational.

Thanks, "86"

I'm very interested in the ST 2, but also looking for a commuter bike now. I figure in a year, if I'm using my bike all the time, I'll sell the ST1 and get a 2. I'm mostly sold on the step thru frame, but it just doesn't look quite as nice. Then again, with a rack and bags, it just looks like a city bike.

I decided to jump on the deal and earlier this evening I got an ST1 Elite. I got the step-thru frame in black, fully loaded with the bigger battery and the city kit. I think the normal frame looks better, but with a basket or cargo on the back, the step-thru is so much easier to use. They were out of stock, so I've got to wait until the end of next week.

Thanks all.

With 2 panniers loaded w/an extra battery in each, spare tools and spare clothes there is less stability w/my wife's step thru than my step over, more flex is noticeable

Mark

Mark,

Would you say the flex is a deal breaker? I was torn between the two models, but if I ever get a trunk or rear basket, the step-thru is far more usable to me. But I'd hate to have the bike not work very well as a bike.

Thanks.

Probably not a a deal breaker, I live w/the panniers on and loaded so it does matter to me though. On her bike w/only 1 bag (loaded ) it is questionable if I can ride "no hands" while on my bike I still can. Hers will start to oscillate. You almost have to try and notice the difference , once you do , it will remind you every now and then.

I have a no name cheap bike that is step through . I was not able to to test the non step through as I bought on ebay in a hurry but it flexes all the time. On hers w/o additional baggage you probably cant tell the difference between the Stromers....maybe if you try....BTW i am 210 lbs in the morning before I eat, dress etc. if you are small it will show less

The bottom line go test, you have to live w/the decision , not me :) !!!

Mark

My Dash (Diamond frame design) , with a rear rack, and 12 - 15 pounds will also oscillate, with no hands, at certain speeds. Fortunately it is a slow and weak oscillation, nothing like the near death wobbles I've had on the road bike. I'm thinking about putting a headcap dampener on it. Many years ago I had the front panniers, no problems - a bit of an inertial dampener when loaded. -S

Thanks again everyone. I decided to go with the oh so slightly stiffer normal frame. I really like the space inside the frame for a lock or other accessories. It was close, but I'm pretty sure I was getting the bike to flex at least a little bit with the step-thru design.

The best part is that they didn't have a medium step-thru in black, but they do have a normal one, so I get my bike this weekend instead of a couple weeks from now.

You will love it, I have all ready put over 300 miles on my bike and I have only had it 2 weeks.

Also here is a video I captured this morning on my way into work.

WTHeck! Looks like it turned into a litigation video at the end there. I don't envy all that heavy traffic, the truck was at least signaling the turn. -S

That video was a bit more exciting than I expected. But it looks like you were really moving fast and before the near miss, looked like a lot of fun. I bike a lot in the city and here it's the busses that cut you off.

That video was a bit more exciting than I expected. But it looks like you were really moving fast and before the near miss, looked like a lot of fun. I bike a lot in the city and here it's the busses that cut you off.

Oh the busses are happy to accommodate where I am at as well.

Back