RC-S battery complaints?

tlippy

There are some who have had the battery connectors freeze/corrode A poster here had the terminals on both the battery and the bike corrode to the point where he had a very difficult time even getting the battery out. He eventually got it fixed but with a lot of frustration. I hope that some of the geniuses here can come to a consensus and fix the problem. I have the opinion that the battery is slightly moving, possibly during aggressive riding, and the high battery voltage is sufficient to cause sparking which is burning the connectors. Just wonder if: " Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection." would help. I really don't think that a velcro strap around the base of the battery would do much good. Surely some here have an answer. Or maybe the problem is isolated?

No one has answered, so I contacted Superlube today and asked if their silicone dielectric formula would help. "YES" was the answer so I ordered a tube today from Amazon. The silicone version will help keep moisture out plus stop the sparking. Also don't be concerned about non conductivity. When you push the contacts together it cleans the contacts and they will conduct. I'm gonna try it.

No one has answered, so I contacted Superlube today and asked if their silicone dielectric formula would help. "YES" was the answer so I ordered a tube today from Amazon. The silicone version will help keep moisture out plus stop the sparking. Also don't be concerned about non conductivity. When you push the contacts together it cleans the contacts and they will conduct. I'm gonna try it.
A friend of mine is a trouble man for an electric utility and he swears by silicone dielectric lubricant. He won't use dielectric grease because it eventually dries out. I've been using the same tube I purchased in the 90's and it looks and works like new. There might be newer alternatives available today. Since I've had great luck using it on my tractor, motorcycles and automobiles I'll use up what I have before buying something new.

Back