Range Extender

pcassedy

Region
USA
I have a Turbo Vado 5.0 SL purchased 1 1/2 years ago. I have ridden only about 1500 miles due to a surgery. I am now getting back to riding regularly and would like to add more power with the Range Extender battery. When I purchased the bike the salesman said it would be best to get an extra battery at that time so the batteries age and power are evenly matched. I know that can be an issue when two batteries are used in tandem. I would appreciate any helpful information.

I have a Turbo Vado 5.0 SL purchased 1 1/2 years ago. I have ridden only about 1500 miles due to a surgery. I am now getting back to riding regularly and would like to add more power with the Range Extender battery. When I purchased the bike the salesman said it would be best to get an extra battery at that time so the batteries age and power are evenly matched. I know that can be an issue when two batteries are used in tandem. I would appreciate any helpful information.
Worry not. There are not any known issues with Range Extenders or using them with the existing main battery.

Mission Control app allows you to set "Discharge the Range Extender First" if you prefer. If you will mostly use your Vado SL for relatively short rides, make this setting active. After a number of rides, you will match the number of recharge cycles on both batteries.

Whatever, there is no single issue with using the Range Extender with your existing Vado SL disregarding if you prefer to discharge both batteries in parallel or the Range Extender first.

Note: The SL RE kit comes with the proper water bottle cage, and the rubber band for securing the RE in the bottle cage. You need to buy the SL Road Cable (220 mm), and I recommend also buying the SL Y-Cable for charging both batteries in parallel.

P.S. Upon RE purchase, ask the salesman to update the RE battery firmware. You will need to have your Vado SL with you for the update (unless the dealer would update the battery using his own Vado SL; it requires any SL e-bike to do the update).

Last edited:
From my experience, make sure you connect and lock the Range Extender in place correctly to the charge port. The rubber washers on the cable are easy to snag, so ensure no water get in the charge port. Discharge Range Extender first can be troublesome as Stefan notes and this can make the bike turn off, but mine did not have the firmware update at the time. If it did shut off, just disconnect the Range Extender and re-start the bike...

From my experience, make sure you connect and lock the Range Extender in place correctly to the charge port. The rubber washers on the cable are easy to snag, so ensure no water get in the charge port. Discharge Range Extender first can be troublesome as Stefan notes and this can make the bike turn off, but mine did not have the firmware update at the time. If it did shut off, just disconnect the Range Extender and re-start the bike...
I had the same issue when I went with Deplete Extender first - bike power GONE. But I don't know if it might have changed over if I had given it more time but was on UPHILL chasing a friend and just stopped and did the disconnect/restart like you suggest.

I have not tried it since but also now have the firmware upgrade (about two weeks ago). Maybe I should give it another go.

Also @pcassedy In your original post you mentioned "more power". The Range Extender does not provide more power as in UMPPPHHH. It extends the range of the ride. Although, I guess you could boost the power to Turbo or Sport more often since you now have the additional battery, so that could actually be MORE POWER rather than duration.

Range Extenders decidedly need the firmware upgrade for the full functionality. Now, all my four REs work as expected. When a RE is near depletion (below 20%) the main battery kicks in to assist the RE in tasks such as Turbo mode.

Back