Range Calculation on Urban Arrow Bosch Intuvia Display

Akilou

Region
USA
I just got an Urban Arrow with the Bosch system and Intivua Display. I only have less than 50 miles on the odometer, but I have a question about how it calculates range. I noticed that the range estimate often increases after a ride and I'm wondering what are the inputs it's basing its estimate on. Is it as simple as taking the amount of charge in the battery and dividing out by what assist level I currently have selected? (e.g. ok, you're at 75% charge and it's set to Tour mode, which should give you [x] more miles) Or does it take into account real-world data such as how much work I'm doing and how far we've gone? (e.g. ok, over the last mile or so, he's consumed [x]% of the battery, given that it's now down to a 75% charge, if he continues at this rate, he should get about [y] more miles out of the battery. Oh, what's that? He bumped it up to Turbo mode for a steep incline? Well, now the range is only [z] more miles)

I just got an Urban Arrow with the Bosch system and Intivua Display. I only have less than 50 miles on the odometer, but I have a question about how it calculates range. I noticed that the range estimate often increases after a ride and I'm wondering what are the inputs it's basing its estimate on. Is it as simple as taking the amount of charge in the battery and dividing out by what assist level I currently have selected? (e.g. ok, you're at 75% charge and it's set to Tour mode, which should give you [x] more miles) Or does it take into account real-world data such as how much work I'm doing and how far we've gone? (e.g. ok, over the last mile or so, he's consumed [x]% of the battery, given that it's now down to a 75% charge, if he continues at this rate, he should get about [y] more miles out of the battery. Oh, what's that? He bumped it up to Turbo mode for a steep incline? Well, now the range is only [z] more miles)
its a lot of things. speed and hills and your power input and the riding mode your in. when you change modes or the terrain changes it can take a bit for the calculations to keep up. I see more of a jump around on my new bosch motor then I did on the second gen. how many watts you put out makes a difference. the less you work can actually give you more range as long as you speed is not too much. I ride the same routes and Icna see how my watts average effects the range. when I feel tired I can actually get more range then when Feel ok and hit the spot will things are the least efficient. then when I feel great I get more range.

Last edited:
One of my old ebikes calculated range but I ignored it. I just got a good feel of the range after about 150 miles. I just used the battery level indicator and used my butt dyno to calculate the range left. Not saying range estimates don't work, I just don't use it.

Bosch is pretty secretive regarding how it does things, but I agree with fooferdoggie that it seems to base it on your riding in the recent past. Assist level is a big factor too. If you're concerned about range, you can always use turbo less and slow down a bit...

It's not that I have range anxiety, I'm just learning this new bike and want to understand what it's doing.

If your range estimate increased at the end of your ride, it’s bc the last couple of miles were flat/downhill. The estimate is based on recent (last couple of miles) cadence and torque.

I was once riding in MD’s hilly “western” shore. My eco range was 75 or so. After the Bay Bridge, I was in the flat Eastern Shore. After a couple of miles, the range shot up to 110!

It's not that I have range anxiety, I'm just learning this new bike and want to understand what it's doing.
you will get to understand it with more riding. I commute the same route every day and my energy levels fluctuate a lot. it has let me see how much my power levels effect the range. also the few times I have drained the battery it it always gives me about 1.5 miles after it shows 0 miles left.

you will get to understand it with more riding. I commute the same route every day and my energy levels fluctuate a lot. it has let me see how much my power levels effect the range. also the few times I have drained the battery it it always gives me about 1.5 miles after it shows 0 miles left.
Wow. You drained the battery? How far did you ride? How fast? I regularly do 12 mile rides with about 1000 feet of climbing, using about 15% of my 625 watt hour battery.

Wow. You drained the battery? How far did you ride? How fast? I regularly do 12 mile rides with about 1000 feet of climbing, using about 15% of my 625 watt hour battery.
go faster :D on my bulls I tend to cruise at about 20 to 22mph on tour I would get around 30 and max of 35 miles if it is flat. on my trek with the fatter tires its around 18mph it has the 625 battery and I get 40 or so on tour and 50 or so on eco. speed can really eat your battery up fast. on our bosch powered tandem that has the performance not speed motor we can get up to 40 on tour unless we climb a lot of hills.

On flats, my range is near infinite, because I don't use any power. Of course I'm going about 1/2 your speed. OTOH, I'm going on the edge of a lake, so I'm enjoying the scenery too! Our roads are very curvy and treed, so you don't have great site lines either - another reason we keep the speed down.
This discussion is a great example of why predicting range is so difficult - riding style and headwinds make such a huge difference.

If your range estimate increased at the end of your ride, it’s bc the last couple of miles were flat/downhill. The estimate is based on recent (last couple of miles) cadence and torque.

I was once riding in MD’s hilly “western” shore. My eco range was 75 or so. After the Bay Bridge, I was in the flat Eastern Shore. After a couple of miles, the range shot up to 110!
Yes, this characterizes my experience as well. My regular route is 3 miles of slight inclination all the way out, then the same 3 miles in the other direction downhill. At my turn around point, my estimated range is often significantly lower than after I get all the way back home.

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

Now I have even more questions. Like, I wonder how much history it takes into account when calculating.

On flats, my range is near infinite, because I don't use any power. Of course I'm going about 1/2 your speed. OTOH, I'm going on the edge of a lake, so I'm enjoying the scenery too! Our roads are very curvy and treed, so you don't have great site lines either - another reason we keep the speed down.
This discussion is a great example of why predicting range is so difficult - riding style and headwinds make such a huge difference.
ya anything under 15 does not really take any power. I usually use it because I don't like the sluggish feel on such a heavy bike.

Back