Range and mathematics, something does not add up

ebikerr

Region
USA
The Priority current has a 250W motor and a 500Wh battery.
The motor can do 500W peak I guess, but not sustained.

I am assuming at pedal assist 4, if I pedal with minimal wind at around 21-22mph we are talking 250W

So I should be getting 40 miles + range. Reduce 20% for efficiency and 30 miles+ is definitely possible.

But... I get around 20-25 with pedal assist 4, not even close to 30 miles. 30 miles is pedal assist 3 range. Is there a table which lists power output of motor at various assist levels?

I have a Bosch motor and similar sized battery on my Trek Verve+3. Trek has a range estimator on there web site, you may have to hunt to find it. I think if you click on a particular model of e bike you can find it. You can put in your weight, windy or calm, flat or hilly, the assist level etc. and it matches my range I actually experience accurately.

Mine is a class I bike so the boost cuts out at 20 mph but if it was unlocked I would expect a range similar to what you are getting. That fast speed is killing your range.

The Priority current has a 250W motor and a 500Wh battery.
The motor can do 500W peak I guess, but not sustained.

I am assuming at pedal assist 4, if I pedal with minimal wind at around 21-22mph we are talking 250W

So I should be getting 40 miles + range. Reduce 20% for efficiency and 30 miles+ is definitely possible.

But... I get around 20-25 with pedal assist 4, not even close to 30 miles. 30 miles is pedal assist 3 range. Is there a table which lists power output of motor at various assist levels?

on a bike with an upright riding position, large tires, not particular aerodynamic or easy rolling, it takes more like 350-400 watts to go 21-22mph. corresponds to a battery draw of 440-500w, so range should be exactly what you’re seeing - a bit over an hour at 21-22mph is 20-25 miles.

motor power ratings are not too meaningful, what really matters is power draw, and of course how much power it takes to overcome drag and friction. (or gravity if uphill)

09B012D1-841B-4631-9384-243D6017F086.jpeg

So if a motor is rated 250W, its actually putting out more than 250W? Its a pedal assist, I assuming I pedal hard and put in 100W or so, then motor is doing 250W only.

So if a motor is rated 250W, its actually putting out more than 250W? Its a pedal assist, I assuming I pedal hard and put in 100W or so, then motor is doing 250W only.
usually but you don't really know. I found out how much I have to put out for the bosch motor to hit its peak on long climbs. but how many watts is it doing? I know for short sprints it does more then long climbs. like I have to put out about 520 watts at 70roms to hit the peak on my trek.

Back