Rain Capes - the answer to commuting in the rain!

I have a J & G rain cape http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-Capes.html
The inside waist tie and sewn in elastic thumb loops are essential, but even then I find I need to scrunch up a good couple of inches of fabric to keep it taught across the handlebars otherwise it flops down and all the water drains off in front and soaks you underneath, and in a heavy downpour water comes in around your neck so you still get soaking wet. A veltop like the one’s shown above might be better, or a crap Chinese knock off like this might work but you’ll be thrown about in the wind if you put the sides down (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
You need a longer cape, one that will go over the handlebars.

Another good use for a shower cap - I keep one in my pannier for the ride home when it's been raining. Pop it over my bike seat and my waterproof pants are just that much more comfortable. Much cheaper than the bike seat covers that you can buy in a store

I've started using a pair of cheap safety glasses that go over my regular glasses. So far they've worked well enough in light rain and they've kept my eyes from tearing up on cold morning downhills.
At the pharmacy or eyeglasses sellers, you can buy protective glasses that also cover the sides and top, and some have the yellow tint..they're polarized and are great during the day...makes the view more clear than without them and the wind is cut down to a pleasant air circulation. Around $20. They are perfect for me over my prescription glasses. For night time I'd want a clear version, haven't found them in clear yet.
They're the kind of large sunglasses you see older people wearing after surgery - but in the yellow tint.

I have always found that my front tire splashes water directly onto my pedaling feet and even Goretex shoes were not keeping my feet dry. I have really light Goretex jacket and over-pants that keep my upper body totally dry and take only about a minute to put on if it starts raining (easy to have in the backpack I always have whether riding or driving.

I literally kind of gave up on the idea that a front fender serves a purpose. The water from the pavement splashes are not stopped by any fender and if you are riding at any speed over 12mph or so the water just pumps out the front of the fender and up into your face and body. I know some fenders have channels to pump the water to the side of the fender but that just reduces the volume coming off the front of the tire and fender. Just wear good rain gear when it rains.

Back