Rain Capes - the answer to commuting in the rain!

Big Tom

How many on this forum have heard of Rain Capes? A Rain Cape is a poncho that is designed to be used when riding a bike. It has a long front that goes over the handlebars and a short back so it doesn't get stuck in the rear wheel. If you have a rear fender these are the ideal way to travel in the rain on a e-bike and stay dry. The Poncho type design allows a lot of air circulation so you don't end up in a sweat pool. The one I have does have a hood but not big enough for a helmet. I think the better ones will. In Europe these are common and made in many different materials.

Riding in the rain is the greatest challenge in convincing someone to use a bike to commute. I have tried a rain cape and it worked really well. The next problem I see is the face and I've seen protective face shields that could attach to a helmet and might solve the rain in the face at 20 MPH problem.

Attachments

• rain cape.jpg
    rain cape.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 904
Capes, aka ponchos, work. Fenders are essential with poncho use for two reasons: way less splash, and they keep the poncho from rubbing on a moving tire. If you wear glasses or cycling goggles, Rain-X keeps the drops off the lenses.

I'm not a big fan. I prefer a rain jacket and pants, and a $2.99 bright yellow shower cap stretched over my helmet. The capes catch wind like a sail, and I can't see the controls or get my hands out from under them quickly. The hood restricts my view when I turn my head and it's really noisy inside that hood, which reduces my ability to hear what's going on around me, and sound gives me a lot information about traffic and such. It's just my opinion, but I see them as a potential hazard. I've started using a pair of cheap safety glasses that go over my regular glasses. So far they've worked well enough in light rain and they've kept my eyes from tearing up on cold morning downhills.

The downside to a rain jacket and rain pants is that they don't breathe. It's like an encapsulated shower that will soak your clothes which makes the outfit sort of pointless. Ponchos do catch wind, so ride slower... which you should do in stormy weather and on wet roads anyway. If the hood annoys, use the poncho without it. I don't ride with my eyes on the bike's handlebar controls, haven't found it a necessity, so can't help you there.

I'm not a big fan. I prefer a rain jacket and pants, and a $2.99 bright yellow shower cap stretched over my helmet. The capes catch wind like a sail, and I can't see the controls or get my hands out from under them quickly. The hood restricts my view when I turn my head and it's really noisy inside that hood, which reduces my ability to hear what's going on around me, and sound gives me a lot information about traffic and such. It's just my opinion, but I see them as a potential hazard. I've started using a pair of cheap safety glasses that go over my regular glasses. So far they've worked well enough in light rain and they've kept my eyes from tearing up on cold morning downhills.
I don't wear the hood because of the reasons you mentioned.
I like the shower cap idea!
I sweat like a pig in rain pants and jacket, more from the humidity then anything else. The cape doesn't have that problem. Some of the capes have an interior belt that will keep it from billowing, mine doesn't but didn't experience that.
Did you try a real cape or just a poncho?

I don't wear the hood because of the reasons you mentioned.
I like the shower cap idea!
I sweat like a pig in rain pants and jacket, more from the humidity then anything else. The cape doesn't have that problem. Some of the capes have an interior belt that will keep it from billowing, mine doesn't but didn't experience that.
Did you try a real cape or just a poncho?
I borrowed a cape from a friend. I definitely understand the "wet out" issue, and a cape would be one solution. My gear is all Gore Tex, or similar, but that can be overwhelmed in warm wet weather, but once the rains start here, temperatures are generally pretty cool or cold. And having an ebike definitely makes the issue of sweating less of a concern than it used to be.

Last edited:
Never tried the rain cape. And I've never had a big issue with a good set of cycling rain pants and jacket. The jackets have zippers for ventilation. Oh, and booties or water proof shoes. Between that and wicking clothing such as a thin wool, it's a fine, though not cheap solution.

Love the poncho idea. Will give it a try, though I wouldn't want it covering my controls because I do need to see them. :)

Last edited:
Love the poncho idea. Will give it a try, though I wouldn't want it covering my controls because I do need to see them. :)
Rain Cape, not poncho. To keep you dry it needs to go over the handlebar, I have one that has a zippered parts that allow you to put it over instruments so you can see them.
Someone suggested using a shower cap to waterproof your helmet. I thought that was a great idea.

Rain Cape, not poncho. To keep you dry it needs to go over the handlebar, I have one that has a zippered parts that allow you to put it over instruments so you can see them.
Someone suggested using a shower cap to waterproof your helmet. I thought that was a great idea.
A rain cape and shower cap, this is great with Halloween coming up! LOL I'd start to worry about my dignity with that get up.

Maybe a design deal with Marvel. How about Captain America?
You laugh but that's a great idea if you market it to the 22 - 32 age bracket. The colors would draw attention and that's the idea! You could print a shower cap for your helmet . I can see Batman or Superman, the cape flowing behind as you ride... LOL

Can you share any link to your rain cape (unless I missed a link in past posts.)

I have a J & G rain cape http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-Capes.html
The inside waist tie and sewn in elastic thumb loops are essential, but even then I find I need to scrunch up a good couple of inches of fabric to keep it taught across the handlebars otherwise it flops down and all the water drains off in front and soaks you underneath, and in a heavy downpour water comes in around your neck so you still get soaking wet. A veltop like the one’s shown above might be better, or a crap Chinese knock off like this might work but you’ll be thrown about in the wind if you put the sides down (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Back