Rain and the e-bike on a Hitch Rack

MikeDD

I just purchased a hitch rack for my e-bike. I usually use an enclosed trailer, if my wife brings her trike. If you get caught in a down pour with your bike on the rack can you expect damage to the motor etc.? Would removing the battery matter? Does the make of the bike matter?

This is a good question. I would suggest contacting the ebike's manufacturer. Ebikes seem to vary in terms of how much rain they can take.

If expecting heavy rain, methinks I'd want to cover my bike, especially if I were driving fast, which would increase the force of water onto the bike.

As for removing the battery, my bike's manufacturer says to remove the battery when carrying the bike on a rack. You might check this with your own ebike's manufacturer as well. :)

I hope you enjoy your new rack! :)

Removing the battery will almost certainly expose the connecting terminals: don't do it (unless instructed by the maker).
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I take the batteries off when we know rain is on the way, I also installed a power inverter in our car so we can charge them while driving.
After I remove the battery I wrap the empty compartment in saran wrap and then clear packing tape on the ends. We use a trashbag over the handlebars (was told by mfg that readout display was important to minimize wAter.), we put it over the bars wrap tight at the frame neck and then clear tape around the neck. This has worked exceptionally well and only takes a minute to take it back off. I initially was going to use a cover but the cover obstructs way too much of my rear view vs the saran wrap keeps it clean and easy.

I just purchased a hitch rack for my e-bike. I usually use an enclosed trailer, if my wife brings her trike. If you get caught in a down pour with your bike on the rack can you expect damage to the motor etc.? Would removing the battery matter? Does the make of the bike matter?
Hi Mike - good question - yes removing the battery is a good idea - covering your bike on the trailer and off during the rain is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have an eMTB, I hoping/thinking it's got to be "somewhat" waterproof as you encounter all kinds of weather conditions. I know you aren't supposed to submerged the motor in water. But I would think rain (not driving hurricane-like rain) be okay...

With that said, I've gotten caught in the rain riding home. A pretty good but short T-storm which dumps a lot of rain and I didn't have any issues afterwards. I've had my bike on the rack on the back of my pick-up truck for a 30 mile drive home on the freeway and no issues.

I also wash my bike when it gets super-dirty with a hose. Now I don't use high pressure aimed directly at the gearbox/motor area, but water does run all over the bike, and no issues.

Admittedly I've not had my bike for very long time, I guess time will tell if I did the wrong things...

Trek Powerfly - Take the battery off and rain won't bother the bike or the terminals. I've done it this way for countless trips without a problem.

I carry my Pedegos in the open bed of my pickup. I have driven through several heavy rainstorms with no issues. I do protect the handlebars since they stick up above the roof of the cab and are exposed to the direct impact of wind, water and debris. I use cheap, heavy canvas snap on "fruit Picker sleeves"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q2MGDHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P1060730.JPG P1060735.JPG

Pedego recommends removing the battery during transport but claims the bike is otherwise water resistant and should suffer no water related damage.

It should be noted that carrying bikes of any kind on exposed racks during the winter may expose them to road salt. This corrosive agent can damage exposed metal surfaces like disk brakes.

I would be concerned with the display and throttle. The throttle has moving parts, so water proofing would be nearly impossible. I've read about damaged display screens, but not specifically water damage. It just looks fragile to me. Both batteries and motors are not to be submerged. To me, that's the same as driving rain. Personally, my eBikes were pretty big investments. I treat them accordingly.

I should have stated the bikes I have. I have a Rad Mini which I would probably not haul on the rack as I can fold it and put in the SUV. The bike I intend to haul on the rack is a Specialized Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie/29. I would think the Levo would be fairly waterproof from the rain, I see photos of it covered in mud. It does not have a display or throttle.

Thanks for all the responses. I knew this would be the forum to ask.

Just a thought, I found that a heavy duty bbq grill cover works really well. It fits right over the rack and bikes with room to spare. Fasten down with the velco straps and bungee cords. The cover is rip and water proof.

I should have stated the bikes I have. I have a Rad Mini which I would probably not haul on the rack as I can fold it and put in the SUV. The bike I intend to haul on the rack is a Specialized Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie/29. I would think the Levo would be fairly waterproof from the rain, I see photos of it covered in mud. It does not have a display or throttle.

Thanks for all the responses. I knew this would be the forum to ask.
Here are the open statements in the Specialized warranty, so dry it off so it doesn't rust (tough to do internal drying), and document all the maintenance;
  • Crash, neglect, improper repair, improper maintenance, or other abnormal, excessive, or improper use.
  • Corrosion.
  • Failure to perform maintenance or service at appropriate intervals in accordance with the written instructions provided with the Product

I traveled with both my Radrovers on my Saris Platform rack from ABQ to Grand Canyon back in November/2016. I was anticipating some rain when traveling at +75 mph hwy speeds, dust/dirt, or just morning frost if I couldn't take the ebikes indoors at night. I removed the rack bag, battery, seatpost/seat, and aux headlight.

I did:
- White Lightning Chain Johnny: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/white-lightning-chain-johnny-40-0707
- Added the Luna Cycle triange bag to cover the battery/tray area: https://lunacycle.com/batteries/battery-bags/luna-cycles-triangle-battery-bag/
- wrapped the handlebars and LCD in Sarah wrap and secured ends with clear packing tape. Looked stupid; but, didn't want driving rain or dust/dirt in the brake handles, gear shift, PAS control, or LCD display with USB port.
- stuffed a rag into the empty seatpost
- Had a travel bike cover that enclosed the two rovers and platform hitch if the weather really got bad or use for added security at the hotel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WENDUS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I felt a lot of drag at 75 mph with the bike cover with two Radrovers on the back of my large SUV and opted not to use. I figured I would only need at the hotel or extreme weather situations (also at a more reduced hwy speed for less drag in bad weather).

About the Radmini and Rad bikes in general: I talked to their reps before purchasing about rain. Like I figured, the bikes are based out of Seattle, so are good to go in the rain. Was told that water coming down is not a problem. I understood that water coming horizontally is not so good. They also mentioned to park the bike in a dry place and dry it off when done biking in the rain.

I bought a cheap bike cover and covered my bike up when it was being moved in the bed of my pickup. The cover ripped to shreds after 150 miles. That was only half way and it was winter. My Radmini survived and was fine. The cover went into a dumpster. It was even beyond duct tape fixing.

The Levo has no throttle nor display but the Intuvia or Purion will not have a problem. Rain will not be an issue for the Levo - it's much like the Trek Powerfly and meant for singletrack not greenway riding. I would say unless your getting it under three feet of water you are not going to have a problem. I also used dielectic gel to protect - useless and did more harm than good - do not use. covers the terminals and dirt and debris collects on it. Keep contacts free of it and wipe when you wash.

I traveled with both my Radrovers on my Saris Platform rack from ABQ to Grand Canyon back in November/2016. I was anticipating some rain when traveling at +75 mph hwy speeds, dust/dirt, or just morning frost if I couldn't take the ebikes indoors at night. I removed the rack bag, battery, seatpost/seat, and aux headlight.

I did:
- White Lightning Chain Johnny: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/white-lightning-chain-johnny-40-0707
- Added the Luna Cycle triange bag to cover the battery/tray area: https://lunacycle.com/batteries/battery-bags/luna-cycles-triangle-battery-bag/
- wrapped the handlebars and LCD in Sarah wrap and secured ends with clear packing tape. Looked stupid; but, didn't want driving rain or dust/dirt in the brake handles, gear shift, PAS control, or LCD display with USB port.
- stuffed a rag into the empty seatpost
- Had a travel bike cover that enclosed the two rovers and platform hitch if the weather really got bad or use for added security at the hotel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WENDUS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I felt a lot of drag at 75 mph with the bike cover with two Radrovers on the back of my large SUV and opted not to use. I figured I would only need at the hotel or extreme weather situations (also at a more reduced hwy speed for less drag in bad weather).

I agree, the saran wrap is cheap enough to have a roll with you and if needed it really doesn't take that long to put it on or take off. We tried a cover but by the time you put it over two bikes and strap it down good it just blocks your view and blocks your taillights.
I also put luan panel on the bottom of my rack so that the road mist doesn't come up from the bottom.

I've got a Voltbike Elegant with the fairly standard ReEntion Durato battery system. I purchased a few connectors that can plug into the Frame connector. (Actually sets, so I have connectors for the battery too.)

I haven't actually made this yet, But I plan to take a connector and seal it up with hot glue or epoxy. This should act as a pretty good removable water deterrent cap for when the battery is removed.

Should be pretty small and able to be carried around with the bike no problems, or even attached to my rack with some line so I don't lose it. If all goes well, it will also keep out dirt and grime quite well.

I'll try to take a few pictures when I get around to making it. (Won't be very exciting...)

When I washed our bikes this past weekend I took and cut the fingers off a rubber glove and then stretched it over the plug connections! Worked perfect!

Removing the battery will almost certainly expose the connecting terminals: don't do it (unless instructed by the maker).
... David
Dave, Removing the battery makes it easier for me to get it on the rack,(12 pd 21ah). I then put a bit of duct tape over the exposed
terminal as rain is a fact of life here. This can, however, cause momentary distress if you forget to remove the tape when reinstalling
the battery. (Oh no, why isn´t powering up!!)o_O

I have Aventon Levels and have cut a length of pool noodle to fit into the battery cavity which I will then wrap in saran wrap.

Back