Tool bag, Avener
Panniers, 90L De Poort newspaper bags
Lock, Onguard Pitbull
IMG_2809.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG
IMG_2811.JPG
IMG_2812.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
IMG_2813.JPG

Last edited:
To date at 810 miles

Headlight light circut, Busch & Muller IQ-X E
Headlight battery, Specialized Flux Expert
Tail light light circut, Spanninga Elips XE
Flashing tail light battery, Cateye Reflex
Handelbars, Soma Sparrow
Grips, Ergon GP1 Biokork
Stem clock, Stem Captain
Front fender exxtension, SKS velo 55
Brake pads, Shimano resin
Brake & shift cables, Jagwire Mountain Pro
Extended seat post, Cansuc 450mm
Saddle, Selle Royal Becoz Biokork
Pedals, Shimano M324
Axle nuts, Problem Solvers
Rear derailleur, Shimano Deore
Tires, Schwalbe Big Ben Plus
Rear spokes, Sipam
Tool bag, Avener
Panniers, 90L De Poot newspaper bags
Lock, Onguard Pitbull
View attachment 16244 View attachment 16245 View attachment 16246 View attachment 16247 View attachment 16248 (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)View attachment 16250
How did you get Sipam spokes? What was the price? I can't find 12g Sipams anywhere.

How did you get Sipam spokes? What was the price? I can't find 12g Sipams anywhere.
Ebay to the rescue, and the seller ships really fast. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I actually got 13G spokes with the idea the slightly thinner spokes might hold their tension better on a bicycle rim. They're only .3 mm thinner, not much of a difference really (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Ebay to the rescue, and the seller ships really fast. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I actually got 13G spokes with the idea the slightly thinner spokes might hold their tension better on a bicycle rim. They're only .3 mm thinner, not much of a difference really (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Thank you!

Thank you!
Just a FYI, the Sapim nipples are a super tight fit in the rim locking them at 90 deg, I drilled the rim with a 7/32" bit for a better fit that allows the nipples to seat at an angle as their design intends. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

If I were to do it again, I would probably drill the rim out to 15/64", or use the 4mm reducer nipples since I opted for 13g spokes.

Last edited:

Ordered- Hope they work.

hi windmill can you post a few images of the panniers expanded. Also how they attach to the accessory desk. I interested in them but want to make sure i can still get a child seat adapter on. i really don't need that much storage but i like the look and that they appear to be permanently installed rather then quick release. thanks

hi windmill can you post a few images of the panniers expanded. Also how they attach to the accessory desk. I interested in them but want to make sure i can still get a child seat adapter on. i really don't need that much storage but i like the look and that they appear to be permanently installed rather then quick release. thanks
They're very basic, heavy duty newspaper bags from Holland, (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) They're huge being big enough to carry 6 grocery bags, a little crude but heavy duty made with military grade truck tarp and 1/4" plywood
As purchased, they're throw on bags without straps to secure the bag to the bike or hold the flaps down, and required a bit of modification.

I removed the center reinforcement plywood board so I could use the deck to hold the bags in place.
Sealed the plywood backing boards with truck bed liner.
Added straps and buckles to keep the flaps down, or folded flat when not in use.

It takes some work, but they cost me just a little over $100 including shipping from Holland, straps and buckles from Mcmaster Carr. Bags of similar size from Yuba and others are $200+ per side. I'm willing to sacrifice some sophistication to save $300 to $400.

I put cardboard boxes in the bags to show their max size, in normal use they typically don't look so big.
IMG_2819.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2816.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG

Last edited:
I got the cable actuated hydraulic brakes installed, wow, what a difference. A lot stronger and more progressive...and no more manual adjusting!

The front was super easy to install, literally easier and faster than adjusting the OE brake. The rear was a little more time consuming as the wheel guard needed to be trimmed and adjusted, and the cable rerouted behind the wheel guard.
IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2826.JPG

I removed my running boards first day. I found them awkward especially when trying to maneuver the bike from a standing position. My panniers don't reach that far down so really I have no use for them.

Thanks Windmill. Those images help alot. They are definitely huge. With those there would be no need to attach the trailer to take the kids to the park with all their gear. i think i am pretty much sold on them. thanks again

Windmill, could you give the exact model of the brakes you installed? I was thinking of making the same upgrade to cable actuated hydraulic brakes in my wagon and could use the info. Also, did you keep the original rotors? Any other things to watch out for in an install? Thanks!

Windmill, could you give the exact model of the brakes you installed? I was thinking of making the same upgrade to cable actuated hydraulic brakes in my wagon and could use the info. Also, did you keep the original rotors? Any other things to watch out for in an install? Thanks!
I kept one OE rotor, and trying a shimano rotor, and have the TRP HY/RD 180m rotors on order because I could only find them with 140m or 160mm rotors at the time I ordered them.
Other than trimming the opening and and adding a spacer to the wheel guard so the cable can be rerouted, there's not much to it. I would also highly recommend getting quality compressionless cables like the Jagwire mountain pro, to get the most out of the brake upgrade.

This technical bulletin is a little better than the included instructions. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thanks Windmill. Those images help alot. They are definitely huge. With those there would be no need to attach the trailer to take the kids to the park with all their gear. i think i am pretty much sold on them. thanks again
When I mounted the straps and buckles, I used leather working hammer rivets for most of them. If I were to do it again, I would use panhead screws and acorn nuts instead.

Got my spokes and nipples! Getting them installed Friday. Good thing, got hit by a car last week. Everything is a little wonky.

Attachments

• 20170508_102357.jpg
    20170508_102357.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 838
Got my spokes and nipples! Getting them installed Friday. Good thing, got hit by a car last week. Everything is a little wonky.
Sorry you got hit, hope you're ok, a co worker got hit last week too. His bent got totaled, and his foot is broken, classic right hook. They say things come in 3's, I hope I'm not it.

Back