RadRunner 1 - remove speed limiter?

Scott2.0

Hi all, I really like the RadRunner. It fits in my budget, I love the look (sort of dorky), and love the modularity with accessories. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm if covering the wiring pin for the speed limiter is still effective. There seem to be mixed results from newer bikes. I'm not a speed freak (not that there's anything wrong with that!), but I want to be able to keep up with friends on Class 3s. For around the same price or less, I could get Class 3 speed from an Espin Nesta or Lectric XP (any other worth considering?). I want the Rad, but only if I can get rid of the limiter. Thanks!

OK, if I understand the question and the mod this involves, we are talking about the Rad Runner, which has no speedo. If it has no speedo, then the only thing possible that might need a speed sensor input would be this 20mph limiter to my way of thinking. If we were to unplug the wire that comes from the speed sensor, then the controller would have no idea how fast that bike was moving, and that being the case, it couldn't possibly limit the bike's speed as it has no idea of how fast it's going....

I believe that wire is white....

I don't have one, and I've never done the mod, but it sure looks good on paper....

OK, if I understand the question and the mod this involves, we are talking about the Rad Runner, which has no speedo. If it has no speedo, then the only thing possible that might need a speed sensor input would be this 20mph limiter to my way of thinking. If we were to unplug the wire that comes from the speed sensor, then the controller would have no idea how fast that bike was moving, and that being the case, it couldn't possibly limit the bike's speed as it has no idea of how fast it's going....

I believe that wire is white....

I don't have one, and I've never done the mod, but it sure looks good on paper....
Exactly! Here is someone else demonstrating it on YouTube. The reason for my question/post is the comments on the video stating that it doesn’t seem to work on newer bikes.

It would be much easier if it were not for those waterproof connections...

Hi all, I really like the RadRunner. It fits in my budget, I love the look (sort of dorky), and love the modularity with accessories. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm if covering the wiring pin for the speed limiter is still effective. There seem to be mixed results from newer bikes. I'm not a speed freak (not that there's anything wrong with that!), but I want to be able to keep up with friends on Class 3s. For around the same price or less, I could get Class 3 speed from an Espin Nesta or Lectric XP (any other worth considering?). I want the Rad, but only if I can get rid of the limiter. Thanks!

I own a 2020 RR1 and can confirm that the pin cover hack does not work on these newer Rad bikes. I also own a 2020 RR+ with the LCD display, which is also speed-limited to 20mph (this limit can no longer be overridden by changing the display parameters). Near as I can tell, your only option for increasing top speed on these bikes is an upgraded aftermarket motor controller.

Back