RadRover or VeeGo 750?

Vern60

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum though I have been researching and reading a lot of reviews about ebikes lately. I'm looking to get one for myself and am looking for some input from the forum members. At almost 60, I'm an older gent who is finding it increasingly difficult (though certainly not impossible), to swing my leg over my old bike. I'm also pretty heavy, though I've been loosing, I'm still around 240 lbs.
At first, I was really attracted to the Radmini, but after doing more research, and seeing Court's video on the Mexican beach ride, I'm thinking the RadRover might actually be a little better fit. Court mentioned that the bigger wheels probably did a bit better in the sand, though the 20"ers made it as well. Anyhow, the Radmini really doesn't have that great of an advantage at standing height, I think maybe 3". I've also seen quite a few videos of the RadRover on trails and what not and every single person who has it seems to love it.
How ever, the other day I was at the grocery and came across a VeeGo 750, it has very similar components, includes fenders and rack, (RadRover are add ons and out of stock), has a step through frame which is probably a plus for me and a better seat. It just seems to check all the boxes for me. It does though, have the smaller 20" wheels.
Most of my riding will probably be just the local bike trails - VERY HILLY, (I mean steep hills), so power is important to me. It's in fact so hilly sometimes I think a mid motor might be better, but I don't like the idea of the wear on the drive train. I also am really attracted to the fat tires because I plan or hope to do some beach riding - though realistically probably not more than 4 or 5 times a year. And, if I get adventurous I would also like to check out some mild trails, again the fat tires seem nice for this.
The VeeGo is currently going for $1699, if I preorder for November delivery and it really has about everything I want, not much to upgrade at all. The RadRover is also $1699 but doesn't include fenders or any sort of rack.
So what do you guys think? Would the slight advantage of bigger wheels (26 vs 20) offset my desire to have a step through? I'm definitely not getting any younger and notice the swinging leg over just getting worse.

Hello Vern60 and welcome to the forums.
That's an excellent question. I have a Rover so can answer for that one, and for the short answer, if you stand 6 feet or over, then go for the Rover. If not, then read on.
I had my eye on the VeeGo before buying the RAD Mini, but there was no support or any user comments to be found for the bikes. The comments I have seen since have been pretty good though, and you will likely get an answer from someone who owns one.
The boys up there in Seattle have done an excellent job promoting their bikes and provide lots of aftermarket support. The one biggest criticism I have heard most, including my own, is that the Rover stands too tall for most riders. The video they did on stand over height is a bit misleading. Look at those kids. They are all young. When you see the various surveys around here, the smallest category of riders is the group under forty years old. When they made that video, little things like age, disabilities, agility, riding area difficulties, all that stuff was not considered. As you mentioned, swinging a leg over the Rover is not so easy with age. In fact the reason I bought the City Step-Thru was because swinging a leg over the Rover was killing my gimpy knee at the time on my other leg. I have mended since then and I still ride the Rover daily for my desert rides, but it is not a stop and go process. I only have to mount and dismount once.
As I mentioned, support from RAD Power Bikes is excellent, so that and the reliability of the bikes should be the next consideration. I would not be without any of my RADs.
Good luck Vern60, and Happy Trails!

Wow Banzai, thanks for the excellent feedback! Yup, I'm only 5'9 or so, so I'm reading on :) as you advised. I have to laugh because on my non electric bike and with the hills around here I've come home before so gassed I about drop it in my driveway just trying to dismount. I can't help but think a heavier ebike will lead to issues if I can't dismount easily so your feedback is invaluable. Too bad though, review after review of the RadRover always says something along the lines of, "well besides this one tiny knit picking thing, I love it!"
Did you mention you also have or had a Radmini? I like that one too, at least spec wise except it really isn't a whole lot different step over height wise as the RadRover, (I think specs say something like 3"). I guess what I am getting at is I'd love dealing with the Radpower company as they seem to have such great reviews but not finding a bike that really works for me. The step through I also looked at but it has a direct drive hub motor and I worry about power on the hills and as mentioned I kind of want a fat tired bike.
I was happy to see the VeeGo 750 in person, it looked very solid to me. I think the only downgrade from the Rad bikes is the rear derailleur is a Tourney model, a step or two lower than the one on the Rad. What also got me interested in it, besides having all the accessories included, the cushy old geezer seat, the step through frame, was talking to the almost giddy owner. He was probably about my age but just super excited. I asked him how it does on the hills, as I learned he rides it on the same bike paths I plan, but he said it just powers up the hills, no effort at all and that was a big sales point for me.
However, if you have any feedback on the RadMini I'd love to hear that as well.

VeeGo - I noticed a lot of similarities with the RAD bikes.
RADMini - I did a review on it in the RAD Power Bikes forum along with reviews for the Step-Thru and the Rover. Probably show up with a search of my name.
Those reviews and some of the threads from other members should provide lots of info to consider.

I completely agree with @Banzai on the support from Rad Power Bikes. My 2018 RadRover encountered some minor damage from shipping and they promptly reimbursed my credit card for the repair done by my LBS.

The RadRover is strictly my daily commuter to/from work for a daily total of about 15 miles and I've got almost 600 miles on it since mid-July. I have a couple of "slopes" on my route that the RadRover makes pedaling a breeze. My final ascent home is 1.2 miles that gradually increases to a 9% grade. I can tackle it in Pedal Assist level 4 (5 is max) and 1st gear (lowest), and if the headwind is really bad near the top I'll select level 5. I'm 5'10" and currently 212#, and I do have to pedal the entire ascent. It's a workout, but I never have to stand on the pedals and I'm not out of breath like I used to be on my non-ebike. To a bystander, I probably appear very nonchalant.

I have a Topeak trunk bag on the rear rack, which can make for a challenging leg swing. Since that sounds like it may be an issue for you, stick to panniers, backpack, or install a front rack if you need to carry anything on any non-step-thru bike. The RadRover is not a skinny lightweight by any means. It's a heavy bike and it wants a lot of floor space if you're going to store it indoors. Check the map on Rad's website to see if there are any options for you to see one up close and personal if you haven't done so already.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone with the RadMini just for the extra torque up the hills and the folding capability since I may lose my secure first floor biking spot at work. No regrets on choosing Rad Power Bikes though.

Thanks for the info Barry S, you guys really make a RadRover tempting, but I do believe I might have issues mounting and dismounting. I do have a trunk bag on my current non electric bike and it definitely is just too high to kick a leg over so I've taken to leaning the bike over and sort of stepping my foot over the top bar. Dismounting is the opposite so if you can picture that you probably have a good idea of how a heavier bike might really cause me issues :)
I am curious though about that RadMini having extra torque? I mean it does make sense that a smaller wheel, (20 vs 26) would have a mechanical advantage but Banzai pointed out on his RadMini review that the RadRover seemed to have more power? Maybe I read that wrong. I definitely understand the Rover handling better, not as "twitchy" but yes, the torque thing confuses me a bit. As far as I know, both bikes have the same 750 watt geared hub set up, identical battery. I do think the mini used to have a 500 watt but I'm not positive about that and I think Banzai has a 2018, so should be the same?
Anyhow, thanks so much!
BTW, somewhere I read from Banzai suggesting a 24"er, that sure sounds awesome! I wonder why not? I'll have to do a search and see if some companies make them, or if tires are even available.

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum though I have been researching and reading a lot of reviews about ebikes lately. I'm looking to get one for myself and am looking for some input from the forum members. At almost 60, I'm an older gent who is finding it increasingly difficult (though certainly not impossible), to swing my leg over my old bike. I'm also pretty heavy, though I've been loosing, I'm still around 240 lbs.
At first, I was really attracted to the Radmini, but after doing more research, and seeing Court's video on the Mexican beach ride, I'm thinking the RadRover might actually be a little better fit. Court mentioned that the bigger wheels probably did a bit better in the sand, though the 20"ers made it as well. Anyhow, the Radmini really doesn't have that great of an advantage at standing height, I think maybe 3". I've also seen quite a few videos of the RadRover on trails and what not and every single person who has it seems to love it.
How ever, the other day I was at the grocery and came across a VeeGo 750, it has very similar components, includes fenders and rack, (RadRover are add ons and out of stock), has a step through frame which is probably a plus for me and a better seat. It just seems to check all the boxes for me. It does though, have the smaller 20" wheels.
Most of my riding will probably be just the local bike trails - VERY HILLY, (I mean steep hills), so power is important to me. It's in fact so hilly sometimes I think a mid motor might be better, but I don't like the idea of the wear on the drive train. I also am really attracted to the fat tires because I plan or hope to do some beach riding - though realistically probably not more than 4 or 5 times a year. And, if I get adventurous I would also like to check out some mild trails, again the fat tires seem nice for this.
The VeeGo is currently going for $1699, if I preorder for November delivery and it really has about everything I want, not much to upgrade at all. The RadRover is also $1699 but doesn't include fenders or any sort of rack.
So what do you guys think? Would the slight advantage of bigger wheels (26 vs 20) offset my desire to have a step through? I'm definitely not getting any younger and notice the swinging leg over just getting worse.
If you're riding steep hills, a mid motor is a far better choice.

I am curious though about that RadMini having extra torque? I mean it does make sense that a smaller wheel, (20 vs 26) would have a mechanical advantage but Banzai pointed out on his RadMini review that the RadRover seemed to have more power? Maybe I read that wrong. I definitely understand the Rover handling better, not as "twitchy" but yes, the torque thing confuses me a bit. As far as I know, both bikes have the same 750 watt geared hub set up, identical battery.
I test rode both the 2018 RadMini and 2018 RadRover at the Seattle store last June and both bikes impressed me. The RadRover's size and build almost feels like a small motorcycle, and with the fat tires you need to learn about countersteering to fully enjoy turning the bike at higher speeds. The RadMini doesn't have that "beast" feel, but it's definitely a solid bike and I didn't feel any less secure riding on it. As for the torque, the Mini is a little lighter and those 20" tires make it a better climber.

Now, as @MisterM stated a mid-drive is a better choice for steep hills but you still need a strong motor. I test rode a Giant Explore E+ with the Yamaha mid-drive and it couldn't climb a parking garage ramp in the highest power setting and lowest gear without me standing in the pedals. Take a look at the Biktrix Stunner. It's a 750W Bafang mid-drive motor in both a step-over and step-thru frame.

Thanks for the feedback MisterM and Barry S. Yeah, the mid drive motors are definitely worth considering, but they do tend to be quite a bit more expensive from what I can see. Of course if a hub motor isn't going to get me up the hill, what's the point?
I did talk to the owner of that VeeGo I saw and he said it had plenty of power for him, and he lives in the same area as me, rides the same trails. He made it sound like it had plenty of power. Of course he was probably quite a bit lighter than me...
I like that Biktrix site Barry, though the stunner I think only has 5 speed internal hub shifting. Boy that Juggernaut looks like fun! haha. Very easy to get the price over 3 grand though .... Yeah, I imagine a 1,000 watt mid drive motor would probably be sufficient :)

Well, I settled on the RadMini. The VeeGo 750 seems pretty nice too, and actually I think you might get a bit more for the money, (fenders included, rear light is integrated) but the Rad seems to have more established resources and support network. Also, I just love the looks of the mini!
Placed an order for a black one, can't wait until it arrives!

Unless you're bike savvy, do yourself a favor and find a reputable LBS (local bike shop) that will give your RadMini a post-assembly inspection to check spoke tension, gear indexing, brakes, etc. For the most part, you're asking for a tune-up of a 7-gear bike. These are all standard bike components that are inspected and adjusted the same whether they're on a standard bike or ebike. If the shop doesn't appear interested, move on. One more thing, not sure if you have to attach the pedals on the RadMini or not, but if so pay attention to which pedal is marked "L" and "R". One of those pedals (R?) is threaded opposite of the norm. Pick up a tube of anti-seize grease and apply to the pedal threads as well to make it easier to remove if you ever have to. Yes, there are YouTube videos galore on all this, but at this stage of my life I've realized I don't have to go the DIY route on everything. Plus, I get to establish a relationship with my LBS, which can help when you have a really big problem. Enjoy your bike!

Thanks Barry S, good advice. I feel pretty confident about most things on the bike, with the exception of spokes. I mean I know how to tighten them but always fear that will bring my wheel out of tune, so I might take you up on that advice as I've read quite a few stories about loose spokes.

What percentage grades are your hills? Before you buy a bike, talk to someone about the percentage grade that you need to climb as combined with rider+bike weight to hear what they have to say about that. I weigh less than you do, but grades over 20% become more and more challenging. I can do up to a 28% grade, which I do encounter in my area, on the lowest gear with hard pedaling. Grades up to 15% are easy peasy. And, my 13 year old daughter has no trouble even with 28% grades with her light weight and small wheels.

Just mentioning this because ebike performance on hills will vary quite a bit depending on the grade percentage and rider weight. Because of that, before you buy any ebike, I'd recommend you go to your local bike store and do some test-rides on hills that are as steep as you are likely to encounter. Having that picture of what it is like in real-world conditions is critical, in my opinion.

Also, definitely get a step-through bike. :) And, there are a lot of bikes out there besides the two you mentioned, so, as I said, do get out there to your LBS and local ebike dealers and ride their bikes. It's well worth your time and trouble. :) (Forgive me if you live in an area with no ebikes at local stores, and if you mentioned that but I didn't notice!!)

Happy shopping!

Thanks Amy! Good advice, however I already picked and ordered the RadMini :) I'm pretty sure it's what I want, but the good thing is, I have kids! So ... if it doesn't work out for me it will still get plenty of use :)

Took my first ride today on the new RadMini and I'm all smiles :)
It came yesterday, got it all put together and battery charged last night. I got the seat position set up how I like it and threw on my old cheapo Trans It trunk bag and I was off. Only did about 15 miles but was really loving it!
I found I really enjoyed the peddle assist a lot more than I thought I would. Having ridden motorcycles most of my life I thought I'd enjoy the throttle more. I ended up using mostly L3, or 2 but for the bigger hills we have around here L4 and some throttle assist for the steepest parts worked pretty good. I imagine was maybe similar to what you were talking about Barry S, how you got a good workout but didn't have to stand on the peddles.
I am really happy though, I only did that route once on my regular street bike, several years ago and several pounds lighter and I still had to walk up the very last part of the biggest hill which didn't encourage me to want to ride it much anymore. But now, with the RadMini, woo hoo, I climbed all the hills today with no issues and still got a pretty good workout.
I'm very happy with the RadMini for sure and though it's not a step through I was able to manage getting my leg over the frame much more easily than with my regular street bike.
Thanks again for the advice guys and gals!! I feel confident I made a good decision and it's reassuring to know Rad Power has a good reputation for customer support should it be needed.

Congrats on your Rad Mini. Based on reading the threads you made a good choice. Rad has exceptional customer service and has always responded to my questions within 24 hours. I have a Rover model and it's a big bike. I'm 5'11" and to step over it is a chore sometimes. I think the Rad Mini was a a better frame size choice on what you had mention in prior post.

Back