Radrover Beast finally finished! After all summer...

@totalnovice I don't like them anywhere near as much as my Maxxis Hookworms (26 x 2.5). The Origin8 supercells are a street fatbike tire, but they don't have the grip, nor the cornering capacity of the sticky Hookworms. I notice that I lock the rear wheel up more with the hydraulic brakes now whereas I didn't with the other tires. Pluse the supercells are 29" inflated instead of 26" inflated like the other tires, so I have lost some torque. I'm in the middle of trying to get my 52V battery to balance this week so I will hopefully get some of my range back. I will try to give a more detailed report of the tires, wheels, fork, etc. (new stuff) once I've put some more miles on the bike.

@mrgold35 If I had to do it over again I would have forgone buying the Radrover and just bought a frame to build an ebike with.

Yeah, but you have to admit the Radrover is a pretty amazing price for a motor, 48v/11ah battery AND a bike. The BBSHD and battery alone are probably as expensive as the Radrover.

Are you glad you converted to mid-drive? What have you gained over stock? I ask because I just did a BBSHD conversion on a MTB, and I am looking at doing a fatbike cruiser ebike conversion, but these Radrovers are turnkey and inexpensive.

@eBikinator I agree. The 52V ll.6Ah battery was around $500 and the BBSHD was around $600, so I was about $400 under the Radrover's retail price. I'm assuming that RPB are getting the bikes built in China for under $1,000 per bike, but wholesale to retail is apples to oranges of course. I am very glad that I converted to mid-drive. There is a little learning curve since gear selection is important now, where as it wasn't before coming from only owing two rear hub ebikes in the past. But the BBSHD is putting out over 1700W on a full battery (52V not 48V) and I have easily added 10 mph to my stock top speed. I gained more acceleration and top speed over stock depending on which gear I am in. I lost some range unfortunately which surprised me. I was getting 25-30 miles per charge on stock Radrover and now am getting 15-20 miles on BBSHD Radrover. I still pedal on lowest power setting with occasional throttle inputs (despite what @opimax might tell you lol). :)

I was about to write about what I saw as far as pedaling but he covered it, lol. I am not a strong peddler either, just big batteries and time. Did 95 last wed and then 75 yesterday , each trip used 2 batteries, different speeds and different terrain. on the 95 miles trip i did 60 on 1 battery and came back the same way but faster and got 35 miles on the 2nd both depleted. It is about how much effort your motor makes, either your input or the terrain which give different speeds, the worst is trying to go fast up hill

Back