Radrover Beast finally finished! After all summer...

walawn

Hey guys. I know I've been MIA for a while. I just got my bike back last night after a prolonged stay at my LBS with fork and wheel issues. I took it in to install a direct bikes solid front fork and get some Origin8 Supercell tires mounted. Well, the tech got a little overzealous and cut the fork before attempting the install only to found out that it was the wrong taper. My LBS ordered another solid fork only to be unable to find a correct spacer to make the front brake mount work. So we sent that one back. I finally ordered the luna cycle suspension fork for fatbikes and it works great. It looks very similar to the OEM fork, but is better quality. During all that, the tech broke the front brake boss that holds the disc stationary to the wheel, so I ended up needing new wheels. I wasn't happy at first, but hindsight being 20/20, I was "glad" it happened to him during a test ride than me trying to dodge a car pulling out on me. Now I did install hydraulic brakes that work with the BBSHD motor cutoffs so that could be the reason it broke (i.e. switching from mechanical disc to hydrulic disc brakes which are more powerful) These were cheap wheels from a Mongoose Malus ($200 bike) that I had installed on the 60 lb. Radrover just to eliminate the rear hub motor. So we went with Origin8 Pro 801-UL wheels ($175 EACH) to get us back on track. Now I miss the grippy, low-profile nature of my old Hookworms. But I'm glad to finally get my main bicycle back to enjoy and keep in shape. I will give these new tires a chance before calling a judgement on them. They do have less traction than the old and it is noticeable. Now I switched everything from the Radrover (wheels, Hookworm tires, hub motor, controller, battery, LCD, and brakes) to the Mongoose Malus frame and it is for sale if there is any interested party out there. Please make a fair offer if you PM me. I included a couple of pics in this post so show you guys the new wheels, tires, and fork. You can also see the 52V battery, BBSHD, and hydraulic brakes I installed. Every body ride safe!

Attachments

• 1004161300_resized.jpg
    1004161300_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 984
  • 1004161300a_resized.jpg
    1004161300a_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,964
@mrgold35 The wheels are crazy light. I compared them with the stock ones before they were mounted. The new ones I can hold up with a pinky finger. Accelerates about the same, but these tires are 29" inflated just like the stock Kenda Juggernauts. My last set of tires were 26 x 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms (True 26 inches inflated). It had more acceleration with those and slightly less top speed. It rides fine with new fork and tires. I'm thinking that the range may be a little better with the taller tires, but we will see. It's all in how you ride it. Also, remember, I switched out the stock 750W geared hub motor for a 1700W middrive unit which is way more efficient. If I had to do it over again I would have forgone buying the Radrover and just bought a frame to build an ebike with. It should even out if I sell my silver ebike (which is essentially a Radrover at 1/3 the wieght of the original). If I can get $1000 bucks out of it it'll be like I bought a frame for $500 not counting all my TIME building the first and second ebike.

Hey guys. I know I've been MIA for a while. I just got my bike back last night after a prolonged stay at my LBS with fork and wheel issues. I took it in to install a direct bikes solid front fork and get some Origin8 Supercell tires mounted. Well, the tech got a little overzealous and cut the fork before attempting the install only to found out that it was the wrong taper. My LBS ordered another solid fork only to be unable to find a correct spacer to make the front brake mount work. So we sent that one back. I finally ordered the luna cycle suspension fork for fatbikes and it works great. It looks very similar to the OEM fork, but is better quality. During all that, the tech broke the front brake boss that holds the disc stationary to the wheel, so I ended up needing new wheels. I wasn't happy at first, but hindsight being 20/20, I was "glad" it happened to him during a test ride than me trying to dodge a car pulling out on me. Now I did install hydraulic brakes that work with the BBSHD motor cutoffs so that could be the reason it broke (i.e. switching from mechanical disc to hydrulic disc brakes which are more powerful) These were cheap wheels from a Mongoose Malus ($200 bike) that I had installed on the 60 lb. Radrover just to eliminate the rear hub motor. So we went with Origin8 Pro 801-UL wheels ($175 EACH) to get us back on track. Now I miss the grippy, low-profile nature of my old Hookworms. But I'm glad to finally get my main bicycle back to enjoy and keep in shape. I will give these new tires a chance before calling a judgement on them. They do have less traction than the old and it is noticeable. Now I switched everything from the Radrover (wheels, Hookworm tires, hub motor, controller, battery, LCD, and brakes) to the Mongoose Malus frame and it is for sale if there is any interested party out there. Please make a fair offer if you PM me. I included a couple of pics in this post so show you guys the new wheels, tires, and fork. You can also see the 52V battery, BBSHD, and hydraulic brakes I installed. Every body ride safe!
I'm quite impressed with that beast, formally known as Radrover! How nice to get the bike the way you want it, after lots of effort. I'd be tempted to get that bike from you, but alas, I already have a rad. I'm riding safe, same to you with that high powered mid-drive.

@dm nelson Haha. Thanks for the compliments. It may eventually be up for sale, but that wont be for a year or two. It seems I always need a project to work on. Coming from the motorcycle world, ebikes are a new thing for me, but I have a thirst for more and more power. So I may never be satisfied. Ride safe!

@mrgold35 Took it out for a ride last night with @opimax. Managed to get 20 miles of range out of the 52V 11.6 Ah battery before it was drained. The last four miles were not fun on a 60 lb. ebike up a few hills (especially since I'm out of shape lol). It seems that I have the figures from the original Radrover cemented in my brain (25-30 miles range on Eco pedal assisting with my 180 lb. self), but I doubt I'll get that kind of range out of something that is over twice the Wattage. I averaged maybe 500-1000 Watts most of the ride wiith it spiking to 1750 Watts up hills or with full throttle/no pedaling.

good looking mod very clean looking. Think of it as Radrover reborn or RadMod. or MadRod.

@mrgold35 Took it out for a ride last night with @opimax. Managed to get 20 miles of range out of the 52V 11.6 Ah battery before it was drained. The last four miles were not fun on a 60 lb. ebike up a few hills (especially since I'm out of shape lol). It seems that I have the figures from the original Radrover cemented in my brain (25-30 miles range on Eco pedal assisting with my 180 lb. self), but I doubt I'll get that kind of range out of something that is over twice the Wattage. I averaged maybe 500-1000 Watts most of the ride wiith it spiking to 1750 Watts up hills or with full throttle/no pedaling.
Sounds like great fun. Initially I was considering a diy job on my partner's old mtn bike but decided to get an already build ebikes for her, then me. But I'm encouraged that I can take my newer mtn bike and make a conversion similar to yours, someday. Have you considered the 52v battery with 13 or 14 amp capacity? I hear they're longer lasting. I'm wondering if they would work with the 750 hub motor.

@dm nelson I do want more range, but I'm limited by the amperage my motor's controller draws (30A).I don't want the cells getting too hot if I ran a long-range pack in my frame since that would shorten the life of the battery. The batteries with 13-14 Ah would work fine with the stock Radrover (16A draw) since Ah are just the capacity of the battery and don't change the voltage. A 52V battery fully charged would be around 58.8V and the Radrover's controller should handle 60V just fine. As a bonus, a 52V battery gives the stock Radrover a boost versus a 48V in both acceleration, top speed, and range.

Last edited:
I would think I would carry a 2nd and 3rd battery if I needed to get all the way home...sorry we went too far :)

@opimax No worries. Entirely my fault for not remembering my range with the new motor installed. I was probably a little throttle happy anyway since I just got it back :)

I ride for distance since i do not have strong on demand power, love to "explore" but need the batteries next time we will swap bikes, i would like to try yours. see how fast an old man can ride your bike :)

@woodsusa @opimax Haha. I've looked at that one before. It won't fit inside the Radrover triangle unfortunately. Besides, you can't go back to 48V once you've tired 52V. I guess that same could be said for 60V or 72V, but I don't want to go there. I've spent enough money this summer already lol!!!

@opimax Sorry I missed your heads up about last night's ride. I have the massive light you have on order from Amazon. It won't be here until the 17th though. I am charging my light and yours now as we speak. I did order a few goodies over the past few days. I have a phone mount that looks rugged as hell. No more zip tieing my phone to the handlebars to try to find your house lol. I think it'll do great. And I ordered a new bicycle seat that is as wide as a small table and looks like it's meant for a 500 lb. person. But my rear end feels great on it. I have some handlebar extenders arriving today. Gonna need either new bars or more space to mount stuff.

Last edited:
Back