RadRover 2018 brake noise

Rover1701

Recently got a 2018 RadRover (Fun Bike btw!) and noticed some rattling noises coming from, I assume, the disc brakes.

I notice this bell like rattle sound when putting the kick stand up or similar less pronounced sounds while moving at different speeds usually under PAS or throttle.
The noise seems to be coming from the brake discs and I can reproduce a similar sound by tapping the disc rotors with my finger.

I assume this is normal as the Seattle demo bike rotors seem to make similar sounds when I tap them.

I find this strange since I've not noticed this with other bikes with disc brakes before.
Maybe the size and design of the rotors on Rad bikes is the cause?

Any ideas?

I have no ideas on why it making the tinging bell sound? I have two 2016 Radrovers and a Radcity Step-Thru. I did the same tap test on all three bikes on the front and rear rotors. Only one (rear) rotor on my rover made a bell like tinging sound. I just changed the brakes to TRP Spykes a few months ago on both rovers and haven't double-check since.

I've never noticed the tinging/bell sound when riding. I will probably double check the brakes, check the rotor screws, and double-check the spokes in the next few days.

Checked for loose fasteners in the brake and rotors and did not find anything out of line; I did find a loose pedal that I tightened.
(Got my RadRover from the Seattle store and they did the assembly)

After another ride it seems like the noise is generated by the brake rotors resonating from the knobby tire vibration on payment around 15mph.
Same kind of noise I get when I flick my finger against the brake rotors.
When tapping on the rotors while stopped, the rattle disappears if I apply the brakes or if I remove the brake caliper however the rotors do still ring out.
Also, I verified that the brake pad springs are firmly holding the pads in the caliper.
Noise seems to be the rotors ringing and rattling against the brake pads.

Other than this subtle noise, everything else appears to be running normal.
I'm sensitive to un-explained mechanical noises and I check into their cause on new equipment as they are sometimes a symptom of a problem.

With less than 50 miles I guess I still need to let things break in.

Even the new shock absorbing seat post I put on yesterday needed a little grease to eliminate some creaking it developed a day later.

Thanks!

Thanks WilliamT!
I've used this on car disc brake pads before; guess it's been awhile since I've done a brake job due to owning a Prius with regenerative braking.

I have the same sound and noticed the chainring guard will make that Bell sound when tapped by a finger. I wonder if the chain vibrating from the knobby tires is tapping the chainring guard and causing it? Or perhaps the guard screws need occasional tightening?

Back