Radmini or Veego Fat Tire

tolivercrash

So glad I found this site. I have gathered a lot of helpful information in my search for my first electric bike from the forum and the detailed reviews. And now it’s time to ask the community for some opinions.

How I’m going to use it: commuting to work, 10 miles one way, Jacksonville, Florida, mostly flat, bike lanes and sidewalks, one or two short bridges depending on my route, also shopping and exercise, too.

Style: I’ve got my mind set on one of the 20” folding bikes with a step-through design (throwing a leg over a bike with a rear rack loaded with groceries does not work well, I’ve been there). Plus the small size just looks more fun. I like small, I drive a Fiat 500c and a Vespa 300 GTS.

About me: 5’7”, I’m already fairly physically active, I have a single speed road bike that I put a lot of miles on for exercise and mind clearing, but when I first saw an electric bike my first thought was “that just looks like fun”. Rapidly approaching 50 years old. I don’t see having an electric bike as cheating, I think it will actually get me out and biking even more than I already do.

As of right now my choices are down to two.

RadPowerBikes Radmini 2019 step-through
puncture resistant road style tires, enough power for me, lots of positive reviews
Dislikes: will have to buy racks and fenders

Veego Fat Tire (not the 750)
Dislikes: will have to swap out knobby tires for street tires, not many reviews

I’m leaning more towards the Radmini mainly because there’s not a lot of buzz on the Veego. These two are so similar (style, size, power) but whichever one I end up with, I will have to make some changes or additional purchases. The prices will end up being nearly the same so that’s not the factor.

Which one do I go with? Or are there other similar makes/models I should consider?

I just went through an almost identical process and narrowed it down to the same two bikes, except I would have had to add knobby tires and fenders for the Rad. After countless hours of research and paralysis by analysis, I drove over to St. Pete and rode the VeeGo Fat Tire folder. I was impressed enough that I put down a pre-order deposit. After loading my wife's 50 pound folder into our VW a few times unassisted, I began to question whether or not I even needed another folding bike, especially at 63 pounds. I will be 72 next month so how much longer can I realistically expect to be physically able to do that? I really did like the VeeGo Fat Tire, but decided to pay up a bit for the 750 and bought a rack with a ramp that made loading a breeze.

It is probably a 4 hour drive from Jax to St. Pete, but it might be worth your while to make a trip over there for a test ride. Ronda or Jason might even work something out exchanging the knobbies for street tires, but I do not know that. Being a Florida company and not being able to test ride the Rad was important to me. Good luck with your decision. You will probably be happy with either one.

I purchased two Veego Fat Tire bikes approximately one year ago. I have not had a single problem with either one. My wife and I went on a 20 mile ride this morning. Mine has about 900 miles on it and my wife's just over 300 miles. We typically ride around our small town on a Greenbelt, but we have also taken them to Hilton Head twice. I bought rode tires to put on mine, but I just haven't gotten around to putting them on so I am still using the original knobby tires.

I have the Veego Semi Fat. Wanted a bike to carry with my RV. Since I was planning on road, hard surface and gravel I figured the 3 inch
tires would be better. The bike can easily go 20 mph range with pedaling looks to be as good as 40 miles. I ride it 10 miles every morning. I’ve had a few minor issues but mostly from my fiddling with the bike. I like small bikes but honestly for commuting I would consider larger wheels. Small wheels give a bumpy, somewhat unstable ride; hence so many of them come with fat tires. You have a better choice of tires and tubes with full sized wheels. I do like riding the small folder quite a bit but I’d use a bigger bike for commuting.

I have the Veego Semi Fat. Wanted a bike to carry with my RV. Since I was planning on road, hard surface and gravel I figured the 3 inch
tires would be better. The bike can easily go 20 mph range with pedaling looks to be as good as 40 miles. I ride it 10 miles every morning. I’ve had a few minor issues but mostly from my fiddling with the bike. I like small bikes but honestly for commuting I would consider larger wheels. Small wheels give a bumpy, somewhat unstable ride; hence so many of them come with fat tires. You have a better choice of tires and tubes with full sized wheels. I do like riding the small folder quite a bit but I’d use a bigger bike for commuting.
I also carry my bike on the back of my travel trailer and I agree that for commuting only, I would probably have gone with bigger wheels. Having said that, on a 9 mile ride last week, I topped 30 mph on a downhill stretch and never felt unstable or unsafe. Interestingly, at the RV park where we are staying this week I have gotten more comments on the tires than on the bike itself. As usual, we have the only two e-bikes in the park.

I probably would have purchased the Veego Semi-Fat bike, but this model wasn't released until a few months after I purchased the Veego Fat Tire model. I also own several Dahon folding bikes (with 20" wheels). The Veego Fat Tire, due to the fat tires, has a much smoother ride than my Dahon bikes. If I were buying again I would stick with the 20" wheels - I just like the smaller frame as it is easier to haul around.

I had never heard of Veego, but I like how they put "True 750W" motor on their specs.

what the heck does that even mean, it just makes the wattage ratings of 'nominal and max' even more confusing.

So glad I found this site. I have gathered a lot of helpful information in my search for my first electric bike from the forum and the detailed reviews. And now it’s time to ask the community for some opinions.

How I’m going to use it: commuting to work, 10 miles one way, Jacksonville, Florida, mostly flat, bike lanes and sidewalks, one or two short bridges depending on my route, also shopping and exercise, too.

Style: I’ve got my mind set on one of the 20” folding bikes with a step-through design (throwing a leg over a bike with a rear rack loaded with groceries does not work well, I’ve been there). Plus the small size just looks more fun. I like small, I drive a Fiat 500c and a Vespa 300 GTS.

About me: 5’7”, I’m already fairly physically active, I have a single speed road bike that I put a lot of miles on for exercise and mind clearing, but when I first saw an electric bike my first thought was “that just looks like fun”. Rapidly approaching 50 years old. I don’t see having an electric bike as cheating, I think it will actually get me out and biking even more than I already do.

As of right now my choices are down to two.

RadPowerBikes Radmini 2019 step-through
puncture resistant road style tires, enough power for me, lots of positive reviews
Dislikes: will have to buy racks and fenders

Veego Fat Tire (not the 750)
Dislikes: will have to swap out knobby tires for street tires, not many reviews

I’m leaning more towards the Radmini mainly because there’s not a lot of buzz on the Veego. These two are so similar (style, size, power) but whichever one I end up with, I will have to make some changes or additional purchases. The prices will end up being nearly the same so that’s not the factor.

Which one do I go with? Or are there other similar makes/models I should consider?

Check out the Lectric...commuting here in Central Florida and loving the XP

Back