Radmini battery upgrade?

quazimootoo

I'm trying to find a suitable battery upgrade for my rad mini. I read somewhere the rad mini uses a silver fish 48v 11.6ah battery.

Does anybody know where I can find a more powerful battery? I'm having trouble finding silver fish batteries that are not on aliexpress. I haven't seen any silver fish batteries on luna cycles either.

Ideally I would want something with this kinda range: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) or (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) to get that increased range with 17.5ah.

If I were to get either the killer whale or jumbo shark battery pack (because silver fish is so hard to find), how would I go about fitting it onto my rad mini? Any tips?

Thanks

My guess would be since the form factor is limiting that would be the battery you are stuck with.

I'm pretty sure the Mini's controller could handle a 52v battery, which might allow you get some extra watt hours out of a similar form factor as the existing Mini battery. So that would be one approach. Another option option would be to get a smaller secondary battery to supplement the existing Mini battery and extend you range. Something like the 7ah mighty mini from Luna ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)). Unfortunately, you'd need to get a 52v charger for that as well. But that battery is quite small (3.3 pounds), and provided that you can figure out an easy way to hook it in when you need it, it wouldn't take up that much space. This guy puts the battery in an underseat bag.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/...3-lb-30q-luna-mighty-mini-cube-pack-reviewed/

JL

Meh, the 30q only, otherwise i wouldn't. But for $300 and shipping for 6ah? I have the PF version. Its handy. But I'd step up to a second full pack. UPP on Aliexpress.

14S4P NCR18650PF cells 52V 11.6Ah lithium ion battery

Price:$346 shipped

52V 14Ah 14S4P GA for $408

Any full pack is a better deal IMO.

Last edited:
If you want to take a chance. I think the overseas websites have the silverfish batteries in 15ah and 20ah sizes. I just don't know if they will fit in the same space on the Mini?

48v/15ah, $358: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sil...2761656083.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.16.bY5die

48v/20ah, $668: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shu...1423778171.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.26.EaFG6O

Rough battery math:
48v X 11.6ah = 556.8 watt hr / 25 watts per mile = 22.2 miles
48v X 15ah = 720 watt hr / 25 watts per mile = 28.8 miles
48v X 20ah = 960 watt hr / 25 watts per mile = 38.4 miles

52v X 14ah = 728 watt hr / 25 watt per mile = 29.12 miles (I think you can only use a 52v charger for this battery)

Meh, the 30q only, otherwise i wouldn't. But for $300 and shipping for 6ah? I have the PF version. Its handy. But I'd step up to a second full pack. UPP on Aliexpress.

14S4P NCR18650PF cells 52V 11.6Ah lithium ion battery

Price:$346 shipped

52V 14Ah 14S4P GA for $408

Any full pack is a better deal IMO.

If the only constraint was getting the most watt hours for the money, then you are undoubtedly right. Indeed, the cost benefit for the other Radpower bikes seems different to me, because they all seem to use a standard shark pack/bottle mount and they have more traditional frames where a triangle pack could hang. So there are more options to elegantly mount a larger pack. But the Rad Mini seems different, because a new bigger battery probably won't fit in the existing battery space. So if you don't want to attach it through some other means (e.g., on the rear rack, in a battery bag, etc), then you're not left with many options.

Given that situation, something like the mighty mini, could still be a reasonable solution for adding some range, even if it isn't the absolute cheapest solution. Given its light weight, it's not going to mess with the weight distribution of the bike in the same way that mounting a 12lb battery on the rear rack would. Just hang it in a wedge bag under the seat.

If you want to take a chance. I think the overseas websites have the silverfish batteries in 15ah and 20ah sizes. I just don't know if they will fit in the same space on the Mini?
I'd not "take a chance " with a random company. But scouting forums and asking for recommendations you'll find there are China resellers that are not a high risk. Or no more than some USA discounters that have 30 days warrantees. I've been using ne for 3 years now as well as a few fellow builders. All with excellent results. Some resellers will do the same as the China seller and ask customer to make repairs. I always order a backup BMS with a China pack. Last year I had a friends USA pack and my pack form China, and they were identical BMS. Indicating to me both came from the same builder.

I think the risk is minimal with the right vendor, and have had no failures personally ought of a dozen batteries between myself and friends. With two resellers. One is budget with less support, the other is stellar and with very robust builds for a higher price. The higher price gets better warranty and advanced build techniques.

A 52V battery (A highly trusted British expat in China calls it 50V) needs a charger capable of 58.8V, 48V battery needs a charger with a top end of 54.6V

But the Rad Mini seems different, because a new bigger battery probably won't fit in the existing battery space. So if you don't want to attach it through some other means (e.g., on the rear rack, in a battery bag, etc), then you're not left with many options.

Mr. Gold nailed it and they used a standard pack, from what I can see. BTW that's a very nice folder. Impressive little bike.
I especially like that they used an available battery case design. I think that case could be used for up to 48V 17.5ah with currently available cells. I think some builder call it a "Silver Fish".
I really appreciate builders that don't trap buyers into a special battery configuration. Very nice!

I sometimes take my wife's Radrover battery if I might be pushing my range on a weekend rides alone. I had to use the spare battery a few times the last few miles from home after a 27-32 mile ride. Lugging around 7 extra pounds to double my range in my rack bag or saving the 7 lbs and spending +$500 for 10%-20% greater range is what I'm considering. This is more of problem when my wife and I ride together and she (125lbs) can go so much further while I'm down 1-2 bars and have to pedal harder (I'm at 270lbs) on the same run trying to keep up with her (and not looking like I'm working that hard). I ended up even purchasing a 2nd charger for work because really windy days can zap my range home if I don't top off at work.

Best solution for me is to purchase and carry a spare battery. If I could just drop the 7lbs, it would be as if the battery isn't there.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find a suitable battery upgrade for my rad mini. I read somewhere the rad mini uses a silver fish 48v 11.6ah battery.

Does anybody know where I can find a more powerful battery? I'm having trouble finding silver fish batteries that are not on aliexpress. I haven't seen any silver fish batteries on luna cycles either.

Ideally I would want something with this kinda range: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) or (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) to get that increased range with 17.5ah.

If I were to get either the killer whale or jumbo shark battery pack (because silver fish is so hard to find), how would I go about fitting it onto my rad mini? Any tips?

Thanks
Did you get any of those Batteries to fit on the Mini?

There are good sources that can build the battery you want but they are China sources.

Back