RadCity vs Haibike Urban Plus?

surfstar

[edit/update - for conclusion, see this post]

Hi - looking for a first ebike for a non-sweaty 6mi each way commute. Couple easy/moderate hills, nothing steep really.

I was pretty set on the 2018 RadCity, after thinking the new design and upsized battery was worth the extra $200 vs the outgoing model - then I saw that the Haibike Urban Plus is being closed out at $1699 everywhere.

So, now I'm not so sure.

I would have a local dealer with the Haibike, which I would only utilize for any warranty issues - I haven't done much bike maintenance, but I DIY everything possible with my cars and avoid a dealership at all costs. Sorry for any LBS fans - I'm just "thrifty" that way.

So: part of my internal debate - which is likely to be more maintenance / trouble free over a few years? I did like that the RadCity is a direct drive hub, which should be longer lasting than a geared hub. I never thought I would be looking at a mid-drive in my price range ($1500 +/-), and then saw the Urban Plus new pricing. I'm indifferent on the COBI system. RadPower 2018 batteries are large, which to me equals a longer reserve lifespan. The Haibike might hold a better resale? In case I upgrade or change my mind in a year or two... Definitely each has their pros and cons, so hoping to get more input here; especially as the Urban Plus has pretty few reviews compared to Rad bikes (likely due to pricing, I imagine, and think this will change in a few months once people buy and ride more $1700 Haibikes)

Really just looking for a reliable commuter to keep me out of my car and not break a sweat going to work.

Been lurking for a few months - thanks in advance for any help / input!

Last edited:
Hi - looking for a first ebike for a non-sweaty 6mi each way commute. Couple easy/moderate hills, nothing steep really.

I was pretty set on the 2018 RadCity, after thinking the new design and upsized battery was worth the extra $200 vs the outgoing model - then I saw that the Haibike Urban Plus is being closed out at $1699 everywhere.

So, now I'm not so sure.

I would have a local dealer with the Haibike, which I would only utilize for any warranty issues - I haven't done much bike maintenance, but I DIY everything possible with my cars and avoid a dealership at all costs. Sorry for any LBS fans - I'm just "thrifty" that way.

So: part of my internal debate - which is likely to be more maintenance / trouble free over a few years? I did like that the RadCity is a direct drive hub, which should be longer lasting than a geared hub. I never thought I would be looking at a mid-drive in my price range ($1500 +/-), and then saw the Urban Plus new pricing. I'm indifferent on the COBI system. RadPower 2018 batteries are large, which to me equals a longer reserve lifespan. The Haibike might hold a better resale? In case I upgrade or change my mind in a year or two... Definitely each has their pros and cons, so hoping to get more input here; especially as the Urban Plus has pretty few reviews compared to Rad bikes (likely due to pricing, I imagine, and think this will change in a few months once people buy and ride more $1700 Haibikes)

Really just looking for a reliable commuter to keep me out of my car and not break a sweat going to work.

At $1699, Haibike Urban PLus is miles ahead of any Rad bike. Don't even think twice.

At $1699, Haibike Urban PLus is miles ahead of any Rad bike. Don't even think twice.

Even though the Haibike lacks some things like: suspension - yet larger tires. Would 27.5" vs 26" help make up some of the softening of a front suspension fork? No throttle or brake-motor cutoff that I can find mentioned, either. Just wondering how I would downshift when approaching a stop if the Haibike doesn't cut power with braking?

...but if it is that much better of a bike, I have the potential to be swayed.
I did like that a Rad bike could power me home if a chain breaks, and the DD hub should keep less stress on the chain and derailer, right?
The Haibike is walking with a broken chain and it may wear out quicker?
Haibike has 2 yr warranty, 5 yr frame - Rad is only 1 yr.

First e-bike purchase, so I definitely am researching a ton and always prefer a lower price point to insulate me against making an expensive bad choice.

Haibike Urban PLus is a great looking bike, however, I am seeing all kinds of issues with the COBI system which makes me believe that it may not be worth all of the hassles associated with ownership. Did they get most of the bugs out of the system?

Haibike Urban PLus is a great looking bike, however, I am seeing all kinds of issues with the COBI system which makes me believe that it may not be worth all of the hassles associated with ownership. Did they get most of the bugs out of the system?

The bike has much better components than the RAD. That is keeping the COBI aside. COBI has been bought by Bosch and I don't anticipate big changes to this bike because this has a different motor.
At $1600, it comes with 2 yr warranty and much better components than the RAD. Most importantly, it has a torque sensor. So, It's a no brainer.

The bike has much better components than the RAD. That is keeping the COBI aside. COBI has been bought by Bosch and I don't anticipate big changes to this bike because this has a different motor.
At $1600, it comes with 2 yr warranty and much better components than the RAD. Most importantly, it has a torque sensor. So, It's a no brainer.
Thanks Ravi- Have you used the COBI system on this bike and was it operating to your satisfaction? Just curious. I agree, I like the bike design and build quality..

Last edited:
Thanks Ravi- Have you used the COBI system on this bike and was is operating to your satisfaction? Just curious. I agree, I like the bike design and build quality..

Have you seen the bike in person to assess the build quality?

YMMV, but I ran a Cobi system on my Bosch powered Haibike for about 5 months. The road vibration made the Cobi mount crack off the Intuvia interface. If the integration with the Urban plus is more solid it might be better than the aftermarket add on units.

Juiced CrossCurrent S and Voltbike Yukon Limited are also contenders for my price range, but I think I was going with the RadCity for the lower price over those. Now the Haibike is throwing off my decision!

If you are doing a lot of stop and go in traffic, the hand throttle on the Rad is a great help. Go to the Rad forum lots of bikes have up to 4000 miles.

Disclaimer: I own a Rad mini.

After another night of reading, I think I'm leaning towards the RadCity for its potential long term durability and the fact that the few reviews/info on the Urban Plus mention issues with the COBI system and [older] issues with the transX motor (2016s mainly?). Either way, not too confidence inspiring.
I do prefer the integrated battery look of the Haibike, and the upgraded components, but for a commuter the RadCity will likely suit me better. Just gearhead / vanity that says the $3600 MSRP bike must be twice as good ;) it does look quite sporty, that's for sure. Nicer, bigger tires too.

Now does anyone have a RAD referral? Might pull the trigger soon...

I'm with Ravi, no comparison between a Haibike and Rad. With the Haibike you get torque sensing and shift detection with the Bosch. Super quick response on the PAS as well. Huge difference between hydraulic and mechanical brakes. Also higher end components on the shifter. I love the estimated range feature provided by the Bosch computer. My first ebike was a hub motor, then bought a Haibike Full Seven S RX and a few months latter bought a Haibike Trekking S RX. Both are 2016s and have over 1,400 miles on each. Just no comparison to the component quality and smooth powered ride. I've never ridden a RadPower bike, but the Chinese motor and mechanical brakes can't be much different than the Chinese bike I rode before.

After another night of reading, I think I'm leaning towards the RadCity for its potential long term durability and the fact that the few reviews/info on the Urban Plus mention issues with the COBI system and [older] issues with the transX motor (2016s mainly?). Either way, not too confidence inspiring.
I do prefer the integrated battery look of the Haibike, and the upgraded components, but for a commuter the RadCity will likely suit me better. Just gearhead / vanity that says the $3600 MSRP bike must be twice as good ;) it does look quite sporty, that's for sure. Nicer, bigger tires too.

Now does anyone have a RAD referral? Might pull the trigger soon...

Surfstar-I concur with your decision to go with the RAD. I myself would not like to get stuck in the middle of all the COBI issues associated with this particular Haibike. I agree with others that it has great components, and perhaps other bikes that use COBI system may work flawlessly.
ie: The IZIP E3 Protour looks like a nice system using COBI. Looks like it may need more debugging before it becomes a more popular interface IMHO. Not sure if Haibike was able to resolve the issue and report the root cause of the system failures to current owners.
Good luck with your new purchase.

Last edited:

So, now I'm not so sure.

Help , I'm looking at rad mini , we have many trails which assist and fat tires would come in handy , but my main concern is I travel by bike every day year round in at times harsh weather , I don't want to use the assist other than for hilly terrain , how does the bike handle without assist , any advice would help

It won't be the most fun to ride without assist. It is a 63.7 pound bike on 20" tires. The geared motor doesn't add much resistance so that is okay. But maybe add about 30 to 35 pounds to your existing bike and see how you like it. Personally, I don't like the geometry of the folding bikes. That long steerer tube with short straight handlebars and trail riding just don't go together for me.

I think I'm leaning towards the RadCity for its potential long term durability

If you are a complete newbie, any E-bike will thrill you tremendously for the first 4-6 months. If you are intending to do more than few thousand miles a year, then investing on a good bike is important.

After the first 6 months of owning any cadence sensor E-bike, go and test out something that has a good torque sensor, you will immediately notice the difference. Ride quality on the RAD will never be as pleasant as any bike with a torque sensor.

RAD does good online marketing but there is nothing innovative in the product line. it will def serve you well if the goal is to use a bike to get pt B from pt A.

I test road the Urban Plus last summer. Was $3200 back then which was out of my price range, but I wanted to see what it road like and I just thought it looked really cool. For me, anyway, I found the ride too stiff. Roads are bumpy in West Los Angeles. I ended up getting a Juiced Crosscurrent S with 17.4 battery for 2K. Ok front suspension (also bought a Suntour suspension seatpost - absolute must!), but it's better than none and the motor is more powerful than the Trans X without question. Has torque sensing. throttle (great in the city) and nearly everything you'd want at an excellent price. Granted, the components aren't as nice as the Urban Plus, so that's the big tradeoff along with the mid-drive motor which has advantages. The biggest downside of the Crosscurrent was the wait. Took a month and a half to arrive, but I still love the bike, four months and around 500 or so miles later, with no issues so far. At that price I'd be tempted by the Haibike too. The thing that would concern me is the trans x motor if ever needed replacing and they weren't around, and the cobi system. Just seems wonky. Best of luck on your search!

Bear with me for a lengthy post:

Just got back from my mtb commute - only the second time I’ve ridden to my new job. Used Google Fit for some tracking info. (side note, I think I would put 1500-2500 mi/yr on the bike)

Route: It’s only 5.1 mi, and my ride home has a steady incline of maybe 250’ gain over 2 miles, then mostly flat. I averaged 10mph roughly. My morning commute is of course the opposite, and averages a little faster with the downhill and less traffic. The uphill section usually has the most stops and starts, also.

stop/go factor: on my afternoon commute, since I stick to the main street with a nice bike lane, it has lots of stop lights and if you hit everyone, I can currently keep up with cars. An ebike may let me branch out to other faster streets with no dedicated bike lane, but I would be flowing with traffic, so I could up my speed and still be safe, I imagine. Either way, there is enough stop and go and I only hit a top speed of 16mph currently, so I see no need to rule out 20mph limited bikes now. Realizing that I may have a more stop and go pattern than many users with dedicated bike paths, I am now wondering if a geared hub motor would offer the best performance? Additionally, I do think I would like a throttle…
...which leads me to realizing that I need to at least ride a mid-motor torque pedalec and throttle/hub for test rides, even if they are not the exact models I may be looking at. They do at least have the Haibike locally. Hopefully that will help me determine if I have a preference for either speed sensor and/or throttle.

So, of course, more models keep popping up: Surface 604 Colt - will that be the best options/compromise for me? Is it worth ~$350 more than a RadCity? I can only imagine how the 2019 models may offer even more features for the same $. Which then makes me thing, go cheap, sell and upgrade later on... lol

Just thinking out loud, but also voicing my process as the additional info may give you guys help in any recommendations…

Back