Radcity 2019 - Rear wheel removal issues

Dilborg

Was able to follow the manuals, videos and forum topics enough to know how to get started.

New bike, just finished putting it together.

Reasons I'm removing the rear wheel
- to adjust the over-tightened rear disc brakes
- because everyone who owns one of these says its a good idea to crack the nuts well before you have to change a tire on a roadside.
- wanted to install some anti-theft rear wheel nuts (second thoughts on this now)

The Radcity has different derailer cover than the Radpower, but the same rear wheel torque arm.

Herein lays my problem :

The bolt holding the torque arm was stripped and reemed into its spot.

I managed to remove it using a pipe wrench and elbow grease - but needless to say I dont want to put it back it and neither do I want to ride without it.

Is there a similar bolt I could remove elsewhere to temporarily replace it ?

Found it!

These two bolts are the same.

I'll just roll with a loose fender until I get a hold of Rad Support.

Attachments

• 2019-06-30 18.21.47.jpg
    2019-06-30 18.21.47.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 591
Havent gotten to that side yet. The drive side axle nut was torqued on so tight, needed a breaker bar to get it to budge. Whoever did this (factory?) Also mashed the washer and caused it to embed itself into the threads. It won't move. The squared off inside of the washer (not your typical round washer) that fits to the edged axle, has become a locknut of sorts with no edges to grab on the outside. It's a royal mess. No changing this flat for a while. Until someone can figure out how to get this washer embedded from the threads.

Was able to follow the manuals, videos and forum topics enough to know how to get started.

New bike, just finished putting it together.

Reasons I'm removing the rear wheel
- to adjust the over-tightened rear disc brakes
- because everyone who owns one of these says its a good idea to crack the nuts well before you have to change a tire on a roadside.
- wanted to install some anti-theft rear wheel nuts (second thoughts on this now)

The Radcity has different derailer cover than the Radpower, but the same rear wheel torque arm.

Herein lays my problem :

The bolt holding the torque arm was stripped and reemed into its spot.

I managed to remove it using a pipe wrench and elbow grease - but needless to say I dont want to put it back it and neither do I want to ride without it.

Is there a similar bolt I could remove elsewhere to temporarily replace it ?

Oh my...and I thought it was just me - did the same thing to my Mini while attempting to install the rear fender - fenders are a separate purchase for the mini - so there I was removing/loosening the bolts holding the tire on then I notice the torque arm as the tire wouldn't come off. I grabbed the proper allen wrench and went to loosen and immediately turned and stripped it.

Million dollar question - how did you get the pipe wrench on it to remove...I have been scratching my head as to how to remove...I have seen some vids on drilling inside with a size smaller than the torx bit that will be used to loosen. Makes sense but wasn't sure I would try it - hence debating to take to the LBS.

I am waiting on a replacement derailer hanger from Rad as it was slightly bent during shipping. Gears work but missing a gear or so. Any ways, after stripping I am gun shy about replacing the hanger.

Thanks for sharing.

Its a rounded head bolt with a washer.

So I used a small square file to square up the head and allow the pipe wrench to square up flush.

Use a small pipe wrench, ensure the teeth have grip. Once I got the nut turned a bit, I used the absolute smallest amount of penetrating oil.

Let it sit 30min, rest of the way was easier just making sure I didn't snap the head off.

Good news for me, Rad support have my replacement on its way.

Back