RadCity 16 or 20?

jldub

Okay, I'm getting serious about ordering a couple of bikes. The RadRover for me and probably the RadCity for the wife. I'm not sure of which size to get for her, the 16 or the 20. She's about 5'7" tall and that calls for the 16 on the website. However, I may end up using the bike once in a while and I'm 6'0" which calls for the 20. Is there that much of a difference? Would she be okay on the 20? Neither one of us have ridden bikes for years and we're hoping the electric bikes will help get us back into riding again but I don't want to end up with a bike she won't use.

It looks like the seat tube and stand over height is about 2.5-4 inches lower on the 16" Radcity. You might have to purchase an extra long seatpost for the wife's bike to raise up when you want to ride. Also depends if your spouse has normal proportions or not (long legs with short torso, short legs with long torso, etc...). You might have to measure her inseam to see if it at +30.5" for the 16" bike or +33.25" for the 20" bike.

I wish the Radrover came in different sizes because my 4'11" wife can barely fit her bike. It is great for me because I trade off and ride each bike equally for my 50 mile a week commute to keep the mileage (and wear/tear) about even. I just raise the seat and hit the road.

It looks like the seat tube and stand over height is about 2.5-4 inches lower on the 16" Radcity. You might have to purchase an extra long seatpost for the wife's bike to raise up when you want to ride. Also depends if your spouse has normal proportions or not (long legs with short torso, short legs with long torso, etc...). You might have to measure her inseam to see if it at +30.5" for the 16" bike or +33.25" for the 20" bike.

I wish the Radrover came in different sizes because my 4'11" wife can barely fit her bike. It is great for me because I trade off and ride each bike equally for my 50 mile a week commute to keep the mileage (and wear/tear) about even. I just raise the seat and hit the road.

Mr. Gold, did you consider the Mini for your wife before the Rover ? Just wondering. I'm 5' 7" ,28" inseam. Thanks !

Mr. Gold, did you consider the Mini for your wife before the Rover ? Just wondering. I'm 5' 7" ,28" inseam. Thanks !

She didn't like the looks of the Mini compared to the Radrover. She is A-OK on the Radrover when riding. We also updated the seat to a longer/wider Sunlite Cloud-9; which, increased the standover height. She has to do the lean to one side with the other foot on the opposite side pedal at a stop. It was a shot in the dark hoping the one size fits all Radrover would fit my 4'11" wife and my 6'3" frame.

This was our first step into the ebike world. We will most likely upgrade in a few years once we figure out what we like, dislike, and supports our riding style. Getting the capabilities of the Radrover (or any Rad bike) in this price range, features, power, and 1 yr warranty was perfect for us to dip our toes into the ebike world at a extremely affordable price.

Yes , I started with a used Ezip Trailz a couple of years ago and sold it this spring. Could not decide which route to take so I finely put a BBSHD from Luna Cycle on my Giant Yukon. I can see why people have multiple e-bikes, they are rather addicting. Now I'm looking at a fat bike and have been comparing the Rad Mini and the new Mariner from Voltbike . Sadly, here in Indiana our riding season is coming to a close so I will wait until late winter to do anything now. My wife would like an e-trike so that might be the priority. LOL Happy Riding !!!!!!!!!!

Yes , I started with a used Ezip Trailz a couple of years ago and sold it this spring. Could not decide which route to take so I finely put a BBSHD from Luna Cycle on my Giant Yukon. I can see why people have multiple e-bikes, they are rather addicting. Now I'm looking at a fat bike and have been comparing the Rad Mini and the new Mariner from Voltbike . Sadly, here in Indiana our riding season is coming to a close so I will wait until late winter to do anything now. My wife would like an e-trike so that might be the priority. LOL Happy Riding !!!!!!!!!!
Riding that bbshd giant on trails & single track? I'm thinking of adding that motor to my mtn bike for some fun trail rides. For now, the radrover is great fun with its fat tires on the roads & packed trails :)

Okay, I'm getting serious about ordering a couple of bikes. The RadRover for me and probably the RadCity for the wife. I'm not sure of which size to get for her, the 16 or the 20. She's about 5'7" tall and that calls for the 16 on the website. However, I may end up using the bike once in a while and I'm 6'0" which calls for the 20. Is there that much of a difference? Would she be okay on the 20? Neither one of us have ridden bikes for years and we're hoping the electric bikes will help get us back into riding again but I don't want to end up with a bike she won't use.
I'm 5'8" and certainly would prefer the 16" frame myself. My partner and I both have radrovers. She's about 6 foot. We got a raised handlebar and it fits her a little better. Have fun pedal assisted rides :)

The 16'' would be the best fit for your wife @jldub and you should still be able to comfortably enjoy the 16'' as your non-primary ebike. She would not likely be able to stand-over the 20'' bike so I don't think you will want to go this route. I am 6'1'' and have spent fair amount of time on both the 16'' and 20'' RadCity prototypes. The 16'' is smaller and sportier feeling and I could comfortably commute on it year round, but the 20'' fits me like a glove so it is what I have been riding to and from the office. Since everyone is different (for example I have abnormally long legs for my height) I can't say for sure, but hope this info helps in a general sense!

Riding that bbshd giant on trails & single track? I'm thinking of adding that motor to my mtn bike for some fun trail rides. For now, the radrover is great fun with its fat tires on the roads & packed trails :)

I have put mostly road miles so far with just a small stretch of a wide trail. I think if I get on a tight single track I might have to drop down on the front ring to slow this beast down. lol I'm 64 and don't want to be banging off and into trees at 10-12 mph.

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide on the 16 or 20! I'm 6'2", 230lbs and at 67 years old have lousy knees and I'm currently loving my Rad Mini which I got last week!

The new Rad City bike shipment ju just came in and I'm inclined to go with the 16" for easier step over and give that I'm going to add Thudbuster's to both, feel this would make the best choice but am new to biking.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Talking to the sales folks at Rad they say there's only a 1 inch difference in step thru height and they think I should go with the 20" but I find myself leaning towards the 16. Being such a newbie I don't know if I'm just being a dumdum on this issue but would welcome any perspectives given my crappy knees...

Last edited:
Back