Rad Rover side-lined by motor issue

totalnovice

While riding the RR last weekend, the motor suddenly started operating very noisily, and the power/torq dropped way off ... had to limp back on old-fashioned pedal power alone. Good thing I was only a mile or so away from my residence because the bike rides like a turd without power. The RR only has 100 miles on the odometer.

During back & forth w/ RPB support, they suggested adding oil to the motor. OK, so I removed the oil fill screw (which I discovered was already loose, barely finger tight), but before adding any oil I first rotated wheel so oil fill hole was on bottom and waited a few minutes to see if any oil came out … nothing, not a single drop. I don't know anything about e-bike motors, but that didn't seem right to me.

After that, rotated wheel so oil fill hole was on top, and emptied the oil bottle that comes with the bike into the motor. Replaced and tightened the screws (there are 2, 180 deg apart), spun the wheel by hand for a couple minutes, then turned on the bike and ran the motor … no difference, same loud noises and very low power. IMHO, the damage has already been done.

There is no oil on garage floor where I park the bike, and no evidence of oil being slung out while riding. Makes me wonder if there was ever any oil in the motor.

Informed RPB of the results of this trouble-shooting, and suggested that I thought I needed a new wheel & motor ... ball is back in their court.

Hopefully they will take care of you. Keep us posted. My 2016 came with a sealed Bafang 750W geared hub motor. No oil to add. Maybe they will upgrade you to that unit if you're lucky!

While riding the RR last weekend, the motor suddenly started operating very noisily, and the power/torq dropped way off ... had to limp back on old-fashioned pedal power alone. Good thing I was only a mile or so away from my residence because the bike rides like a turd without power. The RR only has 100 miles on the odometer.

During back & forth w/ RPB support, they suggested adding oil to the motor. OK, so I removed the oil fill screw (which I discovered was already loose, barely finger tight), but before adding any oil I first rotated wheel so oil fill hole was on bottom and waited a few minutes to see if any oil came out … nothing, not a single drop. I don't know anything about e-bike motors, but that didn't seem right to me.

After that, rotated wheel so oil fill hole was on top, and emptied the oil bottle that comes with the bike into the motor. Replaced and tightened the screws (there are 2, 180 deg apart), spun the wheel by hand for a couple minutes, then turned on the bike and ran the motor … no difference, same loud noises and very low power. IMHO, the damage has already been done.

There is no oil on garage floor where I park the bike, and no evidence of oil being slung out while riding. Makes me wonder if there was ever any oil in the motor.

Informed RPB of the results of this trouble-shooting, and suggested that I thought I needed a new wheel & motor ... ball is back in their court.
What ever came of this Motor issue? I am having noise issues (with no loss of power...yet) and they replied ...gear noise is normal. It is on record and time will tell. Also, wife has one too, no Motor noise?!

@Mark in CA The motor differs from 2015 -2016. The 2016 has a sealed, geared Bafang 750W unit. The 2015 has an unsealed hub motor from Hangtai. Maybe this is your difference?

Last edited:
I hate to complicate the issues but there is an exception. The last batch of RR's of the 2015 model ( I have one) do have the 2016 Bafang 750 motor.

This is a 1st generation RadRover (i.e. aquired thru Indiegogo campaign). Think I was in batch 4 or 5, I don't remember anymore. And I think this version/model RR uses a Hangtai motor (at least that's what Court calls it in his RR review).

RPB support is supposedly sending me a replacement rear wheel assy w/ motor. I was waiting until I actually had something to show & tell before I posted an update.

@totalnovice Hopefully they will send you the Bafang RM G06.750.DC motor like on my 2016 RR because it is one hell of a motor. Torquey and fast! I can blast up hills doing almost 20 and clost to 25 on the flats.

Update: finally received replacement wheel/motor assy from RPB support on Wed. Installed it on bike after work on Thur, and did quick ride up & down street. Everything appears to be working, and hopefully I'll be able to log some miles over the weekend. If anyones interested, I noted differences below and took a couple side-by-side photos

1. New wheel has a Bafang motor, versus Hangtai
2. Harness on new motor is on the gear side of rear axle, versus the brake side
3. New rim is has beveled edges & no decals, versus square edges & Champion decals
4. New wheel uses a DNP 7-gear freewheel, versus Shimano
5. Kenda tire on new wheel is 30 TPI, versus 60

Gotta give a shout-out to RPB support for coming thru. The process was a little clumsy, and took longer than expected ... but end result is I have a new motor.

RR_new_wheel1 - small.JPG RR_new_wheel2 - small.JPG

Back