rad rover pedal assist stopped working. any tips?

Metalusion

on my ride to work this morning the pedal assist suddenly gave out but the throttle still works. no error codes.

the controller looked like there was a spot of moisture at the top of the unit. don't know where that came from, i just wiped it off.

was changing gears to climb hill when this happened. could it be the chain? how to check?

not really sure what to look for. any help appreciated.

was changing gears to climb hill when this happened. could it be the chain? how to check?

not really sure what to look for. any help appreciated.

Has your chain fallen off? If so it may have contacted the PAS sensor under the bottom bracket. That is where I would start looking. Make sure the sensor is aligned, that the wire is intact, that the is no gunk or moisture on the sensor, and that the magnetic crank wheel is properly attached.

Cheers

how would i know if the alignment is correct? i pedaled (without power) the rest of the way and the chain was working. i'll poke around but dont really even know what the sensor looks like.

found this video on installing a sensor. would i be correct assuming the Radrover is put together this way?

so maybe the wire to the sensor got loose?

if it is installed into the crankset like that, hard to imagine what could go wrong with it.

ok, i took a look down there and no loose wires. i wiped down the magnet area. still no response from the pedal sensor. everything else looks normal. any ideas?

chain looks normal, shifting, everything seems like it should except for pedal assist.

Last edited:
sorry i am no help

i had my controller box open the other day and it is pretty easy, maybe you could open that and see if the wires got disconnected or pinched in there somehow

please keep us up to date on what solves the problem

ok the next step is to open up the controller box and see if anything is amiss.
Can you cycle through the PAS levels 1-5 on the screen? There is a red light on the PAS sensor that lights up when the system is on, is that lit? If not then it may be a loose wire. The other thing you might try is to remove the battery from the cradle, with the battery off the bike try to turn on the system, this should drain the capacitor in the controller and hopefully allow the system to reset. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and turn the system on.

Can you cycle through the PAS levels 1-5 on the screen? There is a red light on the PAS sensor that lights up when the system is on, is that lit? If not then it may be a loose wire. The other thing you might try is to remove the battery from the cradle, with the battery off the bike try to turn on the system, this should drain the capacitor in the controller and hopefully allow the system to reset. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and turn the system on.
i can cycle through the pas levels but i don't know where the red light is that you are referring to. is this on the display? i'll do the other thing you mentioned about powering on without the battery too.

thanks

i can cycle through the pas levels but i don't know where the red light is that you are referring to. is this on the display? i'll do the other thing you mentioned about powering on without the battery too.

thanks
The red led is under the bikes bottom bracket/crank on the PAS sensor. Look under from the left side of the bike and when the system is on it should be lit. If not, loose wire or bad sensor. My BBSHD also has a sensor LED for speed but I had forgotten about the RR's because it is under the bike and not usually visible. Good luck!

Just wondering if you resolved your pedal assist problem. I am experiencing the same thing. This has happened to me before and they sent me a new sensor which last for about 3 blocks before it went out again.

i haven't had time to check it. probably on the weekend. i hope to hear back from the Radpower bikes guys. emailed them. that's good to know about your situation. sorry it broke on you so soon.

Brian Olson and Metalusion, just wondering what model year your bikes are?

@Metalusion I also have an original version bike and had the PAS go out much earlier, as in 2-3 months after purchase. It was the PAS sensor that went out. The red light on it ceased to light up. I never fooled around with any wires or anything to try to fix it. I got in contact with Radrover and they sent me over a new one. I think it was just a faulty sensor. A couple hundred miles later, my PAS sensor is still working. Yours should still be under warranty, so it should be a quick and simple fix.

@Brian Olson, sounds like you've been getting some faulty sensors... Hopefully third time is the charm!

My 2019 RadRover PAS Magnetic Ring came loose somehow. I had just installed the rear fender and Rear Rack. On the test drive my PAS was set to 1 and as I started to peddle the power increased dramatically. As soon as I stopped peddling the power assist stopped and when I started peddling full power assist started again. I thought that maybe I caused the malfunction while working on the Rover. I called the Rad Power Bikes support # and talked with Taylor who quickly assessed the problem as a loose PAS Magnetic Ring. He advised to push the Ring back in. After pushing it back in I did not feel a "snap" or "click" but the problem was resolved. Taylor said he would send a replacement PAS Magnetic Ring which he said should be a tighter fit. It doens't feel tight and I'm nervous that it will come free again but I'm riding until that happens.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Attachments

• PAS Mag Ring.jpg
    PAS Mag Ring.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,958
Just wanted to add that after reviewing this thread I was able to resolve the same issue with my 2016 radrover by carefully pushing the magnetic ring back towards the sensor.

Somehow overtime my ring had moved away from the sensor and caused the exact issue mentioned.

So for anyone ending up here - give that a check first!

rainy Sunday so I took the chance to do my upgrades to the 35A controller and the new kc lcd 8 on my radrhino 5 , Ive bought the true 750w motor too and it works like a champ I can play around 😜 the performances are a blast , the only down side I lost my PAS and The bike works Only on throttle so pls what can I do , thx a lot guys feel free to hit me up with what ever question you may have , if it can help me understanding the all Ebike picture I would really appreciate... Greetins from France
512A79CF-BD63-407B-9DF4-61254E70218B.jpeg

The issue may be with you C1=3 setting. I don't think it's legitimate. Try C1=1 or maybe C1=5. Which one works will depend on which side of the crank the PAS sensor is mounted on.

Holler with your results!

Thanks a lot for the answer I ll try right now I hope it ll work and I ll get back to you

here is the updates but Unfortunately it doesn’t work with the C1 settings set at C1= 1 neither C1=5 I tried both , the bike is just 3 months old and the controller is brand new

Does Bolton give you a set of suggested initial settings that he recommends?
Have you tried doing a "reset" (C10=Y)?

Last, and you might try this first, there's a tiny red LED power indicator on a lot of the PAS sensors that indicate they are getting power. You might want to have a look to confirm it's getting power/is plugged in correctly. If so, and the light is on, the issue nearly has to be one of the parameters is set incorrectly.

Back