Rad Rover 6 or Aventon level

Taffy boy

Region
USA
Just purchased the Aventon level. Within two weeks I had to take it into have the derailleur adjusted. Now it seems that one of the terminals for battery is burnt and have no power. Thinking about returning it and buying the Rad 6. I’m new to electric bikes so would love some feedback

thanks

I have an Aventon Level, and a DIY mid drive Fat Bike. I love fat tires. Softer and safer ride. They have a higher rolling resistance, and therefore use a bit more energy (human or electric), but once you ride a fat electric for a few days, I think you will love it. My Aventon Level is more like a sports car compared to my Fat Bike, which is more like an off-road 4X4 vehicle. My wife has an Aventon Level too, and I'm going to sell one of our two Levels and get her a Fat Bike, as I judge it to be more safe when transitioning to different road/trail surfaces.

Just purchased the Aventon level. Within two weeks I had to take it into have the derailleur adjusted. Now it seems that one of the terminals for battery is burnt and have no power. Thinking about returning it and buying the Rad 6. I’m new to electric bikes so would love some feedback

thanks
Please know the need for a derailleur adjustment does not reflect badly on the bike or bike manf.

It's more the kind of thing that should be checked/adjusted as necessary when the bike was initially prepped for use. That would be the prep YOU were responsible for, unless you had a local shop set the bike up for you initially. At that point, it was them that was responsible. Every nut and bolt on that bike should be gone over when new. You, the buyer, are responsible for the final inspection and testing of a new bike.

As far as the battery connection, was the bike ever ridden with the battery not snapped in completely maybe? Whatever, if it is the battery connection that's not allowing the bike to power up, it's not something that requires anything special to clean up.

Please know I'm not here trying to beat you up. More just allowing for the fact there isn't a bike made that's 100% guaranteed to arrive in a box fully ready to be ridden. Just as the fact there isn't a bike made that's never going to need maintenance. Even a 2 week old bike. Actually, it's not that unusual for the cable to that derailleur to stretch a bit as it "breaks in" the first 50-100 miles of use.

Best of luck whichever way you decide.

Please know the need for a derailleur adjustment does not reflect badly on the bike or bike manf.

It's more the kind of thing that should be checked/adjusted as necessary when the bike was initially prepped for use. That would be the prep YOU were responsible for, unless you had a local shop set the bike up for you initially. At that point, it was them that was responsible. Every nut and bolt on that bike should be gone over when new. You, the buyer, are responsible for the final inspection and testing of a new bike.

More just allowing for the fact there isn't a bike made that's 100% guaranteed to arrive in a box fully ready to be ridden. Just as the fact there isn't a bike made that's never going to need maintenance. Even a 2 week old bike. Actually, it's not that unusual for the cable to that derailleur to stretch a bit as it "breaks in" the first 50-100 miles of use.
My yubabike came perfectly adjusted out of the box, with every nut & bolt tight but the ones requiring assembly on the handlebar & pedals. There was no dealer within 2000 miles to prep it. I adjusted my rear shifter cable for the first time when after 6 months I replaced the SRAM lever shifter with a SRAM twist shifter. Top grade shifter cables like Clark's or Jaguar stainless slick don't stretch and require frequent adjustment. There is real steel, and there is grey mystery metal for a lower price. Yuba must have bought the real steel, and SRAM shifter components besides. Yuba is not for everybody, so I don't know if other bikes costing $1900 without electricity come with such high quality components. I adjusted brake for the first time about 1000 miles, but I adjusted the pad position tighter, not the cable. I certainly adjusted cables frequently on my previous Pacific Quantum and DIamondback MTB's, which probably cost $280 new.
I've only owned 2 new bikes with cables. The 1966 AMF Hercules from White's furniture store came properly adjusted and I didn't adjust a cable until I removed tires for replacement.
I much prefer the industrial grade crimp terminals I installed my battery with, to the push in connectors most bikes with integrated batteries are sold with. ~8000 miles, 3 winter removals & spring replacements, no problems. https://www.mcmaster.com/9397K18

Last edited:

As far as the battery connection, was the bike ever ridden with the battery not snapped in completely maybe? Whatever, if it is the battery connection that's not allowing the bike to power up, it's not something that requires anything special to clean up.

Please know I'm not here trying to beat you up. More just allowing for the fact there isn't a bike made that's 100% guaranteed to arrive in a box fully ready to be ridden. Just as the fact there isn't a bike made that's never going to need maintenance. Even a 2 week old bike. Actually, it's not that unusual for the cable to that derailleur to stretch a bit as it "breaks in" the first 50-100 miles of use.

Best of luck whichever way you decide.
Totally disagree but thanks. When someone pays $1800 for any product it should not malfunction within two weeks

Totally disagree but thanks. When someone pays $1800 for any product it should not malfunction within two weeks
I'm afraid you're in for a disappointing lesson. Best of luck.

thanks
I've had a level for a couple months and don't ride it that much because it kind of sucks - can't go up a hill without overheating or shutting off. I would return if their return for > 14 days wasn't so bad - 50% and you pay shipping. Gearing on the level is terrible - good for slow rides I guess. Customer service is terrible with Aventon as well - turned off their phones indefinitely because of so many issues with their bikes and may get back to you via email within 72-96 hours.

I've had a level for a couple months and don't ride it that much because it kind of sucks - can't go up a hill without overheating or shutting off. I would return if their return for > 14 days wasn't so bad - 50% and you pay shipping. Gearing on the level is terrible - good for slow rides I guess. Customer service is terrible with Aventon as well - turned off their phones indefinitely because of so many issues with their bikes and may get back to you via email within 72-96 hours.
You could change the gearing. Instead of having the bike do all the work, use leg power to help climb the hills so that motor isn't doing all the work. You'll get some exercise that way also.

Back