Rad Rover 5 good for going up hills?

I have not ordered the Bolton upgrade kit. I like to try out the Rover stock for a while and save up for the kit later.
Excellent plan. MANY are happy with the Rover as is.....

I would have waited to upgrade too if I actually had the bike and was out riding, unfortunately I won't get it till Aug. so instead I'm ordering all the crap I want. Plus I know I want the upgrade regardless.

Hello, I'm new to E-bikes & seriously considering getting a Rad Rover 5. I live in SF which is famous for hills. Would the Rad Rover have any issues going up hills? I'm about 5'-11" & 230lbs.

I'm 5'10" and like to think I'm under 200 lb. My 2019 radrover on PAS 3 (half power) under my legs has no problem going up the hill from aquatic park to top of Ft Mason, avg speed 11 mph on the climb. You know of what I speak.

I'm 5'10" and like to think I'm under 200 lb. My 2019 radrover on PAS 3 (half power) under my legs has no problem going up the hill from aquatic park to top of Ft Mason, avg speed 11 mph on the climb. You know of what I speak.
Legsofbeer thank you for that info. I know exactly where that is. I worked in and around Bush St. next to Union Square and wamted to know if the Rover can make it up Powell St. Anyways I have ordered the Rover 5 last week which is back order so shipping ETA is sometime in Sept.

I worked in and around Bush St. next to Union Square

Er, just a note: if you're locking up a new ebike outside in that neighborhood, first, don't. Second, get two bigassed locks: a moped quality chain lock (look for reviews from people who like to break locks), and a high end U-lock. If your work lets you lock up indoors, use them anyways. Adding 4-5 pounds of locks to your bike won't make a noticeable difference in performance.

Er, just a note: if you're locking up a new ebike outside in that neighborhood, first, don't. Second, get two bigassed locks: a moped quality chain lock (look for reviews from people who like to break locks), and a high end U-lock. If your work lets you lock up indoors, use them anyways. Adding 4-5 pounds of locks to your bike won't make a noticeable difference in performance.
Naw, I would not dare leave the bike outside. I’ve lived & grew up in the City so I know how it is. I actually will be storing the bike inside our building. Thanks for the concern though. 👍🏽

you really want a mid drive for hill climbing. rad is not known for hill climbing.
I find my Rad will go up any hill a car would go up. Offroad hills may be a different issue. Remember it's only 1hp at best, and weight will effect it. With my knees not helping a lot, it bogs down quickly.

I find my Rad will go up any hill a car would go up. Offroad hills may be a different issue. Remember it's only 1hp at best, and weight will effect it. With my knees not helping a lot, it bogs down quickly.
Which Rad do you have and how much do you weigh?
My Radcity plus me at 240 can go up fairly steep hills but I don’t like to do over 500 watts at slow speeds much. If I can’t go at least 10mph I walk it. Not worth the wear and tear on the bike or me since I’m adding more power than the bike on those hills.

Which Rad do you have and how much do you weigh?
My Radcity plus me at 240 can go up fairly steep hills but I don’t like to do over 500 watts at slow speeds much. If I can’t go at least 10mph I walk it. Not worth the wear and tear on the bike or me since I’m adding more power than the bike on those hills.
Rad Rover ST. I'm 185 lbs now, Lost 30 lbs in last 18 months. 10 since my Rad arrived in my life.

When on trails, I've never had a problem getting in the rough terrain or back out. A 2 or 3 assist level is all I really need. Some sandy areas it was nice to have more assist to get through. Living in Florida, sand on your path is inevitable here.

Back