Rad power upgrade- 10 pin brake\throttle extension

murbot

Region
USA
City
MOUNT AIRY, MD USA
Hi,
Anyone know where to find 10 pin extension cables? It's probably fine, but has some tension on it after the upgrade due to the one sided placement of the controller's output cables.
Thanks

Is this the 4:1 or 5:1 cable that leads from the controller to the handlebar area?

Rather than try to find an extension for that, which might be difficult, maybe simpler to go with Tempo's plan and extend just the brake or throttle cable.

Thank you, both for the suggestions. I might have stayed stuck on extending the one cable for another week.
I was focused on extending that thicker (4:1) cable coming from the controller. A complete set would be a suitable solution and I would have already ordered it if I could I find the 10 pin connector. This is from the controller, up to the stock cable that splits to the brakes, throttle and display with 2, 3 and 5 pin connectors for each respectively.

I ordered 2, 3 and 5 pin extensions a minute ago. I'll wrap with no kinks in coil tube or something to keep them from snagging. That should relieve the tension on the 4:1 cable so I can route it back around the other side of the controller and frame.

10pinRcvr.PNG
10pinMale.PNG

Last edited:
He took your suggestion and just ordered extensions like you showed earlier. Curious as to what triggered this issue as well. Did you install a controller upgrade kit? If so, which one? Link?

Sorry... Went to sleep right after my last post last night. USA...Maryland.
I installed Boltons 35a upgrade kit a couple weeks ago...and you're 100% correct, that's why the cable's too short. It travels along the underside\front of the controller instead of behind it. This leaves it stretched from the down bar to the crossbar with a gap, sort of creating a triangle.

I didn't order the bundle of cables though. None of them had that silly 10 pin connector so I turned focus to the 4 individual cables that split off. I need about 6 inches to be able to wrap around the back side of the controller and relieve the triangle tension. I'll fold the bike a few times per year during longer camping trips and I worry about that tension when it's being folded.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 9.09.22 AM.png

Sorry... Went to sleep right after my last post last night. USA...Maryland.
I installed Boltons 35a upgrade kit a couple weeks ago...and you're 100% correct, that's why the cable's too short. It travels along the underside\front of the controller instead of behind it. This leaves it stretched from the down bar to the crossbar with a gap, sort of creating a triangle.

I didn't order the bundle of cables though. None of them had that silly 10 pin connector so I turned focus to the 4 individual cables that split off. I need about 6 inches to be able to wrap around the back side of the controller and relieve the triangle tension. I'll fold the bike a few times per year during longer camping trips and I worry about that tension when it's being folded.

View attachment 110546
Yes. Individual cable extensions is the easiest way. 10 PIN (5 to 1) main harness (or connector) is not not available in retail as far as I'm aware.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-195033.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-195033.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
Yes. Individual cable extensions is the easiest way. 10 PIN (5 to 1) main harness (or connector) is not not available in retail as far as I'm aware.
Thank you. I'm satisfied with the end result...or expect I will be once installed. :)

Would that really interfere with rear fender though?
Looks like there's a lot of room, and if it does in fact, interfere with fender, I don't think the battery would even go in because it will interfere with the point where you mount the fender and rear reflector (brake bridge, or in this case, fender bridge) before interfering with the fender.

Also, what do you mean by rear rack front mounting?
Rad Power Bikes RadMini 4 Electric Bike Review - Header
Jumbo Shark need just little more room so yes fender needs to be modified.
Sorry forgot to mention the reflector/rear light. If you dont have rear rack then spacer bracket etc are needed for that as well.
The bike will fold.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211231-092601.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-092601.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Screenshot_20211231-092133.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-092133.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot_20211231-094321.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-094321.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 228
oh nice!

Did you get the real 750W motor as well?
Haven’t gotten the 750…yet. Not sure if I will though. I don’t need the extra speed. I wanted the controller upgrade because of my hilly neighborhood to help with the (injury), pain when I pedal hard. But it would be fun so maybe down the road. It would also making traveling on 25mph roads less stessfull. That's my main thought when I consider the 750W. The Bolton controller is great, but if I'm ever able to talk a friend or my wife into getting a bike, I'll have to convince them to upgrade as well or I'll be on my on when use the extra power. LOL

52v Battery: I haven't upgraded the battery, and don't really plan to do so. If that time comes, I'll probably use the money to get a second bike. With the better knowledge I'll have by that time, I can choose a better bike and maybe I'll be healed enough to hit the old switchbacks I haven't been able to ride since my injury. I removed my rear fender after about 2 week of owning the bike. But I don't currently ride on anything that will kick up on me. I'll install a sporty, motor bike looking rear fender in the spring. It's possible that fender upgrade might provide the extra space the 52v battery would need for those who do upgrade the battery.

Haven’t gotten the 750…yet. Not sure if I will though. I don’t need the extra speed. I wanted the controller upgrade because of my hilly neighborhood to help with the (injury), pain when I pedal hard. But it would be fun so maybe down the road. It would also making traveling on 25mph roads less stessfull. That's my main thought when I consider the 750W. The Bolton controller is great, but if I'm ever able to talk a friend or my wife into getting a bike, I'll have to convince them to upgrade as well or I'll be on my on when use the extra power. LOL

52v Battery: I haven't upgraded the battery, and don't really plan to do so. If that time comes, I'll probably use the money to get a second bike. With the better knowledge I'll have by that time, I can choose a better bike and maybe I'll be healed enough to hit the old switchbacks I haven't been able to ride since my injury. I removed my rear fender after about 2 week of owning the bike. But I don't currently ride on anything that will kick up on me. I'll install a sporty, motor bike looking rear fender in the spring. It's possible that fender upgrade might provide the extra space the 52v battery would need for those who do upgrade the battery.
You've spoiled yourself now - or you're about to. Not with just having an e-bike, but with having an e-bike with a control interface like the KT offers. The only other one that comes close is the one in the mid drive Bafang - that they changed for 2021. The good ones, built with the UART based interface, are no longer being built.

ENJOY!

Looking for a spare battery for my radmini-4. There a battery out there with the same pinouts as the original radpower? Like to have two batteries available, and still use the original radmini battery.

Looking for a spare battery for my radmini-4. There a battery out there with the same pinouts as the original radpower? Like to have two batteries available, and still use the original radmini battery.
Same pinout, Yes. Craddle compatibility, No.

So what do you guys do with the original radpower battery, sell it? I need two batteries, wonder if the original radpower battery would be a better choice for me.

So what do you guys do with the original radpower battery, sell it? I need two batteries, wonder if the original radpower battery would be a better choice for me.
I'm still running the original '17 battery in mine. Still delivering the same range (35 miles or so) on a charge as when new. It could quit completely tomorrow and I don't think I'd be mad at it...

Back