Rad Mini Accessories

psy1

I just bought a Rad Mini today. First eBike, total beginner. Eager to receive it. I have been reading about accessories and modifications. Not a ton of information out there and some of it seems dated.

I wonder if others could recommend accessories relevant to the Mini along with links?

I have been looking into tire replacements without much luck. I don't need mud tires or really aggressive tread. I will be riding on streets and mulch and gravel groomed trails. I want tires that are durable. My Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on the Brompton never let me down! Is there a durable tire for the Mini?

I am also looking for a good, comfortable seat. I ordered the Suntour seat post from Rad so that should help. For the seat, I want a LaZBoy, not a prostate exam. Looks like the Cloud Nine gets good reviews but I found many models. Which one do you recommend?

I want mirrors, probably left and right. On my Brompton I have a mirror that screws into the end of the handlebars, but that interferes with folding. The mirrors that are on a long, flexible arm look OK but I wonder if they don't shake like crazy. What mirrors do you recommend?

The rear racks from Rad are out of stock. Plus they look heavy and non-standard. I have read positive reviews on Topeak racks. Any recommendations?

From the photos, it looks like the Mini's wheels use nuts instead of quick release axles. Has anyone replaced those, at least on the front wheel, with quick release axles? Sources? Any reason not to?

I decided against the Rad fenders for now. Anybody like fenders from other manufacturers?

Thanks.

I do not have a Rad, but my bike came with the Cloud 9 Cruiser Select 10.5" x 10.75". It is a very comfortable saddle, but you were wise in ordering the Suntour suspension seat post. I put one on my bike last week and it makes a world of difference. There is a reason they call these bikes "hard tails".

I can't help you with the tires. The Kenda tires are very loud, especially on asphalt, and the faster I go, the louder they get. Inflating to max PSI helps, but they are still annoyingly loud. My rear tire developed a slow leak almost immediately, but I slimed both tires and they have held up fine so far. I am stuck with the tires because I really need the aggressive tread on some of my rides.

I am also struggling with mirrors. Anything protruding from my handlebar grips is likely to get knocked off by a tree or a bush. I have ordered a couple of helmet mirrors to try.

One of the reasons I did not buy the Rad was the rear rack. I believe it was standard on the 2018, but it only has a 45 lb weight limit. I looked at some after market racks with higher weight limits, but I do not remember the brand. Occasionally, I need to carry up to 80 lbs on my rear rack. I have ordered the expanded platform from Rad hoping I can adapt it to my rack to help balance the load.

My bike has plastic fenders and my wife's bike has metal fenders. They both keep the road grime off our bikes and our bodies.

Congratulations on your new bike. Let the accessorizing begin! I am finding that to be almost as much fun as researching and buying a bike.

I ordered the Cloud 9 seat recommended elsewhere and it is enormous, something like 12 x 11 inches. Seems ridiculous on paper, but I am looking for ridiculous comfort. Just hope it is not too long... I am considering using just the front rack most of the time (like on a Brompton) and then using a seat post fender for the rear wheel.

Get the bike and ride it first :)

Velo Plush saddle that comes with Mini, is pretty decent, reasonably soft, 8*10.5". With the "crack" in the middle.

There are dozens of different models under Cloud 9 name. I have Cloud 9 Cruiser Tricolor 10*10, and can't say that it is much better (or worse) than Velo Plush.

Good point on getting the bike first. Cart before the horse. The cost of some of these accessories is de minimus - not like buying titanium replacement parts for my Brompton. So I don't mind indulging in a little anticipatory shopping.

Back