Rad City assembly and maintenance

Stefi

Just got The Rad City bike , it is difficult to put it together myself? Also Rad City owners , any technical problems over the time with this bike? Any special maintenance to be done? I’m asking because I’m my area are no Rad Power bike dealers and if there’s an issue will have to rely on online support and eventually a third party bike shop. Thanks

People have such different levels of comfort and ability with mechanics that it's hard to say how this will be for you. My mechanical ability is fairly high, but I remember worrying about assembling my Rad Rover. I just followed the instructions, step by step. There was nothing more difficult than turning a wrench. I couldn't believe it when I realized I was done, it was so simple.

Is Velofix (I think that's the name of the portable bike shop) available in your area? For $200 (I think) they will take care of everything as well as tune things up to start you off. I would have felt cheated if I'd paid $200 for what needed doing, but that's not a bad price at all if you're the kind of person who doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to grab.

TT

People have such different levels of comfort and ability with mechanics that it's hard to say how this will be for you. My mechanical ability is fairly high, but I remember worrying about assembling my Rad Rover. I just followed the instructions, step by step. There was nothing more difficult than turning a wrench. I couldn't believe it when I realized I was done, it was so simple.

Is Velofix (I think that's the name of the portable bike shop) available in your area? For $200 (I think) they will take care of everything as well as tune things up to start you off. I would have felt cheated if I'd paid $200 for what needed doing, but that's not a bad price at all if you're the kind of person who doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to grab.

TT
They are not available in my area so I have no choice.... I’ll do it !

Stefi, my bet is there's some YouTube videos in your future.

My best advice would be to not assume a screw or bolt is tight unless you've had a wrench on it and checked it yourself. Put the battery on the charger right away, to allow it to charge while assembling the bike.

Watch the Rad/YouTube assembly video for the City a few times to familiarize yourself with the process. It is short, if I remember correctly:

Attach handlebars
Assemble and insert front wheel skewer thru axel
Remove fork shipping platform and lift front of bike, slide wheel into fork slots and brake caliper (easier if you have a helper assist you)
Attach front fender and headlight
Attach pedals
Attach seat to post and insert into seat tube
Inflate tires to proper setting
Snug down any other bolts to ensure everything is tightened properly

Lift the front and back ends and spin each wheel. If they rotate freely, you are good to go. If they stop spinning after only a couple of seconds, then you will likely need to separate the brake pads a bit. This is easy on the front wheel, not so much on the rear due to interference with the motor housing. Let us know if you have this issue.

Enjoy your new bike! - RangerDave

Stefi, my bet is there's some YouTube videos in your future.

My best advice would be to not assume a screw or bolt is tight unless you've had a wrench on it and checked it yourself. Put the battery on the charger right away, to allow it to charge while assembling the bike.
Thanks , good advice !

Back