Rad City 4-Battery Charging/Storage

Stefi

Just got my Rad City 4 and I'm a bit confused about battery charging-based on Owner's manual you should never leave the battery unattended during charging process-this process may take few hours, first three times almost 12 hours, so what you have to do-stay beside the battery all that time? Also as per owner's manual the battery should be charge and store at a temperature between 10-25 C or 50f-77f-these days when outside temperature is about 32c in my garage is getting close to 40c-what to do in this case? It is safe to leave the battery on the bike and/or charging at this temperature? or charge and keep the battery better in the house when is so hot? Thanks

There is a history that goes with batteries about them exploding and killing hundreds of people, burning down houses and garages and other such evil deeds. There is some truth to that history, but, for the most part that's older battery technology and, anyway, it's a statistical thing that makes you probably more likely to win the lottery than be injured by your battery. It's probably best not to charge your battery behind long flowing drapes, but not much to worry about beyond that. Others may disagree.

I doubt anyone sits and watches their battery charge from start to finish. I have a Rad Rover, which, I believe, has the same battery as your bike. Using the charger that came with it, I will usually plug it in and let it go over night. I do this out in my garage, which is air conditioned. If it's hitting close to 40° I think you're okay but some place not as hot is probably preferable.

There's a lot to be learned on this forum about battery care. My opinion: there is a lot of good, valuable, and valid info out there, but to some extent it can be more theoretical than practical. Take reasonable care of your battery and get a new one in a few years. You can follow some recommendations here and maybe be get an extra few months out of your battery, but at the expense of way to much effort (in my opinion) worrying about exact charge levels. Bikes are meant for fun!

Now, one more thing. You don't need to post your questions multiple times! Look for the option on the forum main page to see "New Posts". Click on that and you will see all new posts, most recent at the top, regardless of the subforum. I am specially interested in Rad Power Bikes but I almost never look exclusively at the Rad sub-forum, but I still see all of the new post to Rad, as well as other things that may be of interest.

TT

There is a history that goes with batteries about them exploding and killing hundreds of people, burning down houses and garages and other such evil deeds. There is some truth to that history, but, for the most part that's older battery technology and, anyway, it's a statistical thing that makes you probably more likely to win the lottery than be injured by your battery. It's probably best not to charge your battery behind long flowing drapes, but not much to worry about beyond that. Others may disagree.

I doubt anyone sits and watches their battery charge from start to finish. I have a Rad Rover, which, I believe, has the same battery as your bike. Using the charger that came with it, I will usually plug it in and let it go over night. I do this out in my garage, which is air conditioned. If it's hitting close to 40° I think you're okay but some place not as hot is probably preferable.

There's a lot to be learned on this forum about battery care. My opinion: there is a lot of good, valuable, and valid info out there, but to some extent it can be more theoretical than practical. Take reasonable care of your battery and get a new one in a few years. You can follow some recommendations here and maybe be get an extra few months out of your battery, but at the expense of way to much effort (in my opinion) worrying about exact charge levels. Bikes are meant for fun!

Now, one more thing. You don't need to post your questions multiple times! Look for the option on the forum main page to see "New Posts". Click on that and you will see all new posts, most recent at the top, regardless of the subforum. I am specially interested in Rad Power Bikes but I almost never look exclusively at the Rad sub-forum, but I still see all of the new post to Rad, as well as other things that may be of interest.

TT
Thanks for your advice!

Back