Quick ride on the Hydra, first impressions

Cuz Vinny

E0782216-EED5-4B13-96B8-FAAC860CFEDE.jpeg

0FE20521-D49A-4095-8DB6-259F8D5125E3.jpeg

041CF9D4-AEAC-4BF0-B408-E2EAB40D5EA0.jpeg
7BD1E325-27F4-47C7-8640-8CE9F0064169.jpeg

So swapped out the stuff that came with the bike and installed a mix of Shimano Zee, XT and KMC components. Shifts 100 times better now. My derailleur was damaged in shipment but I’m getting new replacement parts but these will do for now. Have a ton of other upgrades done to the bike, too many to list here. I did switch to the Bafang 500C Mini display and it does work but there is a catch. No modes, basically in sport mode all the time. At least it feels like sport mode. I have five assist levels and anything over level two is insane! Left in assist level two you get just enough assist from the motor but it’s still very bicycle like. Level three and up the power is strong and the torque is nuts! Using PAS level three and the third smallest cog I easily hit 30 mph although my cadence was pretty fast. Pretty confident this is a 35 plus mph bike. Luckily I have the programming cable so I can program the controller so the first couple of PAS levels are at a lower wattage and the higher levels at full power. At least I hope I can.

This is now my go to bike. It looks great and the performance is awesome. Next ride I’ll do a full charge of the battery and do a longer ride to see how the range is. Super stoked with the bike and I’m looking forward to a lot of riding this summer season.

Wow, that is great to hear. Looks good and sounds like it performs as I imagined it would or better.

I'm impressed with your bike mechanic skills, go to attitude and results - wish you lived next door to me.

Took the bike out for another blast. This thing is way too much fun! However I’m not a fan of the dropper post or throttle. Of all the years I’ve been riding I’ve never used a dropper post, have no use for it. As for the throttle, most of the places I ride won’t allow bikes with throttles. Needless to say I removed both of them from the bike. I’ll hang on to them in case I want to put them back on later. Bike looks much neater with less wires and cables.

Glad to hear you're having a great time.

It's always interesting to me how we are all so different. I love the throttle and have to make little games/rules for myself to not be using it in certain ways on rides. I did a test ride once on a Scott mountain bike with a dropper seat post and instantly saw how I could love that thing for ease of mounting and dismounting alone.

We live in a great time and are fortunate especially in all of our choices.

Glad to hear you're having a great time.

It's always interesting to me how we are all so different. I love the throttle and have to make little games/rules for myself to not be using it in certain ways on rides. I did a test ride once on a Scott mountain bike with a dropper seat post and instantly saw how I could love that thing for ease of mounting and dismounting alone.

We live in a great time and are fortunate especially in all of our choices.
I have a dropper seat post on my Turbo Levo, never use it. Won’t miss it on the Hydra. The throttle I would keep but the places I ride don’t allow Ebikes with throttles. Sucks but if I want to ride there I have to abide by the rules.

I have a dropper seat post on my Turbo Levo, never use it. Won’t miss it on the Hydra. The throttle I would keep but the places I ride don’t allow Ebikes with throttles. Sucks but if I want to ride there I have to abide by the rules.
Ahhh, @Cuz Vinny are you not violating multiple local laws by riding a moped/motorcycle (> Class 3) on park trails, not properly licensed nor insured? Got DOT helmet?? Not sure of the laws/rules in Delaware…. 🤡
-BB
Edit- the angry face was a joke!!!

Last edited:
Ahhh, @Cuz Vinny are you not violating multiple local laws by riding a moped/motorcycle (> Class 3) on park trails, not properly licensed nor insured? Got DOT helmet?? Not sure of the laws/rules in Delaware…. 🤡
-BB
Edit- the angry face was a joke!!!
Are cops in Delaware pushing that hard on ebike laws?

No but I’ve been stopped by a few park rangers before. They only look for a throttle, could care less about the wattage.
I find that very interesting, who cares if I have 2300W motor, but if I have 750W with throttle I am a bad boy....these laws are a mess.
We need an Ebike enthusiast to go into politics to get a federal law for all states to fix this for the whole country, or somebody take a case to the supreme court and get a proper ruling.

Last edited:
With all the BS out here in Cali I have never been stopped by any rangers or officials. Never have even gotten the stink eye from another rider. Usually ride 2-3 times a week. Actually just got back from the Moab area and rode a lot but I digress....Been riding e-bikes for about 3 years or so. I now only use the throttle sparingly and only pretty much going up a technical section maybe if pedaling will cause a strike and halt my forward motion.
I used to always be in level 3 hitting the throttle ALOT and riding 4" fat tires on a hardtail. What the hell happened to me? Now I have a Dual suspension bike with great suspension, rarely use the throttle, typically use level 2 and are riding 3" tires.

And Im a better rider for it IMO.
CV are those EC's front and rear specific tires like the minnion's?

With all the BS out here in Cali I have never been stopped by any rangers or officials. Never have even gotten the stink eye from another rider. Usually ride 2-3 times a week. Actually just got back from the Moab area and rode a lot but I digress....Been riding e-bikes for about 3 years or so. I now only use the throttle sparingly and only pretty much going up a technical section maybe if pedaling will cause a strike and halt my forward motion.
I used to always be in level 3 hitting the throttle ALOT and riding 4" fat tires on a hardtail. What the hell happened to me? Now I have a Dual suspension bike with great suspension, rarely use the throttle, typically use level 2 and are riding 3" tires.

And Im a better rider for it IMO.
CV are those EC's front and rear specific tires like the minnion's?
Yes, specific tread patter for front and rear.

Actually, different size as they are Mullet style….
-BB
Oops- looks like the article I read had them set up Mullet…(sorry!)

Last edited:
No mullet, I’m bald. Less wind drag 🙃
How are they different? Photos look identical….
-BB

Back