Questions for Jim?

grench

I am in Denver to pick up a new Optibike. Does anyone have any questions for JimTurner? I will try to snap a few pics of the bikes he has on hand tomorrow morning.

Sweet. What are you buying Grench?
Something even faster than the Pioneer Allroad I bet. (As they say in politics: Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.)
Allen

1. When the whole industry is clearly moving towards refined pedal assist, why isn't optibike progressing in that area.
  2. How will they establish market base without having sufficient bikes at different retailers for people to test ride?

Something even faster than the Pioneer Allroad I bet. (As they say in politics: Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.)
Allen
I originally couldn't wait for a new bike so I bought a used one. With Optibikes move to in house assembly I decided to go with a new one. Here is what I have now.
Allen

Allen
When I originally purchased my Allroad, I didn't want to wait for a new one so I went with a used bike they had on hand. I decided to get a new one now that they have made a few upgrades. I have to say any 300lbs people out there...this is a solid way to go. I am not a fan of Black Gloss but here is what I have now.
IMG_0142.jpg IMG_0145.jpg IMG_0144.jpg IMG_0146.jpg IMG_0147.jpg
Note:
1. The two Garmin Virb mounts - One under the seat, the other on my homemade bar mount...I used a metal broom handle and one of the plastic C clamps (still need to paint it black). This is the deal I made with my wife to allow me to ride on the road. I guess she feels like the life insurance will be good...I will have a record of the crash from the front and back.
2. The upgraded front shock - off of Optibikes high end stuff. This raised the front of the bike up about 1 ½". HUGE difference for me. There is no comparison between the stock shock and this upgrade.
3. Stem riser and riser handlebars. Lets a fat man breath when he rides.
4. The new shock makes mounting a water bottle here an option. I like the access.
5. And last but definitely not least - Big Bens with Green Gard. These tires are awesome. Anyone wanting to smooth out the ride and get some sure footedness...these are the way to go.
6. The kickstand was too short after the fork and tires, so I popped the boot off, tapped the tube and put a bolt in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 516
Last edited:
  1. When the whole industry is clearly moving towards refined pedal assist, why isn't optibike progressing in that area.
  2. How will they establish market base without having sufficient bikes at different retailers for people to test ride?
Sorry Ravi - I did not see your questions before I left. However I did ask the pedal assist question. Jim told me within 6 months they will be releasing a pedal assist option on the high end bikes. I asked if the '6 month out' option would be a torque sensor...He is not happy with what is available on the market now with existing torque sensors - so not yet. It will be a cadence sensor.

I will let Jim answer the second question.

Nice job with the front end! Ive seen some very awkward looking jobs when raising handlebars, but that looks solid. You should change the thread tittle to "My new custom Opti".

In case you're looking for a fender for the upcoming slush http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KB2DJU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s04
I use one with my Rock Shox XC32, mounts under the crown and is removable with a button lock. I use it whenever there is a chance of wet, keeps me clean and dry. I don't leave it on all the time, so I like that it's easy off.

Nice job with the front end! Ive seen some very awkward looking jobs when raising handlebars, but that looks solid. You should change the thread tittle to "My new custom Opti".

In case you're looking for a fender for the upcoming slush http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KB2DJU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s04
I use one with my Rock Shox XC32, mounts under the crown and is removable with a button lock. I use it whenever there is a chance of wet, keeps me clean and dry. I don't leave it on all the time, so I like that it's easy off.
Thanks...I will start a new thread as soon as I get done... Still have a few changes to make. I am going to add fenders...Will take a look at the ones you recommend. Yes the raise on the front end is solid. It has to be I have a lot of weight on it.:(

Sorry Ravi - I did not see your questions before I left. However I did ask the pedal assist question. Jim told me within 6 months they will be releasing a pedal assist option on the high end bikes. I asked if the '6 month out' option would be a torque sensor...He is not happy with what is available on the market now with existing torque sensors - so not yet. It will be a cadence sensor.

I will let Jim answer the second question.
Thanks for the feedback Grench and congrats on the new Opti. Those Fox forks are very sweet. Let's hope Optibike can get the PAS integrated before Winter is out so people have a change to order and get one before late summer 2016. Also, a good time for Court to re-visit and test that PAS line, when it happens.

All very good questions and reviews. A PAS system with the higher end bikes will only bump the price up... the SIMBB 29c and 29r are already above market value for their motor power/range combo. I'm scared to see how much the cost will go up after PAS comes out.

That 29R with the Gates Carbon belt drive is pretty sweet looking though. ;) Anyone know where i can sell a limb or organ to get an ebike?

I could not have said it better Grench Big Bens with green guard are the best. I ride on some scorching asphalt and I can't see any wear.

Back