Question about walk assist on Shimano Steps

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
Gazelle are kindly loaning me one of their ebikes to test ride for a month, the EasyFlow has a Shimano Steps E6000 motor but no throttle. I am a utility cyclist and intend to tow a trailer and go shopping. On my own ebike with a Bafang BBS01 motor I like to use the throttle just to get going when stopped facing up hill and use walk assist to push my bike up ramps. Can the walk assist feature on Shimano Steps be used when riding to get going from a stop? I just need a little boost to help start pedalling when carrying or towing a load, or is the torque sensor sensitive enough to read the pedal pressure and kick in right away?

You can see how the Steps 'walk mode' is engaged in Court's 'Trek Lift' review https://electricbikereview.com/trek/lift-plus/ [at about 12:15] . In my opinion the fiddle factor would not make it a good option for your purpose. My mid-drive bike has the Steps E6000 unit and it is used to carry cargo. Before stopping on a hill, I downshift into the granny gear and never have trouble moving off. If you will be towing, the lowest gear and the High power setting should get the job done. Also, Shimano offers an optional smaller chainring which increases power to the rear wheel and makes climbing steep hills a lot easier.

No the walk mode assist can not be used like you are proposing Dewey. It is only designed to be used with the rider off the bike.

I do find it very useful when the tide is out and I have to walk the bike up a very steep ramp. So for me it's great.

Back