Question about “power meters”

Chibbie

Region
USA
Hi all,

Now that we’re getting close to winter, I’m considering getting an indoor trainer. The one I’m looking at - the Wahoo Kickr Rollr - doesn’t have a power meter built-in, so you have to use a separate power meter if you want to use it with any training apps.

(Before you ask: the reason I am considering that rather than a wheel-on trainer is that I don’t want to have to go through the time and effort of changing the wheel/tire in order to avoid tire wear. And the reason I don’t want to use a wheel-off trainer is similarly that I don’t want to have to go through the time and effort of taking the wheel off, attaching everything to the trainer, etc.. Basically, I know myself well enough to know that anything that makes it complicated or time-consuming to do will be a disincentive from me ever actually using it.)

I am a casual rider, so I’m not really familiar with power meters. However, in researching them, I saw several “power pedals” as well as some crank arm power meters. Everything I’ve seen in those categories cost many hundreds of dollars, and also requires removing and then reinstalling your current pedals or crank arm. So, that’s not very appealing: more money and time than I’d like to invest given that I’m not a serious athlete. I just want to use an indoor trainer for basic fitness. Is there such a thing as a (1) cheap (let’s say $100 or less) power meter that (2) just clips onto something rather than requiring removing/replacing components and (3) would work with the Kickr Rollr to use with a training app?

Thanks for any insights!

Hi all,

Now that we’re getting close to winter, I’m considering getting an indoor trainer. The one I’m looking at - the Wahoo Kickr Rollr - doesn’t have a power meter built-in, so you have to use a separate power meter if you want to use it with any training apps.

(Before you ask: the reason I am considering that rather than a wheel-on trainer is that I don’t want to have to go through the time and effort of changing the wheel/tire in order to avoid tire wear. And the reason I don’t want to use a wheel-off trainer is similarly that I don’t want to have to go through the time and effort of taking the wheel off, attaching everything to the trainer, etc.. Basically, I know myself well enough to know that anything that makes it complicated or time-consuming to do will be a disincentive from me ever actually using it.)

I am a casual rider, so I’m not really familiar with power meters. However, in researching them, I saw several “power pedals” as well as some crank arm power meters. Everything I’ve seen in those categories cost many hundreds of dollars, and also requires removing and then reinstalling your current pedals or crank arm. So, that’s not very appealing: more money and time than I’d like to invest given that I’m not a serious athlete. I just want to use an indoor trainer for basic fitness. Is there such a thing as a (1) cheap (let’s say $100 or less) power meter that (2) just clips onto something rather than requiring removing/replacing components and (3) would work with the Kickr Rollr to use with a training app?

Thanks for any insights!
having to add one is going to cost you big time. getting the zwift and a cheap bike to set up on it may be the way to go. then just set it up and leave it.

having to add one is going to cost you big time. getting the zwift and a cheap bike to set up on it may be the way to go. then just set it up and leave it.
Thanks. I thought of that too. But I’d prefer to do my indoor rides on the same bike I use outdoors if possible.

What about these?

Or this?

Would either of those work with Zwift and the Kickr Rollr?

Last edited:
you are talking two different things. a power meter measures how much effort you put out. these two measure speed and cadence. getting the cadence sensor is good but its not a power meter. a power meter is good to measure how much effort you put out so you get a better idea of your effort and calories burned. if you have a bosch powered bike or such it will have that info. what do you have?

Those are speed and cadence sensors, not power meters. They can tell you how fast you are spinning the cranks but not how hard you are pedaling.

Thanks. I certainly could be confused! Part of my confusion may be that this Zwift page seems to indicate that at least the Garmin speed & cadence sensors I linked to would work with Zwift: https://support.zwift.com/en_us/speed-and-cadence-sensors-ryZdj7beB. (“If you have a wheel-on trainer that doesn't transmit data, you may be able to add a speed and/or cadence sensor to your bike to measure your speed and/or cadence in Zwift. Once you've paired a speed sensor, Zwift takes the data from that device, and your effort in Zwift is generated by zPower, our estimated power curve.”). But perhaps I’m misunderstanding.

I do happen to have a Bosch-powered bike (a Trek Verve+ 4S). Are you saying that my bike itself will connect with Zwift?

Thanks. I certainly could be confused! Part of my confusion may be that this Zwift page seems to indicate that at least the Garmin speed & cadence sensors I linked to would work with Zwift: https://support.zwift.com/en_us/speed-and-cadence-sensors-ryZdj7beB. (“If you have a wheel-on trainer that doesn't transmit data, you may be able to add a speed and/or cadence sensor to your bike to measure your speed and/or cadence in Zwift. Once you've paired a speed sensor, Zwift takes the data from that device, and your effort in Zwift is generated by zPower, our estimated power curve.”). But perhaps I’m misunderstanding.

I do happen to have a Bosch-powered bike (a Trek Verve+ 4S). Are you saying that my bike itself will connect with Zwift?
no it wont. it has a built in power meter and speed and cadence. but unless you have a kiox or nyon you cant see that. at least not the power. if you really wanted that info I would upgrade the display and get a cheaper trainer.

no it wont. it has a built in power meter and speed and cadence. but unless you have a kiox or nyon you cant see that. at least not the power. if you really wanted that info I would upgrade the display and get a cheaper trainer.
Thanks. But I don’t want to “see” the info per se; I just wanted to find a method to connect to Zwift that doesn’t require spending $500-700 on power pedals or a crank arm power meter…

Thanks. But I don’t want to “see” the info per se; I just wanted to find a method to connect to Zwift that doesn’t require spending $500-700 on power pedals or a crank arm power meter…
if you dont need the power meter you can get a lower end garmin to connect or a gamin watch. and connect them. I think you may be able to use a android phone too. you can do it with apple with a ANT to bluetooh adapter.

if you dont need the power meter you can get a lower end garmin to connect or a gamin watch. and connect them. I think you may be able to use a android phone too. you can do it with apple with a ANT to bluetooh adapter.
I feel like I’m either miscommunciating or missing the point of what you’re saying. I don’t see how a Garmin or Apple Watch (the latter of which I have) would help transmit power data to Zwift…

So, let me start over by paraphrasing my original query:

What is the cheapest way to use the Kickr Rollr with Zwift, given that the Rollr does not have a built-in power meter?

so your wanting to use the virtual riding feature? then you would need a Candace sensor on your crank. but I dont think your bike is going to fit, the tires are too wide and I think the bike is too long. you need to check that.

Back