Quesions concerning the purchase of bike

I am 63 and my wife 62. I have narrowed the E-Bikes down to two--The Electra Townie Go, or a Pedego.

They both have peddle assist, but only the Pedego includes a throttle. We plan on riding around our blocks, but Sarasota also has 12.5 mile trial that they allow both types to ride on. So, if we ride from the entire trail, that will be about 25 miles. We are in good shape, no issues, but as we get older, I was just wondering if I would regret not buying the Pedego. One "salesman" said the Pedego wasn't really designed as a "bike", so he leans toward the Electra, which is a bike. He is inferring that if we only use in bike mode, it will not measure up to the purpose and design as a bike.

Anyway, the models I am looking at are the Electra Townie Go 7D; or the Pedego Interceptor (24"). The Electra is about 1,500, the Pedego is about 3,000! I don't think I would use the throttle that much, but I am wondering if I will be sorry in the future. Perhaps I should get the Electra for less money, and down the road if I realize I would like the throttle, I can make the decision then. But, the throttle does seem like it would be fun, but I DO want to get exercise to.

Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Dwain

Hi Dwain, First welcome. Based on what you've written...".We plan on riding around our blocks, but Sarasota also has 12.5 mile trial that they allow both types to ride on.
So, if we ride from the entire trail, that will be about 25 miles. We are in good shape, no issues, "

I'm assuming that Sarasota terrain is flat and the 12.5 mile trail is paved ? If so, even if the trail is packed stone dust I see no need for a throttle to assist is
accelerating from a standstill. You mentioned you folks were in good shape, no knee problem etc...I

If you'd like a throttle because of the style of riding it provides that's a different story. Unless someone needs throttle assist for a specific reason,
choosing a bike with a throttle is a personal decision. There is no right or wrong. I don't prefer a throttle and both of my eBikes are pedal assist only.
I've ridden over 7000 miles pedal assist only...In New England and we have something they call hills : )

You mentioned a 12.5 mile trail with a return trip. Assuming your trail is paved and flat, 25 miles may sound like long ride ? you'll be amazed how
quickly and effortlessly the miles will roll by on your ebike. As for the Townie and the Pedego, they are both quality bikes. As mentioned Townie is
owned by Trek who has a great support/dealer network. Pedego is no slouch either, but I'm partial to Trek.

I'm not a fan of the battery mounted high on top of the fender from a weight distribution perspective. You mentioned the Pedego was priced at $ 3,000. If that number
is in your budget I would give consideration to the Townie Go 8 a look......

https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie-go/townie-go-8i?g=stepthru

Good luck and check back in,
John

Thanks John. Yes, I definitely leaning toward the Townie 8i. After reading several posts, and research, I don't think the throttle is necessary. Yes, I think the mid motor position from what I have read is better. The only thing that I am slightly concerned with is if the chain comes off, you can't peddle. But the Townie 8i has internal gears and less sprockets, so perhaps there is less of a chance of the chain coming off.
Thanks for response.
Dwain

Thanks John. Yes, I definitely leaning toward the Townie 8i. After reading several posts, and research, I don't think the throttle is necessary. Yes, I think the mid motor position from what I have read is better. The only thing that I am slightly concerned with is if the chain comes off, you can't peddle. But the Townie 8i has internal gears and less sprockets, so perhaps there is less of a chance of the chain coming off.
Thanks for response.
Dwain

Hi Dwain, The Townie 8i is a fine bike with the backing and support of Trek. Your Townie / Trek dealer can address the possibility of chain
'drop' ( as they like to call it) A good and competent Bike Shop will be honest with you. The Townie 8 i has been out for a few years
so your dealer can and I'm sure will be glad to share their experience.

You may know this, but the frame geometry for the Townie is designed so when you come to a stop you can
place you feet directly on the ground...A great safety feature. The Pedego may have a similar design ?

If you have any doubts about whether you'd like a throttle, test ride a Pedego.

Have you seen Court's ( owner of EBR) review of the Townie 8i ?

John

Hi Dwain,

Be sure to "envision yourselves" riding bikes that you will brag about for years to everyone.

Like "How 'bout the flat black and baby blue paint jobs, wicked cool ?"

Ed: Maybe Florescent orange & baby blue?

Mike

Back