Qualisports Dolphin vs Lectric XP

@Mateo's Dad We have a Qualisports Dolphin and a Lectric XP Step Thru with shipping in final transport segment (after similar long wait). For sure, there are weak spots and compromises with both.

Top speed is often artificially governed by power-assist controller settings - to reduce hub-motor heat and preserve lifespan during a wide spectrum of possible consumer climates, terrain, and application. Knowing that, one of the first things we did was disable the nanny power-assist controls on the Dolphin, and retrofit with a 11t freewheel. It can now easily cruise with traffic at 28-30mph. IMO, as a cyclist, it's much safer to move at a comfortable traffic speed, and not be perceived as a mobile chicane to be overcome by aggressive drivers behind you - that's when accidents happen.

The Dolphin battery is colossal, in hindsight, too big for my needs, and very likely the full 60 mile range on flat even pavement. It's also a $450 Achilles heel in terms of bike security. It doesn't lock at all, so had to create a custom 10mm steel cable "leash" to tether the seat/seatpost (battery) to the frame, to leave the bike locked and unattended for short, high-traffic, daylight periods. Wasn't that hard to do, but Qualisports should offer/bundle an OEM solution to nearly every buyer's real-world security situation. The pigtail battery connector also has some exposure if the commute involves vegetated trails.

On the Lectric, we already don't like the battery key positioning, the frame decals, pedals, knobby-tires, 14t freewheel, the missing front rack M6 adapter (found on almost every other folder), and the missing M5 bottle cage rivnuts for standard accessories (like our Boomerang GPS bike alarm). May have to drill some holes and pull some rivnut anchors, not a huge dealbreaker. Will post pics on the Lectric board in the New Year.
hello, could you help me by explaining to what specific numbers you changed in the settings? I adjusted mine but still can't get above 21/22 mph. The Freewheel is altering the bike itself so you can pedal harder?

Back