Purchased a pre-built e-bike. Wasn't happy with the power output, looking for help in going the DIY route.

Marvin_rock

Purchased a pre-built bike, not happy with it, and I cried about it here - The manufacturer has been great about it all and is willing to let me return it for a full refund (minus restocking fee). My biggest problems were lack of power/range (and it wasn't yellow, but that's another story), so I'm deciding to go DIY.

I have two bikes right now that are available for a DIY. A 2015 Big Shot Fixie that I LOVE and a 2013 Motobecane 400HT which... well, it's there.

I ride 100% on flats, urban environment. Hilliest thing I encounter is a curb. So Torque isn't a huge deal, I want straight-away sustained speed and range. I'm all about pedal-assist, as I'm a fitness junkie, so having to put in *some* work for the speed isn't remotely a deal-breaker.

Here's my questions in fancy list format.

1) Can I install a BBSHD on the Fixie? Will having it be a single speed be a problem?

2) If I install on the Fixie - it doesn't have any screwholes for battery placement, suggestions for secure battery location?

3) Will a BBSHD fit on the 400HT? Bikes direct doesn't list the bottom bracket size, I have no idea if will even work.

4) Battery placement on the 400HT? I don't think there is room for the Luna Wolf pack.

5) Why aren't there more better Belt-Drive ebikes that does require me to get a home-equity loan to afford! (sub-question, why aren't there more yellow ebikes!)

6) It seems the BBSHD 68-73mm is out of stock? Does anyone know when it will be back in stock?

Interesting you would prefer a belt drive. They are marketed as a less maintenance option, but yet you want to scratch build an eBike. No idea what your bikes are, so can't help with specific information. Many put the battery in a triangular bag hung on the top tube, or on a rack. Study using a mid drive on an aluminum bike if that is your case. Some report distortion in the bottom bracket tube, preventing ever converting the bicycle back.

Interesting you would prefer a belt drive. They are marketed as a less maintenance option, but yet you want to scratch build an eBike. No idea what your bikes are, so can't help with specific information. Many put the battery in a triangular bag hung on the top tube, or on a rack. Study using a mid drive on an aluminum bike if that is your case. Some report distortion in the bottom bracket tube, preventing ever converting the bicycle back.
No plans to convert back. I linked what both the bikes were, directly to the pages with the tech specs, figured that would be easier than copy/pasting non-relevant information. The belt drive bike was the pre-built one that I purchased and was unhappy with, I wished there were more options, there are very few belt-drive ebikes. The decision to go DIY was born out of the unhappiness with the belt drive bike.

You won't be happy with a mid drive (capable of 1000 watts) on a fixed gear bike. And unless you have one heck of a large front sprocket, you'll be peddling faster than a gerbil being chased by Rotweiller to even reach 20. For mounting the battery, install some rivnuts if there are no bottle cage bosses. If it was an Evelo you have, and with the NuVinci, not surprising you won't get over 25. Just not enough gear ratio there to go faster. Would have been better off with external gear drive on the rear, if you wanted to go faster than 25. On the 400HT, you are going to lose the front 3 sprockets, going with a Bafang Mid drive (one sprocket only). There's enough torque there where you might get away with the largest available chain ring, so you don't have to pedal like a gerbil.... Though likely will need a new and longer chain if its more teeth than your current largest sprocket on the front.

So it looks like the 400HT is the way to go then. Really REALLY love my Big Shot, but it is what it is. The HT is probably safer to ride anyway with the bigger tires. Appreciate the input. Now I just have to wait for the BBSHD to come back in stock.

You can always get a threadless bottom bracket. I went from a BBS02 back to a regular bike. It worked great.

I had a BBS02 on that road bike with 700c x 23mm tires and a 52 tooth front chainring (11t rear). With pedaling, I was getting up to 35 mph that was fun and scary all at the same time. I had 30 year old single pivot brakes on it so braking was just average. Emergency braking caused the rear wheel to slide to the left and right because there was no rubber grip.

After coming to my senses, I realized it was more stable on a mountain bike also lowered the chain ring down to 42t to make it easier to pedal.

Back