Purchase advice : hesitating between two bikes

Salva846

Hello,

I would like to acquire an e-bike, I already did a lot research on the last couple of days but I am still new to the topic. Right now I am hesitating between two models which are a bit different :

- BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City Two : considerably lighter (18kg), but has a less powerful Shimano E6100 60Nm motor, a smaller battery (418Wh)

- Giant Explore E+ 1 PRO GTS : over 40% heavier at 26kg, but has a more powerful motor (Yamaha SyncDrive Pro 80Nm) and a 20% bigger battery (500Wh).

I also like the fact that the Giant has its battery incorporated in the frame so it's less obvious from the first glance that it's an expensive e-bike / I assume also harder to steal the battery (bike theft is a big issue where I live).

Is looking at the weight even relevant for an e-bike ? Or does the motor compensate for that so that it does not really matter anymore ? Some extra information :

- My daily commute would be around 20km, pretty flat. I would possibly go on occasional weekend bike trips but likely no more than 50km at once.

- I live in Europe so the assist is limited to 25km/h but I am thinking about having it unlocked (a significant portion of my commute are large straight roads with close to 0 traffic where I would easily be able to ride faster than 25km/h on a normal bike) - is it easier to do on one of these models maybe ?

I'm also open to suggestions for other bikes in the same price range (3000-3500€, flexible). Initially I wanted to get a Giant Fastroad E+ EX PRO but it is unfortunately sold out in my country and will not be produced again in its 2020 version.

Thank you !

Hello, I would like to acquire an e-bike, I already did a lot of research on the last couple of days but I am still new to the topic. Right now I am hesitating between two models which are a bit different :
- BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City Two: considerably lighter (18kg), but has a less powerful Shimano E6100 60Nm motor, a smaller battery (418Wh)
- Giant Explore E+ 1 PRO GTS: over 40% heavier at 26kg, but has a more powerful motor (Yamaha SyncDrive Pro 80Nm) and a 20% bigger battery (500Wh).
I also like the fact that the Giant has its battery incorporated in the frame so it's less obvious from the first glance that it's an expensive e-bike / I assume also harder to steal the battery (bike theft is a big issue where I live). Is looking at the weight even relevant for an e-bike? Or does the motor compensate for that so that it does not really matter anymore? Some extra information :
- My daily commute would be around 20km, pretty flat. I would possibly go on occasional weekend bike trips but likely no more than 50km at once.
- I live in Europe so the assist is limited to 25km/h but I am thinking about having it unlocked (a significant portion of my commute are large straight roads with close to 0 traffic where I would easily be able to ride faster than 25km/h on a normal bike) - is it easier to do on one of these models maybe?
I'm also open to suggestions for other bikes in the same price range (3000-3500€, flexible). Initially, I wanted to get a Giant Fastroad E+ EX PRO but it is unfortunately sold out in my country and will not be produced again in its 2020 version. Thank you!

Welcome to EBR. 😉 Here are a few things to consider...
  • I like both of your choices and also own bikes with the Shimano and Yamaha drive systems.
  • The Shimano system has less torque and can provide increased range, but is offset with a smaller battery.
  • The Yamaha system has more torque and can provide better acceleration and climbing power with a larger battery.
  • The Yamaha battery integration looks nice, however, the Shimano battery can easily be unlocked and charged indoors.
You can't go wrong with either the BMC or Giant... I would probably go with the BMC due to the better specs and the lightweight frame.

Last edited:
The AMP looks like a nice bike, but I personally have zero knowledge of it. But I have two equivalent bikes to the Explore.
Weight for a ebike is less of an issue due to the assist system, but generally people like the fancier up-scale carbon fiber feature. I dunno, the actual frame weight difference is generally quite minimal. i guess what I'm trying to say it that I would not choose a bike based on weight. It would be on features, how it rides, do I like the way it looks and handles. As an overall design configuration I would tend to prefer my Giant. The AMP rear suspension does not impress, and the steps 600 is an inferior assist system. And yes, the Giant has a much nicer power pack integration I would choose it on looks and performance much moreso than one being more theft-proof. Both have Deore gears, and 700c wheels. 40c tires are pretty skinny on a ebike. Even my 47mm tires tend to get replaced with 50's, or even 55's. 'Balloon tires' - go a lot toward improving overall ride comfort.
Lights and fenders don't mean much to me, but surely do to some.

So I would recommend testing them both, then compare features and components, build quality, and price. Decide which makes you want to own, then make your best deal.

I will also say that for a ebike, choosing a competent dealer for after purchase support can be the difference between joy and frustration in the overall ownership experience.

As far as Giant, they are the largest bike company in the world, have an excllent dealer network, and generally enjoy a very favorable reputation for quality, performance, and value. I liked the first one so well I bought two more. That said, there are plenty of other bikes just as nice and just as capable.

Good luck and let us know what you find, what you decide.

Oh, and a 700c wheeled hybrid is a joy to ride. Easy pedaling, good speed, performance is excellent. And there's a good selection of tires available in a variety of sizes and tread patterns to suit.

Thanks for your answers !
What about the carbon belt drive and the hub gears on the BMC, does that make a significant difference ?
I'll definitely try testing them both if I manage to find a dealer nearby who has them.

Hi,
Small feedback - I went to a nearby shop, they didn't have these exact models but I could try some pretty close ones

- The Yamaha SyncDrive Pro engine seemed MUCH more powerful than the Shimano E6100 and could more than offset the higher weight
- The BMC felt very rigid which is I guess due to the relatively thin 37mm tires (metric system, sorry not sorry ;)) with no suspension. The Giant I tried also had no suspension, but the 61mm tires made it more comfortable to ride.
- The Giant frame is bigger than it seems on the photos (and it was a 375Wh version, I guess 500Wh is even bigger), but I still prefer the seamless battery integration to BMC's solution

So I'm leaning towards the Giant and will consider having it unlocked, because the 25kmh (~16mph) EU limitation is quite frustrating and it seems the Yamaha motor could do much more. I'm still able to reach around 30kmh pretty easily but both bikes are quite heavy with zero assistance. Does anyone have experience about the speeds it's possible to reach comfortably with that motor and how it affects the battery range ?

Sorry, I don't know anything about either the geared hub or the belt drive. The bikes I found listed for that company had a derailleur and chain - the industry standard setup.
Some riders seem to be fans of them, then someone else here got one and had no idea how to change a flat. It would not be my first choice. Surely someone will come along here and tell you how great they are. LOL

Last edited:
They'll go 50km unlocked if you can pedal that fast. LOL
And yeah, sucks the battery. 😁
But surely do-able for US speeds to 30-35km/hr.
500w will generally give you 60km or more, depending on total weight, speed, and how many hills. 375W might might work for some, but definitely shortens up the range. The extra pack option is, well, an option. ;)
I didn't think they were doing that on the Explore - just the 400w pack. You might double check specs. Your sales person may be blowing smoke, too.

And just to give you an idea, the Explore has the 'sport' version of the Yamaha assist - the pro model is even more powerful. The sport is plenty for the Explore - and we have two of them - they are fantastic bikes.

thanks for the advice, I ordered the Giant Explore Pro with 500Wh - they also make it with a Pro assist in my country since this year
i'm sold on the Yamaha motor and I realized I'd rather have extra comfort than a few kgs less weight
looking forward ! i'll also have a look at unlocking options
Congratulations! I'm late to this thread and was just about to chime in with my thoughts and recommendation for the Giant when I saw your last post saying you'd decided, and ordered. Good for you!

I WISH the E+1 GTS would be available in North America, and I really don't understand the logic Giant used to decide against bringing that model in. I bought my 2019 Explore E+1 GTS at the very end of last year when I found out there wouldn't be a 2020 in NA and when I saw there was really no other model for 2020 that I'd like as much.

I LOVE my E+1 GTS! But it would be nice to have the 2020 model, mostly for the newer sensor and other small improvements.

I'm sure you will be very happy with it. Have you ridden one? What frame size are you getting? I'd tried a medium frame E+3 before buying and found that riding it was okay but getting on and/or coming to a stop made the bike a bit too high for me (I've got short legs). So I ordered the very last 2019 E+1 GTS with small frame in Canada and while the height it good, I found the "cockpit" to be very cramped and then had to change handlebar stem and seat post to get the reach I needed.

I am all for the Giant. One of my e-bikes is a Giant with SyncDrive Pro: It's just fantastic and powerful. I advised a friend to buy the Giant Explore E+ 0 Pro and she's happy. Giant e-bikes can be unlocked. Mine Trance E+ 2 Pro has been just unlocked (don't unlock before the first warranty service was made after 200 km; besides, the derestrictor setup a painful process, I have made a thread in the Giant Forum here). Giant has the strongest and dedicated network of dealer LBS: Easy service and maintenance.

I know nothing of the BMC. Will you have a LBS nearby to be able to service the bike? (Irrelevant since you have already ordered the Giant).

- The Giant frame is bigger than it seems on the photos (and it was a 375Wh version, I guess 500Wh is even bigger),
It's not. The EnergyPak battery has the same size for all Giant e-bikes with the integrated battery, is is an e-MTB or the Explore. Different energy density cells are used in different capacity batteries.

Last edited:
What's that old adage about 'he who hesitates' is...

Lol.

Anyway, the Yamaha is the best and most reliable mid drive motor on the market, bar none.

Congratulations! I'm late to this thread and was just about to chime in with my thoughts and recommendation for the Giant when I saw your last post saying you'd decided, and ordered. Good for you!

I WISH the E+1 GTS would be available in North America, and I really don't understand the logic Giant used to decide against bringing that model in. I bought my 2019 Explore E+1 GTS at the very end of last year when I found out there wouldn't be a 2020 in NA and when I saw there was really no other model for 2020 that I'd like as much.

I LOVE my E+1 GTS! But it would be nice to have the 2020 model, mostly for the newer sensor and other small improvements.

I'm sure you will be very happy with it. Have you ridden one? What frame size are you getting? I'd tried a medium frame E+3 before buying and found that riding it was okay but getting on and/or coming to a stop made the bike a bit too high for me (I've got short legs). So I ordered the very last 2019 E+1 GTS with small frame in Canada and while the height it good, I found the "cockpit" to be very cramped and then had to change handlebar stem and seat post to get the reach I needed.
I tried a Fastroad E+ EX PRO in M, which uses the same motor SyncDrive Pro and had me really sold.
The one I ordered is a L frame, i'm 1m82 tall (6ft i think?) but I've got pretty long legs and arms.

I am all for the Giant. One of my e-bikes is a Giant with SyncDrive Pro: It's just fantastic and powerful. I advised a friend to buy the Giant Explore E+ 0 Pro and she's happy. Giant e-bikes can be unlocked. Mine Trance E+ 2 Pro has been just unlocked (don't unlock before the first warranty service was made after 200 km; besides, the derestrictor setup a painful process, I have made a thread in the Giant Forum here). Giant has the strongest and dedicated network of dealer LBS: Easy service and maintenance.

I know nothing of the BMC. Will you have a LBS nearby to be able to service the bike? (Irrelevant since you have already ordered the Giant).

It's not. The EnergyPak battery has the same size for all Giant e-bikes with the integrated battery, is is an e-MTB or the Explore. Different energy density cells are used in different capacity batteries.
I just saw your thread - the process seems much more complicated than I thought !
Well, I'll wait until I have chance to use it a bit. How does riding full speed / unlocked affect the range ? Do you have a 500Wh version ?

I tried a Fastroad E+ EX PRO in M, which uses the same motor SyncDrive Pro and had me really sold.
The one I ordered is a L frame
, i'm 1m82 tall (6ft i think?) but I've got pretty long legs and arms.

I just saw your thread - the process seems much more complicated than I thought !
Well, I'll wait until I have chance to use it a bit. How does riding full speed / unlocked affect the range ? Do you have a 500Wh version ?
It's too late now (since you've ordered) but one thing I learned is that the bike geometry is different among different models of bike, so that a M (or L) frame size in one model is not necessarily the same in another model. So, for the benefit of anyone else thinking of ordering a bike, I just want to stress the importance of trying or at least sitting on, a bike of the same model and size as you plan on buying. Just because a M is right on one model doesn't mean it'll be right on another.

But I'm sure you'll be alright!

(I'm 5'7" or 1.7M tall, but the important measurement for me is my inseam length... I buy pants with a 30" inseam or 0.76m.)

thanks for the advice, I ordered the Giant Explore Pro with 500Wh - they also make it with a Pro assist in my country since this year
i'm sold on the Yamaha motor and I realized I'd rather have extra comfort than a few kgs less weight
looking forward ! i'll also have a look at unlocking options

Congratulations on your new Giant... you will be very happy with the Yamaha drive system.

Let us know how you like the bike when you have ridden a few miles and want more speed. ;)

Back